It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Thumbs up baking soda as "feminine" cleanser

There are countless "feminine" products to clean the genital area, but it seems that all the chemicals in them can't actually be beneficial.

I have read about some douches that contain vinegar and some that contain baking soda as the cleansing aids. I do not plan on douching because i know the risks.

But i was thinking, could a baking soda/warm water mixture be used to clean the outer genitals? I tried it last night before going to bed, and the area still smells clean this morning.

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to do. I figure, if baking soda is gentle enough to ingest, then why not take advantage of it's deodorizing properties and use it to cleanse a sensitive area?

What's your take on this?

Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: baking soda as "feminine" cleanser

Baking soda is often used as a scouring cleaner because of it's abrasiveness. It's not the most gentle thing to use to wash a tender area.

Women are too hung up on their genital odor. They spend thousands a year trying to mask what nature bestowed on them. The female secretions have an odor because they are meant to! They contain pharemones that are attractive the the male species. Most men detest the smell of feminine hygiene products and prefer clean and natural. Imagine being the poor guy wanting to pleasure his partner orally and getting a taste of FDS power?!
Yuck

Shower daily. Wipe from front to back. Wash the genitals with mild soap and water twice a day and that's all you need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealmeal
There are countless "feminine" products to clean the genital area, but it seems that all the chemicals in them can't actually be beneficial.

I have read about some douches that contain vinegar and some that contain baking soda as the cleansing aids. I do not plan on douching because i know the risks.

But i was thinking, could a baking soda/warm water mixture be used to clean the outer genitals? I tried it last night before going to bed, and the area still smells clean this morning.

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to do. I figure, if baking soda is gentle enough to ingest, then why not take advantage of it's deodorizing properties and use it to cleanse a sensitive area?

What's your take on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyana
Baking soda is often used as a scouring cleaner because of it's abrasiveness. It's not the most gentle thing to use to wash a tender area.

Women are too hung up on their genital odor. They spend thousands a year trying to mask what nature bestowed on them. The female secretions have an odor because they are meant to! They contain pharemones that are attractive the the male species. Most men detest the smell of feminine hygiene products and prefer clean and natural. Imagine being the poor guy wanting to pleasure his partner orally and getting a taste of FDS power?!
Yuck

Shower daily. Wipe from front to back. Wash the genitals with mild soap and water twice a day and that's all you need to do.
Well that's true that the natural smell of a woman can be a good thing. But there are a number of women out there who could benefit from some scent control. Not to be gross but have you ever gone to a public bathroom after a woman with strong feminine order has just been there? YUCK!

And what surrealmeal was talking about is not masking the sent but deodorizing and cleaning. And backing soda once it's mixed with warm water is not that harsh.

I agree with you that staying clean is all you really need. But some women have stronger scents, or need more deodorant down there then others. I say as long as it does not cause any irritation that there isn't any problem with it. It's not like she's covering up bad hygiene with perfume or taking a brillow pad to it.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

Ha! Funny mental image. I wasn't planning on piling on mounds of baking soda and just scrubbing away. It's not abrasive at all once it is diluted in warm water. Katyana did you read the first line of my original post? I am not into store-bought feminine hygiene soaps or powders, that is why i posted this. I am not trying to cover up my natural smell either, i am simply wanting to stay clean and fresh.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealmeal
Ha! Funny mental image. I wasn't planning on piling on mounds of baking soda and just scrubbing away. It's not abrasive at all once it is diluted in warm water. Katyana did you read the first line of my original post? I am not into store-bought feminine hygiene soaps or powders, that is why i posted this. I am not trying to cover up my natural smell either, i am simply wanting to stay clean and fresh.
I keep baking soda in my fridge to help kill oder... doesn't make all my food taste or smell like baking soda. I would assume the same would hold true to your use of it. HAHA

Old 03-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

tescak HB User

I actually tried something similar once. Be sure to rinse off well, though. I was noticing after a couple of days there was some itching that stopped shortly I stopped. My theory was always that it raised the pH enough to allow things to grow that wouldn't otherwise, but I stopped soon enough that the pH corrected itself and a problem was averted. But then, it might have been irritation, who knows?

Old 03-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #7

nightangel00 HB User

baking soda sounds harsh to me. I dont know but over the years I have found that ALL of those scenting items are harsh. And see the reaction I have with all. I dont get any itching, I instead bleed almost like if I have my period. And how sensitive am I that even using scented bodywash while showering rinsing the area with plenty of water I dont know how it gets inside there but again I bleed. The only liquid bodywashes I can use have to be for sensitive skin and they have to be non scented. I say this in case some have unexplained spotting check out if they are cleaning with scented bodywashes. So the best recomendation, soap and water thats all needed and someone previously mentioned. Have a bidet installed in your toilet if you wish. I personally found that keeping the hair short down helped so you might want to try that too.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

hahah, that's funny JLKH. Thanks again everyone for your replies. Well, i am going to ask a professional about this and once i get the answer, i'll get back to you all. If it turns out that it is too harsh, then i'll just pick up some of my favorite unscented Dove bar for sensitive skin.

Closed Thread