It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

RubySlippers HB User
LouiseLaws...Homemade Tampon

LouseLaws,

I've read several of your posts. Many times you recommend homemade tampons as an alternative to tampons that contain rayon.

Could you tell me how to make a homemade tampon? I would be very interested how to do this. I think not only would it save money (maybe...depending on how it's done), but it would also educate many of us on how to avoid tampons made with rayon. I have tampons in my bathroom made by two different manufacturers... both who list rayon and/or cotton as the main absorbant "ingredients".

I've seen numerous posts from you where you say rayon is a no no and you list "homemade" tampons as an alternative. I would love to know how to make my own tampons. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks
Angela

Old 10-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User
Re: LouiseLaws...Homemade Tampon

You're free to make your own tampons or anything else you want, but I want to point out that the information about tampons being harmful is NOT true. Please don't believe everything you read on the internet, even though the person writing it makes it sound believable. There are groups on the outside fringes of medical science who think everything is bad for you and they go around publishing the information so that gullible people believe it. Others have hangups about their vaginas, but nothing stops them from posting things that are false.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

I just wanted to know how to make my own tampons. I totally agree with you Holly. I have never had a problem and I've never made any tampons out to be a problem. Check out my other posts.

It's just that Louise always mentions homemade tampons in her posts. Until I read them I'd never heard of making my own and since seeing Louise's posts, I've always wondered HOW one would make a homemade tampon.

For more that 20 years I've used store brands and have never had a problem. I'm not at all against them, I've just never heard of making your own and really was wondering how you would do that. I saw one of her posts about 2 months ago that listed "alternative" methods for bleeding control during your period. I always wondered how on earth you could make your own tampon.

Thanks for your reply.....(oh...btw, I do wash with soap ) Just curious

Angela

Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySlippers
(oh...btw, I do wash with soap )
GASP! I'm shocked! You seemed so.. so... NORMAL...and now to find THIS out!

hee hee lather up!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #5

Creed04 HB User

yah,ok, so how wud u sew the little string in there?

Old 10-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

Holly, I hope you realise how ignorant and harmful those comments are, tampons ARE a risk to health, it's a medical fact, a scientific fact and common sense – also think about how many times GP’s, books, sites etc. have told women who suffer from reoccurring BV or yeast to stop using tampons.

Tampons are dry hard rods of material being put into a part of the body which should be kept naturally moist, tampons introduce oxygen into the vagina along with fabric in which bacteria can multiply very fast, all the while preventing the vagina from self-cleaning. They can tear the vaginal wall as well as expand which can cause cramps.
Commercial tampons then also contain chemicals and bleach which not only interfere with the natural vaginal PH but which are also easily absorbed by the mucosa, not to mention they can easily cause irritation. Commercial tampons are also made from rayon, it is a fact that tampons increase risks of TSS, particularly if made from rayon. Also let’s not forget about chlorine bleaching which results in dioxin.

Commercial tampons are the most harmful out of all 15 options and have contributed to the deaths and misery of thousands of women due to TSS and infection, also risks of endometriosis, infertility, birth defects, miscarriage and death through dioxin (I know in the UK chlorine bleaching was banned in November ’97, not sure about the US – but given as there are so many menstrual activist groups focused on dioxin one has to assume it is still an issue).
There are groups out there who spread misinformation, however that does not mean that you should ignore all the risks, a simple understanding of vaginal anatomy and functions, as well as a simply study into what goes into making tampons and their history will tell you that they are harmful.

Back to the point in hand, homemade tampons are made from clean, chemical free cotton sheets torn into strips of about an inch and a half in width, length depends totally on your flow – then you just roll them up, you don’t need to sew or put a string in them – although if you do put a sting in it needs to be sewn in, or you can always just use the end of the fabric strip. Then you just either bag it and bin it after use or you wash them to use again.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #7
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseLaws
Holly, I hope you realise how ignorant and harmful those comments are, tampons ARE a risk to health, it's a medical fact, a scientific fact and common sense – also think about how many times GP’s, books, sites etc. have told women who suffer from reoccurring BV or yeast to stop using tampons.

No, sorry, you're the only one posting that information, it's not any sort of medical fact and the medical community isn't telling healthy women not to use tampons. Only you. If you have a vaginal infection, of course the advice is not to put anything in your vagina, but for any healthy woman there is nothing at all harmful about tampons.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran

Saka HB User

I can't see how home made tampons can absorb as much as normal tampons. I'm not against either as I use store bought ones but I've always wondered how much it would absorb. Espeically if you are having a heavy day. I've had days where I've had to change a super tampon in about 4 hours and they are big suckers!

