It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #1

bbworaldelights HB User
Exclamation How long does semen stay in the vagina.?

Forgive me if this sounds like a very stupid question to you, but I'm over 20 and recently became sexually active with my boyfriend. I use birth control pills, and neither of us have any sexual diseases.

My question is, how long does a man's semen stay inside your vagina? And should I be doing something to clean it out of me specifically, or does that happen by itself when you have a bath.? Sorry to sound like a dunce, but I came from a strict family where sex was a no no topic.!

Old 01-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

sdp HB User
Re: How long does semen stay in the vagina.?

Semen can live in the vagina up to 7 days. Since you are on birth control, then it really doesn't matter even though there is a very small failure rate. But basically, the answer to your question is that there is no good or effective way to expel semen from your vagina. And yes, it will run out of the vagina by itself

Last edited by sdp; 01-14-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

InfiniteMystery HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbworaldelights
Forgive me if this sounds like a very stupid question to you, but I'm over 20 and recently became sexually active with my boyfriend. I use birth control pills, and neither of us have any sexual diseases.

My question is, how long does a man's semen stay inside your vagina? And should I be doing something to clean it out of me specifically, or does that happen by itself when you have a bath.? Sorry to sound like a dunce, but I came from a strict family where sex was a no no topic.!
If you can, pee after sex - it sort of flushes everything out. It's also good if you can pee before as well. So..... drink lots of water!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

sdp HB User

Peeing after sex doesn't flush anything out except bacteria from the urethra. But sitting on the toilet allows the semen to run out of the vagina via gravity.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdp For This Useful Post:
almorr (05-16-2012)
Old 01-14-2004, 11:44 AM   #5

undercover angel HB User

Quote:
If you can, pee after sex - it sort of flushes everything out. It's also good if you can pee before as well. So..... drink lots of water!
Those are two different holes, there is no way that by peeing, you will flush out any semen. Sorry.
On a different note, I think the second poster said it takes 7 days and I had heard 8. Not really a big difference at all. But you might want to ask your gyno about that. But i do think it is 7-8 days.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
The seven or eight days is in reference to how long it is possible for semen to still be alive. Not necessarily in the vagina. Semen is supposed to make its way through the cervix and head off too the falopian tubes. Anything left in the vagina isn't going to stay there long thanks to gravity and vaginas being relatively self cleaning.

And as already mentioned, peeing isn't going to flush anything out of the vagina, but the act of sitting on the toilet and bearing down after intercourse might get rid of most of it. As for getting it out while bathing, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'd recommend against getting any bathwater into your vagina.

Usually semen just drips out ( ...that's why I like condoms)

Last edited by Thisby; 01-14-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #7

Ashton'sMommy HB User

Thisby exactly... nothing worse than having to clean u after sex for 3 hour drippage.. ugh!! sick..

Anyways... sperm can live up to 120 hours or 5 days and still make it to the egg to fertilize it.

It really is irrelevant though as to how long sperm live inside your vagina because within minutes millions of sperm have already made their way past your cervix and up into your tubes waiting for that egg to be released. Once they get to that point there is nothing you can do to flush them out. they can survive up to 5 days in the tubes and if you release an egg anytime after that point of sexual contact it can be fertilized.

Last edited by Ashton'sMommy; 01-15-2004 at 07:38 AM.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #8

Babs66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteMystery
If you can, pee after sex - it sort of flushes everything out.
When you pee, your vagina muscles relax, allowing semen do come out. Naturally, gravity plays a part as well. Have you ever noticed that a gush of semen can come out hours later after sex? It's because your muscles can hold that fluid in. Just like when you are on your period and you pass gas...a gush of blood can come out.

Its just all soo crazy and kind of hard to explain. I hope I'm making sense.

A song by Prince comes to mind...LOL ***** control

Babs

Closed Thread