It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #1

Sanskrit HB User
Faint brown discharge with stringy bits

I had not had sex since August, and I had a normal period on time in September. My period is due in a couple of days, and I had sex a few days ago, unprotected but my boyfriend did not ejaculate inside me. He never has. We did not have sex between August and a few days ago (long distance relationship). The day after I had sex with him, I thought my period was starting, and I expected it, but it was only a little very light brown stain on the paper when I wiped. That was yesterday. Today I noticed small bits of brownish stringy stuff. It looks a little like the dark clotty bits that are normally in my period, only smaller and sort of shriveled.

I very seriously doubt that I am pregnant, as my boyfriend and I are very careful when we have intercourse, but I have never had a discharge like this before. I feel very much like I normally do before a period, and I have no breast tenderness. Is this possibly a shedding of old blood left from my last period brought on by intercourse? There is no pain, no smell, and no burning or itching, and I feel fine. I have, however, been stressed out lately because of my college midterms. Anyone have an opinion? I intend to wait a few days to make sure I get my period but I would like to rule out pregnancy completely even though I know it is highly unlikely.

Thank you for your comments!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

db2kp HB User
Re: Faint brown discharge with stringy bits

Did you ever get checked for this problem that you described?

I don't want to alarm you, but that happened to me into the second month of my pregnancy. There were no symptoms for me, just thought that my period was late, no sensitive breasts, nothing. Just tired, and irritable around cigarette smoke, and I couldn't drink much alcohol, (only about 2 and 1/2 beers).
Check it out, just in case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #3

Sanskrit HB User

The discharge has only started about two days ago. I don't usually drink and I don't smoke, and I have not noticed a change in my sensitivity to anything. The discharge happened the day after sex with my boyfriend, and I've read on medical message boards like this one that it can occur from damage to the cervix from intercourse. I have not yet tested but will do so tomorrow morning. I seriously hope I am not pregnant, as I am in the middle of college getting two degrees, and I don't want to give that up yet.

Thank you for your post, I'll check it out.

Anyone else?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

loralei HB User

I get that sometimes. But it should always be accompanied by a normal period either before or after.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #5

Sanskrit HB User

Okay, it's now Friday and I've been having this discharge since Tuesday. It's now dark brown with larger clots that definitely look like old blood. Is this what people have experienced? I took a pregnancy test today and it was Negative, and like I said, I had a full blown period in September. I feel bloated and slightly crampy like a regular period. I also have a history of not getting my period in the past for a few months, for which my obgyn put me on BC pills. I have gone off the pills, and have been off for a year. Could this be my amenorhea recurring? Or have other people experienced symptoms like mine before their period?

Old 11-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

I've asked my doctor about this...I've had the same problem on several occasions while taking birth control pills. It is just "older" blood and tissue and nothing to worry about.

I've been on Depo-Provera for the last three years and have not had a period at all since my third shot (it's been oh so wonderful ).

Closed Thread