It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Is it common for condoms to cause yeast infections?

I am pretty sure it is the lubricant used on the condoms that would cause the yeast infection, if it is in fact the condom at all.

Lately, everytime I have sex I end up with a bad yeast infection a couple of weeks later.
The only reason I can think of is the condom, or just something coincidental with hormones and when my period is expected. I'm not sure which it is... but if it is possible that it is the lubricant causing it I would think that is it.

Does anyone know what it may be?

Old 10-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #2

Tweets HB User
Re: Is it common for condoms to cause yeast infections?

You might be allergic to latex. I had a friend that was Allergic to Latex and couldn't use condoms. If you are with the same man and you know that he is clean and you are planning on being with him for a while. I'd try the pill and then you wouldn't have to rely on condoms. And if that works then it will show you if its the condoms or not! Thats all I could think of! Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #3

bird73 HB User

well it is not common, but yes it can happen.

bird73

Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

There are a couple of things you could be having a reaction to: the lubricant, the spermicide (if it has any) which is a known corrosive and irritant, or the latex (which is the least common).

I've had a reaction to the spermicide/lubricant of a certain brand before, but I should point out that the reaction was swift and painful - within 8 hours - and totally gone within 4 days. My Dr confirmed what it was at the time (basically by ruling everything else out). It was a severe reaction to the change in pH, which returned to normal on its own within a few days.

But if you're getting this weeks later, I would tend to think it's something else, but that's just based on my experience.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hey. Thanks everyone. .. sorry this is so long.

I am on the pill, but still at uni so I don't think I should take any risks... but that was kind of what I was thinking of trying too... for a little while.
I have only been with this guy for 4+ months.. and only just starting to do anything sexual... so, because we have waited this long it is even more frustrating, I think.

I was with a guy a couple of years ago and always used the same brand of condoms without any troubles. This suggests latex isn't the cause.
This year, at the beginning, I had this problem a couple of times. I do know that each time it has happened it has been the brand of condoms we commonly get handed for free at the uni - Glide brand.

Another possible cause could be hormones with my period. The way it usually happens is (I take the pill continuously), I tend to worry about pregnancy.. so, whenever I have sex I then stop taking the pill to have my 'period'. Then, straight after my period I have a yeast infection.
I can always kind of 'feel' one starting before my period starts, but then it gets a lot worse afterwards.
I can feel the beginning of one within a few days of sex... but then my period must delay it.. and then after the period I have a bad infection.

So, pretty much every time I have had sex this year I have used Glide brand condoms and then allowed a period straight after and then ended up with a yeast infection.

One way to find out is to do what was suggested and try without condoms for a while... but are there any other ways to find out for sure?

.. also, the condoms do not have a spermicide on them..

Thanks again.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 10-11-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

lovethemusic HB User

I have had the same exact problem and i completely understand what you are going through!
i get yeast infections if i use spermicidal condoms. spermicide is known to cause yeast infections in women, so i would stray away from those.
i am also on the pill, and when i started taking it i too realized that i would start developing yeast infections the week before i got my period. after a lot of research, i found out that the week before and the week after your period are times when things can be really out of whack in your reproductive system..meaning that the PH balance is easily disrupted. so it makes sense that youve been getting the infections a week after your period.
after even more research i found out that yeast infections are a result of a battle of good bacteria in your system, and yeast wins. everyone has yeast in the body, but too much is bad. I found a dietary supplement called "Acidophilus" and i take 2 capsules everyday (you can buy it anywhere they sell herbs and dietary stuff). It keeps the good bacteria in order through your digestive system, preventing yeast infections. I have been taking this stuff since April and have not had an infection since. before that, i was getting them once a month. the acidophilus is cheap, about $5 a bottle that lasts a month, so its well worth it. i hope i was able to help.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hi.
Thanks.
I have treated (hopefully) this infection with the pessaries and I think I will now start taking some acidophilus for a week or so. I have some left over that I don't like to take unless I need it as it costs Aus20$ (US$15), which is a lot for me. I am a student.
I have looked around a bit and it is the cheapest I can find... and it only lasts 2 weeks if you take two per day, as directed.

I have to take the pill continuously, and I don't get the infections very regularly like I used to.. but I haven't had sex very regularly this year either.

Spermicide is not my problem, but still could be the lubricant used, I suppose.

The acidophilus is fast-acting, isn't it? Would you need to take it for a certain length of time before you built up levels of good bacteria? Why I ask is, I wonder whether taking the acidophilus just the week before a period and the week after would prevent them occurring? That would work out cheaper and easier than having to buy a 6-day treatment for an infection.

I just hope this infection is gone.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Closed Thread