It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #1

wannaloseweight HB User
Question What are the chances with withdrawal?

My husband and I have been using the withdrawal form of birth control since December. I have not been late one time, however I know there is a chance that I could get pregnant. We are always careful. Has anyone used this method in the past unsuccessfully? Does anyone know anything about using this type of BC. I usually track when I am ovulating but have not been as careful about it lately. We are not trying to get pregnant at this time. Any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #2

raelani HB User
Re: What are the chances with withdrawal?

Hello....
From experience that is not a good way to go if you are really not ready to have a child. My husband and I have done that, and now we have a baby girl.... I asked my doctor the same question, how safe is it? And she laughed at me..... She said that even though the man pulls out before he releases, there are times through out intercourse when he releases some semen, without even knowing it.... Of course it it not nearly as much, but it does contain semen, and all you need is one of them suckers to get out... So if you really dont want to conceive, use protection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I know I'm the rare one, but I've used this method for over 11 years and have never got pregnant. And I know I can get pregnant I have a daughter. Now that I've said this, I've probably jinxed myself and will end up pg!

Old 06-30-2004, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

As a male, that is almost as bad as using a condom as far as pleasure is concerned.
It takes some of the enjoyment out of making love.

It seems to be a lot like Russian Roulette, you will get a few bullets trying it.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

In the medical field, we call those who use withdrawal as a birth control method "Parents"

I agree with Gin2C...if you're going to play Russian Roulette with your birth control you can count on a few "bullets" along the way. (Statistically speaking, withdrawal as a method for preventing pregnancy is about 70% effective)

Last edited by csoar2004; 06-30-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

According to the Planned Parenthood website, the withdrawal method has a 'typical use' failure rate of 27% which means over one year, 27 women out of 100 will end up pregnant when using this method. With 'perfect use' the failure rate is only 4%, but it has to be followed religiously, no mess-ups and no previous ejaculations.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 PM   #7

wannaloseweight HB User

Thanks for all the posts...if we were to end up pregnant it would not be a bad thing. We have not had children yet and have been married a year. Financially speaking we would like to wait a little while, but could certainly afford a child if necessary. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #8

raelani HB User

Well I seem to think no one, no matter how much you say your waiting to be "financially" stable, will ever be ready. I know that if my husband and I said that we were going to wait until we were married at leat 2 years and had our own house until we had a child, but it didnt work out that way at all, the whole thing about children is you never are 100% really ready, I dont care who you are. And yeah I agree pulling out isnt cool for the guys.... My husband says it kills the feeling..lol
Coleen

Old 06-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #9

wannaloseweight HB User

Well I was just trying to get some advice from people who used it. If we were to become pregnant, we would certainly be able to handle it, and we both know that it is not the best form of birth control. If we were truly worried about the what ifs we would be using the pill or condoms. Of course no one is ever ready for a baby. There are always going to be things that you wish you had or had done.

Closed Thread