It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

Reina90 HB User
i keep getting yeast infections

I've been getting yeast infections every month since I started having sex with my boyfriend. Does anyone know what's up with this? Does anyone else have problems with continual yeast? I'm tired of dealing with this. Maybe momostat is not strong enough and doesn't kill all the yeast like it used to. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User
Re: i keep getting yeast infections

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately, and here's some of the stuff I've gathered. If you have chronic yeast infections, you should get tested for diabetes - yeast loves sugar and breeds easily in a high sugar environment.

In general, look into your diet... try cutting down on refined sugars (soda, candy, store bought fruit juice) and alcohol especially. Drink a lot of water, and drink unsweetened cranberry juice. yeast doesn't thrive in acidic environments. I've also read some that the vagina can become less acidic after sex and also during menstruation, so increasing the acidity may be your best bet since it started when you started having sex with your boyfriend.

Try taking acidophilus pills.. acidophilus is the good bacteria that lives in your vagina and intestinal tract. It releases hydrogen peroxide, which keeps the yeast population down. You can also use the pills as a suppository.

Also, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So if you've found Monistat is just not helping you anymore, you may want to look into home remedies like yogurt, garlic suppositories, tea tree oil, boric acid, and a few others that you can find information on if you look online.

Also look into your hygiene. Wear 100% cotton panties, and don't wear underpants to bed. If you go swimming or exercise, shower and put on clean, dry clothes soon after. If you must wear pantyhose, make sure they have a cotton crotch. Don't use chemical douches; your vagina can clean itself. Use water, not perfumed soap, to clean the area around your vagina. Use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry the area after a shower. Basically the philosophy is keep yourself clean, dry, and chemical free around there.

But first, see a doctor and make sure you don't have an underlying problem. Then try some of this stuff. If you want more details on the home remedy treatments, just ask or do some further research. There are a lot of detailed sites explaining how to use each of the things I've listed.

Last edited by novembre; 02-08-2004 at 04:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User

Something I completely forgot to mention.. since you say the yeast infections started when you started having sex with your boyfriend, it's possible that your boyfriend has a yeast infection also. Guys can get yeast infections too, and they often won't have any symptoms. Yeast infections are sexually transmissible. Look for information on treating yeast infections in men. That may be one of your problems here.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
sexygreeneyes

The doctor had told me when I had one that most women who get repeated yeast infections get it back from their boyfriends. I think novembre is right, its probably from your b/f

Old 02-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

Reina90 HB User

But we use condoms...could I still be getting it from him??
Also, does anyone know if oral sex can cause yeast infections?? I know we all have a little yeast in our mouths..but not much. Could I be getting it from oral sex?

Thanks for your insight.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User

I don't know a lot about this, but there was a study done that concluded it is possible for oral sex to create conditions that will cause yeast infections in women.. something having to do with the way the vagina reacts to saliva and not necessarily due to yeast in his mouth. This might be the culprit if you do it a lot.

The best thing for you to do to see if it is indeed being caused by some kind of sex is to try going without for a certain amount of time and seeing if the conditions improve. Go without the oral for a month or so and see what happens. In the meantime, altering your diet and/or hygeine in the ways I listed earlier probably wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by novembre; 02-09-2004 at 02:47 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #7

agmee HB User

I've been having the same problem...never thought to connect the b/f. Thanks!!

Old 02-09-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran

camden HB User

The bcp can do it also. I had yeast infections every month while on it!

Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #9

Cathyy HB User

Hello,
I started getting yeast infections several months ago or what I thought were yeast infections. It was time for my gyn exam and it turned out normal. I couldn't believe it. Talked to a friend about it and she asked me what I'm eating different. My dad is a diabetic and I read where women should eat a few teaspoons of peanut butter daily to prevent getting it. It all added up then. I'm allergic to peanut butter. Never had this problem before but it showed up after eating it daily. I stopped the peanut butter and my problem went a way. Have you been eating anything different lately? or taking a different vitamin? The friend that I talked to had this problem because she was taking garlic supplements. Hope this helped someone. I would have never figured it out on my own.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
Inactive

Dillard02 HB User

I used to get them alot too. My gyno told me to start taking acidopholus pills, which you can buy over the counter. They have helped me tremendously. I haven't had one in over 2 years Try this and some of the other things about being clean & dry, and do not use a douche. If you have trouble with yeast infections, you should not douche at all. It was away all of the good bacteri. Also... antibiotics sometimes will cause yeast infections. Good Luck!
I know they can be miserable.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
(female)

Reina90 HB User

You guys are great. I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks for all the advice. And novembre -- thanks for all your info. It's great to have this support even though we are all behind our computers. I'm going to start taking acidophilus, eating yogurt, and cranberry juice, and stop having oral sex for a while. I'll report back on this when I learn anything new for anyone who is having similar problems. Peace.

Jayland.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
Veteran

ana_24 HB User

There is a pill called Duflican I believe. Your doctor can prescribe it. You take one and if needed a second one after a week and it solves the problem. It's really the best way to treat a yeast infection. I had one last month and the next day after taking the pill, my symptoms were gone.

Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #13

itchiness HB User

I have a similar problem. I have only had two yeast infections, so I wouldn't exactly call them recurrent, but I have been told by a doctor to get tested for diabetes. Should it be an extreme concern for me? I am very very nervous about it. Also, is it possible to have a yeast infection and not have any yeast found in the vagina? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchiness
is it possible to have a yeast infection and not have any yeast found in the vagina? Thanks.
This i'm wondering about too. I've been getting a discharge that looks just like yeast but it was tested and nothing unusual was found about it. Then why the discharge?!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:36 AM   #15

mossimo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayland
But we use condoms...could I still be getting it from him??
Also, does anyone know if oral sex can cause yeast infections?? I know we all have a little yeast in our mouths..but not much. Could I be getting it from oral sex?

Thanks for your insight.
You can't get vaginal yeast infections from oral sex. You can get oral yeast infections, but this tends to only happen in people with compromised immune systems (like people with HIV). If you go to ***** they offer some advice on what to do about recurrent vaginal yeast infections.

Closed Thread