It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #1

Drury18 HB User
Skin irritation, "cuts" inside vulva lips

Odd question I guess.

I have dry skin on most of my body, and I seem to have dry skin on the inner part of my vulva lips, the "pink" part. Anyway, I am also finding I get cut looking things. Kind of like splits on your hands, but I am getting them on the inner part of my lips, not in the vincinity of either the vagina or the urethra. It is basically off to one side, in the middle. They are quite painful and seem to be more irritated after using toliet paper to dry myself or wearing pants that are quite close and rub slightly against me.

I have had this for a few months, pretty much after I changed my underwear preference to thongs. I know it is not an STD, and the apperance of the cuts looks just like a chunk of skin is missing and its a reddish open sore. The other irritated parts look quite red with little white bumps...well not bumps but just irritated parts.

I was wondering if anyone knows any little home remedies to lessen the irritation. Its just very annoying because urinating makes it burn more (something acidic kind of burns on an open cut), wiping is painful because it irritates it, and pants are irritating.

Is it safe to put a cream like dermabase (unscented, calm creme that I can use on my eyes) on the cuts and dry skin to heal it? Or do I just need to wait it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

ScarlettGA HB User
Re: Skin irritation, "cuts" inside vulva lips

Hi Drury18 - I read your post and it reminded me of a program I watched on tv - Berman & Berman(?) - both doctors who speak on female related issues. One of the programs was on wearing thongs. Much of what you described I heard about on their program. They said that thongs can cause all sorts of ailments for women - chaffing, irritations and even yeast infections were among some that I remember them mentioning. You might want to switch back to your basic white cotton underwear until the problem clears. You might try using some medicated vaseline to help relieve the irritation - my doctor recommended it to me once for an irritation I had at one time and it worked. If that doesn't work I'd go see a doctor and have it checked out - Hope this helps. Take Care...Scarlett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
Inactive

NatureGirl61 HB User

Please consult your family doctor or an ob/gyn for antibiotic creams that will help heal the cut. I had it when I was young, and it was definitely painful!
The over-the-counter (OTC) creams wouldn't help much. Prescribed creams are much better.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #4

Drury18 HB User

I have switched back to the cotton underwear. Just for the fact I was finding the band on the thong was irritating. I heard that thongs weren't the best thing in the world, but the young stupid part of me thinks its nice to wear them. I guess that's the naive part of me in all this.

I've had this off an on enough times so I'll try the vaseline.

I don't have the insurance or a doctor/obgyn to see so I have to home remedy this. Plus, depending on what is in the medication is, chances are I'm allergic to it. Unfortunately, I have extensive allergies to medications...the list of what I can have is shorter then the not. I've had creams with cortisone and other soothing agents and I reacted worse to those on other parts of my body so I'm not too keen to put it on more sensative parts.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
Inactive

NatureGirl61 HB User

I don't know if Neosprin is the answer, but have you tried it? Maybe it will help, but then I don't know if you can use it on your vulva lips?

Maybe you may want to try wearing loose pants or jeans, or dresses more often until the cut is healed. If you have been wearing tight jeans, that might aggravate the pain.

Another thought -- what kind of laundry soap did you use to wash your clothes? Maybe you need to avoid powdery laundry soap and use liquid soap instead.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:33 PM   #6

Drury18 HB User

I've yet to try Neosporin, but I may try it. That is one of the few things I can use. I believe I could use it cause its not "internal" if you will. Its still in the flesh part of the vulva and far enough away from the vagina and urethra to move to that way. I may try it. Cannot do much harm.

I have been wearing tighter pants with the thongs...my work pants are all higher, tighter ones that are more the snug in that area. I didn't even put that together. I'll have to wear my skirts then and let it heal.

I use Arm and Hammer liquid soap. Its the baking soda type of soap.

My #1 guess for the culprit is the thongs and the brand of toliet paper we use. I've heard that can cause some irritation.

I dunno, its just annoying. I mean I don't believe its anything bad since I've had it before and it usually only lasts a few days before clearing up, or easing. This time it hasn't gone away quite as fast, but I've also been irritating it more.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Inactive

NatureGirl61 HB User

I have never thought of toilet paper as a culprit, but come to think of it, it does make sense. I don't know if you have been using scented toilet paper, but if you have, I would suggest that you don't use it. Use the soft ones like Charmin. Scented toilet paper, menstrual pads, etc., are always bad for women. There is something about the scent (chemicals) that usually irritates women down there. Perhaps you should refrain from using anything that is scented or has some kind of perfume.

