It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

darkwater HB User
Bleeding after sex-what the...?

I thought I would run this by you all on the off chance I would get any bites on a problem I have been having on and off for several years now, but now has me worried as it has increased in frequency lately. Simply put, I bleed after sex. Not every single time, but many times. Not a lot, sometimes only a few spots, other times a small trickle. It may last a few hours or up to a couple of days. Sometimes it is like a blood-tinged discharge, other times, a darker, more concentrated red. If any of you have had anything like this, please relate to me your experience.

I have been using a diaphragm for birth control and this has given me some insight to the source of the blood. I thought maybe I was scratching my vagina or cerevix in some way and drawing blood when I inserted the diaphragm (sometimes it slides in perfectly; other times I try multiple times). But this theory has been pretty much shot. I have found that as long as the diaphragm is in place, there is no bleeding. This is the case every single time I use the diaphragm, which means that the blood source is not vaginal (diaphragms fit up over the cerevix, the opening to the uterus). But, upon removal of the diaphragm, I find there is blood in the cup of the diaphragm, which isolates the source of the bleeding to either the cerevix or the uterus itself. So maybe I am scratching my cerevix with the diaphragm? Don't think so, because even when don't use it, I still bleed. But something in there is being traumatized by sex, and it ain't the vagina proper. If I were on some sort of hormonal birth control, I could attribute this to the spotting between periods that I know that can cause, but I'm not.

Do I even need to express the terror that comes upon me when I think that this abnormal bleeding could be coming from my uterus? (Late in life, my mother suddenly started bleeding heavily, turned out she had uterine cancer.) On the other hand, I bleed ONLY AFTER SEX, which certainly gives one a good shake-up (or perhaps "stirring-up" would be a better term? LOL ) If I don't have sex, I don't have this bleeding. So, why does it only happen then? If one had some uterine disorder that caused bleeding, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would bleed any old time it wanted to and not just after sex?

I have told my doctors about this, but up until now, none of them has felt that what I described to them indicated anything to worry about. But now that this seems a pretty frequent occurence, I think I am about to overrule them and insist on further exploration of this. I don't believe that my sexual practices would cause this. I cannot imagine that what I do in bed is gymnastic or rough enough to actually draw blood. I do have lupus, so maybe it or the medication (steriods) has changed my membranes so that they are fragile enough to bleed with little trauma.

I am getting married April 15th, and this is throwing a wrench in my sex life! Sometimes I think men believe that we women make the sexual act too complicated just for spite. Well, that would be because IT IS MORE COMPLICATED FOR US! And you cannot be my partner in life if you do not get that! I have noticed that I hesitate a bit if I start to think "oh, I am going to bleed after this". If feel like I am going to have to smack my fiance to attention to make him "get" why this is a source of anxiety for me. And why when I have one of these episodes, I prefer to give myself at least a couple of days to "heal up" and let the source of the seepage heal before I attempt another sexual act that is likely going to prolong the bleeding. I have told him multiple times what is happening with me, but there seems to be some disconnect, since he continues to initiate sex even if I have just gotten the words out of my mouth. In the mind, blood means "injury" and "harm", and the afterglow evaporates rapidly when you are almost sure that when you go to the bathroom, there will be blood, even though you know he hasn't harmed you or caused you pain.

I know any number of gynecological problems could be happening here, and it may have nothing to do with lupus. But I do know that the time frame for the onset of this closely corresponds to the time when I first began having the symptoms that turned out to be lupus. Since getting this extremely weird and strange disease and discovering how it can and does have a wide effect over all organ systems all over the body, I don't put anything past it. I have been thinking.... lupus causes lesions and sores in the mucus membranes of the nose and mouth, so would it not follow that it could also cause lesions in the mucous membrane of the vagina/cerivix, that when "battered" during sex, bleed? When I had my yearly pap test in December, my doctor looked at my cerevix and said it looked healthy and fine, that it didn't bleed when the tissue sample was taken for the pap. The pap came back normal (though many years ago, I did have a pap with some abnormal cells on it, but that resolved itself long ago).

