It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #1

baben HB User
When is your safe zone to have sex?

I was wondering, when is your "safe zone" to have sex? Is it 11 days after your period? or 11 days counting from the first day of your period? I also heard something about a 7 day period....Can somebody please clarify on the subject?
My menstrual cycle is irregular. I usually miss months and not have my period and I dont know what months they are, and if I do have my period usually it takes about 1-2 months. One time I had my period and it lasted for 3 1/2 months and I was hospitalized for not having enough blood (anemic) and had to have a blood transfusion.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: When is your safe zone to have sex?

The 'safe' zone for not getting pregnant would be any time you are NOT ovulating, nor the days leading up to it, since sperm lives a number of days (different sources give different lengths of viability for sperm). Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days BEFORE your next period (the luteal phase is very consistant), not necessarily 14 days after the start of your pervious period. So unless you have been keeping very accurate track of your cycle, and are very regular, it is difficult to know exactly when that is. Since you say you are very irregular, it would be near impossible to guess when 14 days before your next period is...and then avoid having sex before and during that time...

Your suggestion of 11 days after your period is actually a very risky time to have sex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #3

baben HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
The 'safe' zone for not getting pregnant would be any time you are NOT ovulating, nor the days leading up to it, since sperm lives a number of days (different sources give different lengths of viability for sperm). Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days BEFORE your next period (the luteal phase is very consistant), not necessarily 14 days after the start of your pervious period. So unless you have been keeping very accurate track of your cycle, and are very regular, it is difficult to know exactly when that is. Since you say you are very irregular, it would be near impossible to guess when 14 days before your next period is...and then avoid having sex before and during that time...

Your suggestion of 11 days after your period is actually a very risky time to have sex.
What I meant by 11 days was right after your period (day after=day 1) you count up to 11 days. Those 11 days are like the best time to have sex?
Example: My period finished Monday (October 1), so I start counting on (October 2) Tuesday (day 1), Wed (d2), thur (d3),........(October 12) Friday (day 11). Within this time frame is it good to do the deed and not worry about pregnancy?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

No, as I said, that is the worst time. For someone with a perfect 28-day cycle and a 5-day period, those 11 days will carry them right to and include ovulation day - THEE day to get pregnant. Those are the exact opposite of when you should be having sex, if you do NOT want to get pregnant.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:59 AM   #5

IGal HB User

so you mean if i finished with my period that day or the day before and i have sex, that is the most risky time of all? i don't understand... if ovulation takes place around the mid part of the cycle, why would it be risky to do it BEFORE ovulating? i hope i don't sound too ignorant but that's what i thought, that the less risky time was the first half of the month when you're not ovulating yet

Old 10-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

Actually the least risky time is when you know ovulation has PASSED for that month. Since you have an irregular cycle and don't even know when to expect a period you CANNOT consider any days your safe days. Forget this method, it's not for women like you, use protection every single time you have sex. Ooops, didn't really answer your question, the reason you aren't safe before you ovulate is because sperm can live inside you, so even if you have sex when your not ovulating, the sperm can still be alive when you DO ovulate. What if you have a very short cycle that month and ovulate earlier than expected and the sperm is already there? That's why if you wait until AFTER you ovulate to have unprotected sex, it's not risky. But you in particular can't do this since you are irregular. Women with perfect cycles who know when they ovulate, can use this method.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

Oh, and what Thisby said, you ovulate two weeks before your next period, but you don't know when to expect your next period, so how are you going to count days to know when to expect ovulation?

Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #8

SaraE10 HB User

Um, please take my advice on something. DO NOT assume that any days are "safe". If you are having unprotected sex and simply using this method as birth control, you are seriously running the risk of regretting it!!! I hope you are using another method of birth control. NO DAYS ARE SAFE! Sperm can live in your body for up to 3 days, and you never know when you will ovulate no matter how regular your period is. Don't rely on this method. Take it from me, honestly. Be careful.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

cutie777 HB User

Is it ok to use a condom and that is all? These counting days are confusing to me because I am also not regular. Also, I have been told different things - one person told me you can get pregnant at an time during your cycle, and another person told me you can only get pregnant on ONE day of your cycle.

Which is it??

Cutie

Old 10-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #10

IGal HB User
so what if you had sex on that risky time, you used some form of protection but now you're not sure it was enough?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 10-14-2004 at 09:11 PM. Reason: off topic portion removed. Please start a new thread for new questions.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #11
(female)

HollyGoLightly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie777
Is it ok to use a condom and that is all? These counting days are confusing to me because I am also not regular. Also, I have been told different things - one person told me you can get pregnant at an time during your cycle, and another person told me you can only get pregnant on ONE day of your cycle.

Which is it??

Cutie
The egg is only alive for one day after it has been released and that is the only time you can get pregnant. The problem is sperm can live inside you 3-5 days, so if it is already there when you release the egg, you can get pregnant. People with irregular periods should not be counting anything, I hope you get that idea out of your head

Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #12

IGal HB User
[ Please allow the original poster to have her questions answered in this thread. Start a new thread to ask your questions.
Thanks, - Mod-S4 ]

Last edited by Mod-S4; 10-14-2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Keeping posts on topic.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #13
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyGoLightly
The egg is only alive for one day after it has been released and that is the only time you can get pregnant. The problem is sperm can live inside you 3-5 days, so if it is already there when you release the egg, you can get pregnant. People with irregular periods should not be counting anything, I hope you get that idea out of your head
As I understand it, the egg may also live a little longer than a day as well, and you can still get pregnant after you think the egg has decended, when it hasn't quite yet, yes? But I agree, with a cycle as irregular as the original poster's, this method, or "natural family planning" as it's sometimes called, is HIGHLY unreliable. During the "risky" days, most people use two forms of birth control, like a condom and a diaphram or sponge, but I don't think the sponge is around anymore.

Closed Thread