I do hope you will feel better soon!

Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #8

Drury18 HB User

I'm not sure if its scented or not. I don't usually look that close at my toliet paper. I think we use Royale...but I don't know about the scent.

I don't use scented menstrual pads. There is actually only one brand I can use since the rest give me HORRIBLE rashes. I'm talking from the stomach to mid thighs. I have really extensive allergies and it seems that I rash and irritate easier then others in that area. One thing I am lucky about, I've never gotten any infections *knock on wood* with all this. I just get really bad irritations.

I seem to be doing better this morning though. Not as bad, although when I used to washroom this morning I noticed that I reopened that cut and it was starting to bleed...nothing more then a small papercut type of thing so I just put some more polysporin on it. Hopefully it'll clear up soon. Like I said, I've had this before so I know its not something doctor worthy, just trying to figure out if there is any mild creams or stuff to use.

Stupid allergies to most medicinal stuff.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #9

Drury18 HB User

Well, I notice now it does look like an actual cut now. The irritation around it was from the thong. Now that the thong is off, you can see an actual 3cm cut in the inner vulva.

I've been finding some relief from polysporin, but I'm guessing now its just a waiting game until this cut heals. It stopped bleeding (although I'm believing that was from wiping too hard) so now its just a little sore and well looks like a cut.

Thanks for all the home remedy idea's. The Polysporin seems to be working so I'll continue with that.

I guess I learned my lesson about thongs. Should also point out, apparently mine had that stretchy elastic band (you know the kind usually around the waist. The elastic piece sewn to the top of the panites) around the leg holes, so it was rubbing the elastic part against my vulva, apparently cutting that part.

Beware of these ladies...when it cuts, IT HURTS

Old 05-24-2004, 04:34 AM   #10

Jenny1086 HB User

One word for you, neosporin... I have the same thing (isn't it horrible) and the neosporin is working well, also wear cotton underwear.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #11

Drury18 HB User

Yea, I tried neosporin too. Its good stuff. And ALL my underwear are cotton now.

Question for you though Jenny, do you get this only from the thongs, or do you also have problems with dry skin in that area cracking and peeling? Kind of like how your hands would do it?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

An external yeast infection can cause your symptoms, as well as a group b strep infection. I have been treated for group b twice, and both times, my symptoms were extremely irritated skin and paper cut looking tears....the pain was horrible when using toilet paper. You may want to look into that.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #13

confused4005 HB User

Drury18 I have had the same problems as well. I do not wear thongs. I thought mine was from wearing to tight of jeans. When I got a looser fit it got better. Then i started getting a rash during that time of month. I have always used pads. They irritated me so bad that I had to switch. That was two months ago. I think this month I will try and see if the rash comes back. I used Aquaqfor on my cuts. I know I did not spell it correctly. It is like a greasy lotion. It is thick almost like vasoline. It seemed to help. I asked my ob/gyno if it was okay to use and she said it was. She thought that some of my irriations was psoriasis. Any way I don't know if any of this helped but I hope so.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 AM   #14

Jenny1086 HB User

yeah its not just thongs, i dont always wear them.. i do have a dry skin problem as well, but i think its due to the lack of nice soft water running throughout my house. and also i guess shaving down there didnt help much..

Old 05-26-2004, 07:10 AM   #15

Drury18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastated
An external yeast infection can cause your symptoms, as well as a group b strep infection. I have been treated for group b twice, and both times, my symptoms were extremely irritated skin and paper cut looking tears....the pain was horrible when using toilet paper. You may want to look into that.
I don't think its that...doesn't sound quite that bad. That sounds like an horrible experience to go through. I don't think I have anything near that bad. My symptoms more resemble that of dry skin that most people get....I wouldn't want to imagine having that.

Confused, that sounds about right. I already have psoriasis on my eyelids quite bad to the point I have splits in them, so I don't find it hard to believe I could get the same in that area.

Like I said, I'm no stranger to dry skin. In the winter months I'm a walking skin rash because its so dry and itchy. So it would make sense to have dry skin. I just wasn't sure if it was possible for someone as young as me (early 20's) to have dry skin since everything about the subject is directed towards menopausol women.

Closed Thread