Hopefully, my doctors and I will be able to find the source of this soon. I am sorry to have rattled on so long, but I guess I have been wanting to talk about this more than I thought, but have not wanted to give breath to this on top of all the other lupus stuff. If you don't speak it, it's not real, right? Yeah, RIGHT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

MissHelen HB User
Re: Bleeding after sex-what the...?

Don't let your fiance make you feel guilty or crazy about what concerns you. Take him with you too the gyn. If he can't be supportive, why would you marry him. Have your doc do all the tests for all the female things to see if you can find out what's causing this. You need peace in your mind.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Wow, I have to agree. I don't mean to bad-mouth your fiance, but it does cause one to wonder when he seems to be more concerned about his sexual gratification than your well-being. Personally, I'm even surprised he can maintain an erection as many men will simply lose it at the first sign of discomfort in their partner. This would be called sensitivity/caring/worrying/concern....any or all of the above. Your fiance's attitude seems to me to be a very selfish one - keep in mind if he is this unconcerned about your health, he will in all likelihood be this way in everything.

As for the bleeding, you need to be checked and very soon, as this is a red flag for cancer. I am astonished that your doctor would not pursue this given your mom's history. ANY bleeding after sex should be investigated right away, no matter what your age. And no, you would not have bleeding all the time..... Uterine cancer would cause staining or bleeding at any time, but cervical cancer would cause it only after sex when the cervix has been traumatized. And please don't let a 'normal' pap test keep you from exploring it further; it is NOT normal to bleed after sex, especially as much as you seem to, and you need to find out why. If your doctor is unconcened, find a new one. There are too many cases of pap tests coming back normal when they are not because the lab either missed abnormal cells or they were reading more slides a day than is legally allowed (the more slides they look at, the more they get paid). It could be nothing but you need to know that. As for your fiance, cut him off until you find out what is wrong and tell him why. And if that causes a problem, you may want to think hard about marriage.

Please let us know what happens, I will be thinking about you.

Last edited by kellie2; 02-23-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #4

ollela HB User

I would also bleed after sex. In my case, it was only cervical erosion. Your case is probably different. You need to get it checked as soon as possible.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

cerys eastwood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanegra
I thought I would run this by you all on the off chance I would get any bites on a problem I have been having on and off for several years now, but now has me worried as it has increased in frequency lately. Simply put, I bleed after sex. Not every single time, but many times. Not a lot, sometimes only a few spots, other times a small trickle. It may last a few hours or up to a couple of days. Sometimes it is like a blood-tinged discharge, other times, a darker, more concentrated red. If any of you have had anything like this, please relate to me your experience.

I have been using a diaphragm for birth control and this has given me some insight to the source of the blood. I thought maybe I was scratching my vagina or cerevix in some way and drawing blood when I inserted the diaphragm (sometimes it slides in perfectly; other times I try multiple times). But this theory has been pretty much shot. I have found that as long as the diaphragm is in place, there is no bleeding. This is the case every single time I use the diaphragm, which means that the blood source is not vaginal (diaphragms fit up over the cerevix, the opening to the uterus). But, upon removal of the diaphragm, I find there is blood in the cup of the diaphragm, which isolates the source of the bleeding to either the cerevix or the uterus itself. So maybe I am scratching my cerevix with the diaphragm? Don't think so, because even when don't use it, I still bleed. But something in there is being traumatized by sex, and it ain't the vagina proper. If I were on some sort of hormonal birth control, I could attribute this to the spotting between periods that I know that can cause, but I'm not.

Do I even need to express the terror that comes upon me when I think that this abnormal bleeding could be coming from my uterus? (Late in life, my mother suddenly started bleeding heavily, turned out she had uterine cancer.) On the other hand, I bleed ONLY AFTER SEX, which certainly gives one a good shake-up (or perhaps "stirring-up" would be a better term? LOL ) If I don't have sex, I don't have this bleeding. So, why does it only happen then? If one had some uterine disorder that caused bleeding, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would bleed any old time it wanted to and not just after sex?

