It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #1

MHKyGirl HB User
Sex after Colposcopy/Biopsy

How long should I wait to have sex after having a Colposcopy/Biopsy? I went to the Gyno about two weeks ago. I had an abnormal pap, 1st ever. Returned about a week later (this past Tues. 8/3) to have a Colposcopy done & she had to do 1 biopsy. I know the cervix needs time to heal, but how long? I've heard 2 wks, but that seems like a looooooong time! LOL...
I've also got questions about my Biopsy, which I definitely need to ask my Gyno about, BUT -- if anyone can add their input, that would be great -- The biopsy came back saying "Changes of HPV" -- but they've not told me I've tested positive/negative for HPV. I know there are two "types" of HPV, the type that is an STD and the type which is not an STD. So I'm confused - Do I or Don't I have HPV?? I have to go back in Oct. for another pap & repeat the whole "procedure" over if it comes back abnormal. Originally the pap came back CIN II, moderate dysplasia.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #2

MHKyGirl HB User
Re: Sex after Colposcopy/Biopsy

Nobody has any advice? After how long is it safe to have sex after a cervix biopsy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I don't recall how long they actually told me to wait--it was "Wait till we see you again" (Which was 1 month!) and then I had to wait some more soo..I guess just to be safe, wait till 3 or 4 weeks, but if it doesn't hurt you then you may be Ok...

Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHKyGirl
The biopsy came back saying "Changes of HPV" -- but they've not told me I've tested positive/negative for HPV. I know there are two "types" of HPV, the type that is an STD and the type which is not an STD. So I'm confused - Do I or Don't I have HPV?? I have to go back in Oct. for another pap & repeat the whole "procedure" over if it comes back abnormal. Originally the pap came back CIN II, moderate dysplasia.
No, both types of HPV are STDs. One type causes cervical cancer, and one type causes genital warts.

It sounds like you do have HPV. There are specific tests for that, though... do you know if you were tested? Doctors are now routinely combining HPV tests with Pap smears, as a way to increase accuracy.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:10 PM   #5

MHKyGirl HB User

They never specifically said that I was tested for it & never said anything about me having it. And I didn't know to ask until I started researching it a little further. I will have to get in touch with my gyno to confirm... And yes, today after searching the net I did discover that HPV is an STD, there are just different types/strains... Great! Wonder who the wonderful person was that gave this to me...

Old 08-09-2004, 06:00 AM   #6

lannie2006 HB User

I've had 2 cervical biopsies in the past and my GYN never said anything about waiting to have sex. I wasn't with anyone at the time so I never inquired about it.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
(female)

christinao8806 HB User

not all types of hpv are std's per say .. some people can have hpv passed on through their mothers amniotic fluid or it can be caused from having sex at an early age (don't ask me how lol) but that's what my gyno told me. 70-90 percent of women have some type of hpv in their lifetime and most of the time it will go away on it's own if it's not a high grade. doctors do like to follow up on the abnormal findings such as lgsil to make sure there aren't any cancerous changes. I was just diagnosed with lgsil but I am still eligible for the hpv vaccination so i would reccommend talking to ur obgyn and ask if you're still eligible for that. so don't sweat it too much hpv is common an most of the time it will go away on it's own

Closed Thread