It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #1

imfreakinout HB User
Valtrex for Bacterial Vaginosis?????

I went to the STD clinic with my boyfriend to get tested as we were both apart for 7 months etc. etc. and he had some sores on his penis after we had sex.

the doctor told him it definitly was NOT herpes. he still thinks it is. the doctor told me i didnt have herpes but had Bacterial Vaginosis and thats what probably caused his sores from irritation etc.

well I just went to pick up my perscription and its Valtrex, is this normal??? should I trust this doctor?

hes freaking out nervous because she perscribed me valtrex.

why would she do this if she didnt think i had herpes?

Old 08-02-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Re: Valtrex for Bacterial Vaginosis?????

I looked up the prescribing information for Valtrex and it's for the treatment of the herpes virus, nothing else. It's not what you would get for BV. Besides, you have to take Valtrex forever....

Something is quite wrong here. Call up the doctor and demand to know why you were prescribed Valtrex when you were diagnosed with BV.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 03:55 PM   #3

imfreakinout HB User

they only gave me a presciption for 10 pills too.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfreakinout
they only gave me a presciption for 10 pills too.
That's even odder. Valtrex is taken every day to suppress outbreaks of herpes. It's not a cure for anything and it's not a treatment for BV. If the doctor thought you had herpes, prescribing Valtrex for 10 days isn't going to help anything. This looks like a mistake. Are you positive it says Valtrex? Didn't you get information from the pharmacy about your prescription? What does it say?

Old 08-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #5

imfreakinout HB User

says valtrex on the information.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

I would suggest calling the clinic and asking about it - there certainly seems to be a problem. I can think of no reason to prescribe just 10 Valtrex pills, even if the diagnosis was herpes. Maybe he simply wrote down the wrong drug, as this dosage is more in line for an antibiotic (Flagyl) to treat BV. Doctors do make mistakes.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic
I can think of no reason to prescribe just 10 Valtrex pills, even if the diagnosis was herpes.

Actually, it is quite common to just treat the first episode of a herpes outbreak...the common dosage is 1 pill (of the higher dosage, I think 1,000mg) once a day for 10 days. This is what my doctor prescribed me during my first outbreak. Since many people only have the initial outbreak, and don't really get recurring outbreaks, doctors usually wait to see if you are going to have regular outbreaks before they put you on daily valtrex. I do not take valtrex daily, as I do not get recurring outbreaks...maybe 1 very minor outbreak per 1 to 1.5 years, and they never consist of more than 1 or 2 small bumps that don't even really bother me.

I have been prescribed "metrogel" for bacterial vaginosis before.

To the original poster...you should definately call your doctor ASAP about the prescription. I hope it is just a mixup, but if it isn't, we would welcome you on the herpes board here, if you have any questions or just need to talk.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

You are correct about the 5 day treatment - I was thinking of additional pills for future oubreaks. I don't think someone should have to come back and get another script for a secondary outbreak.

Clearly, though, Valtrex is not indicated for a bacterial infection, and the script was clearly for a herpes outbreak. There is a disconnect between the doctor's stated diagnosis and his script.

Closed Thread