It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Angelica17 HB User
Is sex bad/good for you?

Hi,

Ever since I have been sexually active I have heard different opinions on the benefits/side effects of sex and was hoping that somone can finally put them to rest. Does sex actually have bad side effects on your body? (Like for instance higher chance to get acne or gain weight) Or is this all just one big myth? Furthermore, is sex beneficial? Or does it depend on the person?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Re: Is sex bad/good for you?

I don't think that simply having sex will cause any body changes all by itself. Now, having sex and getting pregant, well, that can casuse some major changes. Having sex and being very active at it can help increase muscle tone but, again, that is due to the exercise you get. Sex can be unhealthy if you catch an STD but, once more, that is not a direct effect.

How having sex affects you depends on the other things that sex brings, but simply having a penis in your vagina will not cause you to gain/lose weight, get acne, etc.

I do think that sex can be beneficial in a loving relationship as it can bring the partners closer together. But having sex for the sake of having sex can be mentally damaging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Aside from the obvious possible physical consequences of sex, i.e. STDs from unprotected sex and pregnancy, the effects of sex are mainly emotional. Sex does not cause weight gain, big hips, acne, or anything else - I have no idea where those myths could come from.

I disagree that having sex for sex's sake is bad for you. If your motives are clear and you're having sex because you want to, then by all means it's healthy. However, having sex because it's expected of you and/or when you really don't want to, is a sure way to make yourself miserable and breed resentment. Having sex as a means of validating yourself and your attractiveness may be a negative as well, if you feel that's the only way you can prove your appeal and worth as a person. There are many other possible emotional negatives as well.

But honestly, I think sex is mostly incredibly beneficial. You can do a lot of growing through having sex, whether casual or in a deeply involved and committed relationship. It's a way to experience pleasure, relax, ease stress, feel close to your partner, etc. It's fun and it feels good. It's healthy, normal, and an integral part of being human.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkleflower
Aside from the obvious possible physical consequences of sex, i.e. STDs from unprotected sex and pregnancy, the effects of sex are mainly emotional. Sex does not cause weight gain, big hips, acne, or anything else - I have no idea where those myths could come from.

I disagree that having sex for sex's sake is bad for you. If your motives are clear and you're having sex because you want to, then by all means it's healthy. However, having sex because it's expected of you and/or when you really don't want to, is a sure way to make yourself miserable and breed resentment. Having sex as a means of validating yourself and your attractiveness may be a negative as well, if you feel that's the only way you can prove your appeal and worth as a person. There are many other possible emotional negatives as well.

But honestly, I think sex is mostly incredibly beneficial. You can do a lot of growing through having sex, whether casual or in a deeply involved and committed relationship. It's a way to experience pleasure, relax, ease stress, feel close to your partner, etc. It's fun and it feels good. It's healthy, normal, and an integral part of being human.
I totally agree Sparkleflower. I had another thread on the relationship board that was quite controversial. I have been pondering the idea of continuing a casual sexual relationship with a man I have very good sex with. So far, I have not gotten emotionally attached and think I could continue to see him just for the sex.

Even though sex is better with the emotional attachment, I believe a casual sexual relationship can also be beneficial if both parties are in agreement about the terms.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Yes it can be good for you. It releases tension, muscle cramps, burns calories, & it is an excellent pain reducer for a few minutes.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

neflin HB User

I think it is very good for both partners. Great for tensions and loving relationship. Just can not think of one bad thing about it. But this depends on the person.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #7

Daphnee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinL
Yes it can be good for you. It releases tension, muscle cramps, burns calories, & it is an excellent pain reducer for a few minutes.
Ohhh so thats why I am not losing much . I guess its time for me and hubby to rock the house tonight . I think sex is healthy, it helps keep your moods from getting too low, it keeps a woman's reproductive system working properly, and its just plain old fun . So, to answer the question, yes it is very good for you.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

talisman HB User

Sex is good exercise for the back. There is also a school of thought that regular ejaculation is good for the prostate gland.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hiya HB User

pros according to experts and other stuff I've read:
It's good exercise, and good for your heart
men who have sex 3 times a week have a much lower risk of prostate cancer and other prostate problems than men who have more infrequent sex.
It releases tension, stress, and bonds two people in love even closer. A resent study published in Lady's Home Journal reported that a Dartmouth study showed that a strong, solid marriage is the equivalent to suddenly being given an EXTRA $100,000 a year as measured on the happy/elevated quality of life scale. And good sex is part of a good marriage.

Cons:
unwanted pregnancy
social diseases, most worrisome is herpes, which can be passed on at any time, even between outbreaks, is incurable, and can be very uncomfortable, and can cause you to have to have a cesaerian birth, and HPV, which cannot be tested for in men, and men rarely show symptoms in most types, but it causes cervical cancer in women.
Most of the other cons I would have to say have to do with your emotional make up and how you deal with sex and love and broken hearts.

Closed Thread