It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

Januarygirl83 HB User
Cymbalta and lack of orgasm?

Hi! I recently began taking the anti-depressant "Cymbalta" about three weeks ago. This is a new medication which is not supposed to have any sexual side effects. However, I noticed that since I began taking the medication, I have been unable to have an orgasm. My boyfriend does everything he has in the past when I have been able to orgasm. Is this because of the med or just a coincedence? Any input would be great, thanks! -Erica

Old 07-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
Re: Cymbalta and lack of orgasm?

January Girl, I would bet you anything that the Cymbalta is your problem. I started on Lexapro back in March and my GYN promised me that it wouldn't do that to me - but WRONG, it sure did, and most other people that I have talked to here too. SSRI's are notorious for causing sexual dysfunction. I have been taking Gingko Biloba for a couple of months now (it's an herb) and it really has helped with that. Plus I bought some Vigel and that works great too. I was really frustrated because I hated for that to happen!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

not_myself HB User

hi there

I have been on many different SSRI's and just about every single one has done this to me, some much worse than others. It's very important to talk to your doctor about it and see what you guys can come up with. For myself, it seems as though when I first start taking them I'm not able to orgasm but after a few weeks on them I'm able to orgasm again. Not as easily as if I wasn't on any pills mind you, but it's something at least

I also might suggest investing in a vibrator of sorts. It really helps me to achieve orgasm much easier than manual stimulation alone.

A.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

Januarygirl83 HB User

Thank you for your replies! I will talk to my doctor about this...although I'd rather not get depressed and not orgasm than orgasm and get depressed...but not getting depressed and having an orgasm would be much better! =) At least I still get much pleasure from sexual activities, but still...hopefully the side effect will subside soon. Any other thoughts?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
(female)

julie39180 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januarygirl83
Hi! I recently began taking the anti-depressant "Cymbalta" about three weeks ago. This is a new medication which is not supposed to have any sexual side effects. However, I noticed that since I began taking the medication, I have been unable to have an orgasm. My boyfriend does everything he has in the past when I have been able to orgasm. Is this because of the med or just a coincedence? Any input would be great, thanks! -Erica
hello,
i have been on cymbalta for over 6 months and at first i had the same problem but my dr. put me on wellbutrin for the sexual side effects and it started working after a few days... i took the wellbutrin for about a month and then got off of it and i have not had anymoe problems...

Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

Januarygirl83 HB User

Thank you. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist the end of July so I will let him know and see what can be done.

Closed Thread