Old 10-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

[QUOTE=Back to the point in hand, homemade tampons are made from clean, chemical free cotton sheets torn into strips of about an inch and a half in width, length depends totally on your flow – then you just roll them up, you don’t need to sew or put a string in them – although if you do put a sting in it needs to be sewn in, or you can always just use the end of the fabric strip. Then you just either bag it and bin it after use or you wash them to use again.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Louise. OK, I get how to "roll 'em up", but if you don't use material that is kind of stiff, how do you get them to go in? I'm thinking of guaze, sheet material, etc, but I can't think of anything that is "stiff" enough to go in easily without some kind of applicator. The only kind of material I can think of that would work is something starched within an inch of its life....and I'm sure that can't be good for vaginal health?????

It seems that the material would bend... no offense but wouldn't it be like trying to have sex before full erection? Is there some absorbant material out there that would work better? And, if there is, would that material be washable so that it can be sterilized for reuse?

Not to sound gross, but I'm really curious. It's pretty obvious how you could make your own pads, but I am totally baffled as to how to make your own tampons

For instance, would I use a cotton type of guaze, as in a bandage for absorbancy, or a cotton type of sheet (which doesn't seem so absorbant)?

Thanks,
Angela

Last edited by RubySlippers; 10-06-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseLaws
Tampons are dry hard rods of material being put into a part of the body which should be kept naturally moist, tampons introduce oxygen into the vagina along with fabric in which bacteria can multiply very fast, all the while preventing the vagina from self-cleaning. They can tear the vaginal wall as well as expand which can cause cramps.
Louise, I hope you can see the irony of what you have posted there. Does that fact that they are 'home made' render these tampons magic, so when inserted into the vagina like commercial tampons, they do NOT absorb any natural moisture or introduce the same oxygen for fast-multiplying bacteria and prevent the vagina from being self cleaning?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #11
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

I still don't get how these homemade things would work. So you roll up a piece of cotton and have what? A big strip of material hanging out of you so you can remove it later? And why wouldn't the menstrual flow just leak around it? If you look at a commercial tampon, it expands in width when it gets wet, so that the blood doesn't flow past it. I don't see how a piece of fabric is going to work like that. Any yeah, what Thisby said How is stuffing a piece of fabric in your vagina ok if your so worried about vaginal health?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Louise,

Is there a special kind of material that works best? What should I ask for if I go to the fabric store?

Since you so often refer to homemade menstrual flow "captureres" for lack of a better term, could you please explain? I would love to know how to make my own tampons but am not sure how they would work, from insertion to absorption.

Please elaborate.

Thank you so much
Angela

Old 10-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran

BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE HB User

this sounds so confusing.. if there is fabric up there and you DONT leave it hanging out to remove it (it would drip out onto my underwear!) then that would be kinda hard to get it out if it moves in further.. yikes! AND.. wouldnt it unroll and move out of place anyway? i could not imagine reusing those.. it sounds gross!! do you just pop them into the washing machine with your clothes or hand wash? i cant imagine getting them clean enough to reuse! sounds too tricky.. and also.. i thought tampons are only dangerous if used for over 8 hours.. that is how you can possibly get the rare TSS. and also tears and dryness are usually used when your flow is not enough for the absorbency you chose.. so if you have a light period and you are using super flow then that is not good!

Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #14

alliemay HB User

i dont think cotton sheets would feel to nice in there!!! i think that would tear at your vagina and dry it out more than anything!!

Old 10-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

First let me say that I use commercial tampons, I always have and probably always will (so much better than pads!).

I don't know enough to evaluate all of these claims about the good or bad of tampons. But I will say that the thing about dioxin is true. Dioxin is an extremely toxic chemical used to bleach the material in tampons (and other paper products) so that it is white. Someone said that dioxin bleaching was banned in the UK, but it is still in widespread use in the US. Dioxin is quite nasty, so using products without it is probably best from a "clean environment" standpoint.

Tampon manufacturers say that their products are rinsed so that no dioxin residue remains, but there is evidence that the chemical is harmful in even minute (and possibly undetectable) levels. Exposure is something that could cause illness years or decades down the road, not something that would start to be a problem tomorrrow. It is certainly not a compound that I am willing to introduce into a mucous membrane for 4-6 hours at a stretch. There are several brands of commercial tampons that are unbleached or that do not use dioxin. They cost a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Closed Thread