It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
What causes vaginal itching besides yeast?

I have been having problems with external vaginal itching for the past few months. I thought I had a yeast infection but I bought Monistat 7, and I got an over the phone refill on Diflucan. My outer vagina still itches and I look irritated a bit. I wear cotton underwear, use Dove for sensitive skin soap, use Cheer free without dye and take Acidolphillus tablets. Could my problem just be due to being dry? I am extremely dry in that area and 40. Any advice greatly appreciated, because I am out of ideas. I asked my nurse practioneer about my problem last year (I went through a similar phase last year) she acted like I was causing the problem myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #2

Drury18 HB User
Re: What causes vaginal itching besides yeast?

I'm going through the same type of thing, but I am 20 years younger.

Its not yeast but I do use perfumed soap which I think is causing it.

I do think you can get dry skin there though. If you have sensative skin its possible to have it there too I believe. I'm postive sensative skin is the culprit. Even just too much irriation with regular takes away too much moisture and any soap does it. I'm sure its just a case of extremely sensative skin.

Its almost to get an answer from this board though other then "go see your gyn" or "go see your doctor to see if its yeast" Everyone here seems to be doctor happy and don't realise some people choose not to see them, or exhausted that resource and need home remedies.

Good luck finding advice though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #3

kitty948 HB User

I would say it's probably the dryness. I know that when I have dry skin, no matter where it is, it is usually pretty itchy. I would try to use a gentle lotion after showering, and if you shave, I would use some sort of gentle after shave gel or creme afterwards. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #4

chelespiglets HB User

I would try putting some KY or other type of lotion or lubricant on throughout the day that might help. I had a hyst and I get very dry, so I use astroglide to help keep things moist. Since I started that I have less of a problem now.

Good luck
bye

Old 05-31-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Dove for sensitive skin soap is still soap, it could still be causing you problems, how about things like washing powder, menstrual products, condoms, anything else that may be in contact with your vulva?
It might not be a case of lichen simplex - unless you are scratching it when it itches, this is one of the major causes along with irritants.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User

I did do a search the other day, and I decided that I will try not washing with anything besides water. I agree soap is still soap. I hadn't realized that possibly that might be causing the problem. I am also thinking about using Replens. I see that is highly recommended by doctors as a lubricant for vaginal dryness. Although, I think it is rather expensive.

I am unfamilar with the term of lichen simplex. Although, I have to admit I had given up and scratched on occasion. I have been scratch free for two days.

I do use tampons, but do not use the deodorant type.

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions on my problem.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 AM   #7
(female)

krish01 HB User

try to rub A&D ointment on the outside and on the vulva. Its found by the baby care products. Its very nourishing and wont irritate your skin anymore. It smells like Desitin though

Closed Thread