It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

kewlgirl HB User
Horrible Odor After Sex

My boyfriend and I have been active for awhile now, and I've noticed that after we have sex, I have this horrible odor that comes from my vaginal area for about 48 hours after sex. It disappears in about 48 hours after sex and it's like nothing was ever wrong. I end up having to beef up on my personal hygiene (2-3 showers a day and feminine body spray) to try to control it.

No itch or pain or infections to speak of. Just bad odor after sex for about two days following that disappears completely.

Any ideas what it could be or how to get rid of it?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rms11 HB User
Re: Horrible Odor After Sex

Could be an infection because of the smell, sometimes itching and other syptoms don't all show up. Also, some women just have a natural odor that they get during and after sex. I would go to the doctor to rule out any infections. If there is no infection or nothing wrong...then maybe that is your body's natural scent and its totally normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Does he wear a condom? If not, it's not uncommon for the semen can have an unpleasant odor until it's gone from the vagina, that stuff doesn't smell very nice once it gets old.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

No he doesn't wear a condom, I am on BC and we're eventually getting married and we've both been tested and both "clean".

Thanks for the tips!

Old 11-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

Colleen04 HB User

It's sounds like bacterial vaginosis. It's an infection. Completely harmless. But one of the main symptoms for BV is a really bad fishy smelling odor. I would go to your doctor to check to see if you have it.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I agree that it should be his semen.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

I also get that after sex smell, it usually not an infection if it happens everytime after sex, it happens to alot of women, I heard that its because the semen has a high ph and it messes up our ph there are these vaginal gels that are called rephresh and are supposed to be specifically for this problem, it lowers your vaginal ph, anyway I ordered some they do seem to help as ai have heard about it and read alot of good opinions online, your suppsed to use them 2x a week and each application gets riid of the smell for 3 days

Old 01-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Snails HB UserSnails HB User

I would stay away from vaginal sprays and other products that are supposed to make you smell fresh. These can cause similar problems as douches in that they upset the normal balance of bacteria in that area and can lead to irritation and various infections. I think that the smell comes from the combination of semen and vaginal fluid--I've noticed this too after sex without condoms. You can minimize it by washing yourself very thoroughly or even using a mild soap on your labia (I know you're not supposed to use soap around your vagina, but it's a lot better than those products that promise to eliminate vaginal odor). If the smell still persists after a few thorough washings, then you might indeed have an infection like bacterial vaginosis and should see a doctor. But if this happens only after sex, has been happening regularly for some time, and you have no other irritation or discomfort, it's probably just from the semen and can be reduced by careful and frequent cleansing.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
HI snailks, unfortunately for me even after washing 6 times a day teh odor stays!!!!

I have always had a problem with the ph in my vagina, anyway according to what others have told me the rephresh geel fixes teh ph and has no fragarance, so its supposed to actually elimiante the odor and not cover it up, I will start using it as soon as it arrives, since the fishy odor is only after sex, and lastes for a few days but if you have sex 3x a week you have fish odor all weeeeek llong! so hopefully this will help

and by the way dont get any soap around that area, when i wash alot and apply soap it causes an infection right away and also stings a little when it goes inside my vagina, so its best not usuing soap on that area, or using a low ph soap

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-29-2005 at 02:30 PM. Reason: people can think to do their own searches.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

fitchick HB User

In my experience it is the semen. relax. I just soak in a bath and it helps the most.

Closed Thread