I have told my doctors about this, but up until now, none of them has felt that what I described to them indicated anything to worry about. But now that this seems a pretty frequent occurence, I think I am about to overrule them and insist on further exploration of this. I don't believe that my sexual practices would cause this. I cannot imagine that what I do in bed is gymnastic or rough enough to actually draw blood. I do have lupus, so maybe it or the medication (steriods) has changed my membranes so that they are fragile enough to bleed with little trauma.

I am getting married April 15th, and this is throwing a wrench in my sex life! Sometimes I think men believe that we women make the sexual act too complicated just for spite. Well, that would be because IT IS MORE COMPLICATED FOR US! And you cannot be my partner in life if you do not get that! I have noticed that I hesitate a bit if I start to think "oh, I am going to bleed after this". If feel like I am going to have to smack my fiance to attention to make him "get" why this is a source of anxiety for me. And why when I have one of these episodes, I prefer to give myself at least a couple of days to "heal up" and let the source of the seepage heal before I attempt another sexual act that is likely going to prolong the bleeding. I have told him multiple times what is happening with me, but there seems to be some disconnect, since he continues to initiate sex even if I have just gotten the words out of my mouth. In the mind, blood means "injury" and "harm", and the afterglow evaporates rapidly when you are almost sure that when you go to the bathroom, there will be blood, even though you know he hasn't harmed you or caused you pain.

I know any number of gynecological problems could be happening here, and it may have nothing to do with lupus. But I do know that the time frame for the onset of this closely corresponds to the time when I first began having the symptoms that turned out to be lupus. Since getting this extremely weird and strange disease and discovering how it can and does have a wide effect over all organ systems all over the body, I don't put anything past it. I have been thinking.... lupus causes lesions and sores in the mucus membranes of the nose and mouth, so would it not follow that it could also cause lesions in the mucous membrane of the vagina/cerivix, that when "battered" during sex, bleed? When I had my yearly pap test in December, my doctor looked at my cerevix and said it looked healthy and fine, that it didn't bleed when the tissue sample was taken for the pap. The pap came back normal (though many years ago, I did have a pap with some abnormal cells on it, but that resolved itself long ago).

Hopefully, my doctors and I will be able to find the source of this soon. I am sorry to have rattled on so long, but I guess I have been wanting to talk about this more than I thought, but have not wanted to give breath to this on top of all the other lupus stuff. If you don't speak it, it's not real, right? Yeah, RIGHT!
hi.

i would just want to ask you are you in a relationship now with a new partner, or had a couple of frequant sexual partners recently? Because if you have, then i'll give the advice in, getting yourself checked out for any STD's, because last summer i was with a partner for over a year, it was only last summer we split, but sortly after the split i went out with a couple of friends, and we was all drunk, and i met a guy in there, and there was flirting going on, and he asked me to come back to his, which isn't like me, so i did, and we had sex, and i left his in a taxi, we kept in touch but not very long. After a few weeks i started to bleed after a year i had the implant in, which i fought was really strange. so i left it, and i kept bleeding before, during and after sex, in October last year i decided to have the implant out because i fought it might of been the implant causing me to bleed every day for six months, so the nurse asked me '' would i liked to be checked for any problems which the implant might of caused?'' so i said yes why not. At this time on the day i had a test done for a number of things, i met my new partner which i'm with now, after a week of having the test done and being with my partner for a week as well, i recieved a phone call from the nurse, and it wasn't good news. she told me i have trush which is caused from tight jeans, and using tampons. but that wasn't so bad, but the other news she told me i burst into teares, i found out that i had an STD ( Chlamidia ). and the worst thing i had to do is, to tell my new partner at the time which i'm still with now, is that he needed to get checked out which he did and we found out that he too had the STD, but they couldn't tell me how long i had it for. but i think i had it for at least six months because thats how long i was bleeding for, and the main symptoms for chlamidia is bleeding before, during and after sex. it can stop you from having children which i have had about four pregnantcy test with my partner and every one has come back negative, and they carn't tell me if the STD has stopped my changes of having my own children until i try for over a year. i'm now on the injection and i'v not really had any problems.

so my advice to you is get yourself checked out, even if you havn't got any STD's at least you no thats one big problem out of the way and you can them start looking some where else what could be causing you to bleed.

Good luck

from cerys from Manchester in England

Closed Thread