It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

Therese5 HB User
Sex after cystocele and rectocele repair

I had cystocele and rectocele repair in June. Can anyone out there who has had the same surgeries comment on sex after having these repairs, I have been told by the doctor that sex will be painful. Any reply would be helpful

Signed, worried

Last edited by Therese5; 07-27-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

junkiebook HB User
Re: Sex after cystocele and rectocele repair

I also had a rectocele repair on June 14, 06 and have been wondering about the same thing. My follow up visits with the doctor gave me hope and confidence that things would be okay. However after a couple of attempts to have relations again I think we will need to try and get back into shape another way. I would like to chat with you maybe we could help each other regain our old selves. If nothing worse we could at least be cheerleaders for each other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

Therese5 HB User

I finally got a reply!!! I have been waiting to hear from someone. Thank you!!!!
I can't even try to have relations until 12 weeks. I have 4 weeks before we can try. Besides the fact that my vaginal openning is much smaller from the rectocel I have a urethracel that is left from the surgery. The doctor said the reason I never felt the uretracel is it was under my bladder and rectum. It is really bothering me now and she said she can't repair it until next summer. She thinks it my shrink as the swelling from my other organs goes down, I am not blaming the doctor. I think she is very good, but I think she could have clued me in that it would be there. I hate that my body has changed. She said in a matter of fact way that sex would hurt and I need to use lots of lubricant. We will see around Sept. 8th Right now I still have a bulge that is sore and itchy,

I heard from someone else that posted on this subject that you should take it slow and sex will be better in the end. The doctor did say to me that the stitches will be there for a year and that my husband will feel them.

I will hope to hear from you. Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Just curious - how painful was the rectocele repair for you? I had gallbladder and rectocele repair done - and I couldn't sit for almost 3 weeks - I'd rather have another baby without epidural.

Anyway - the first time or two use lubricant and have him go slow. It was 5-05 when I had mine done and things are fine in that department now.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

junkiebook HB User

For me it was like getting kicked in the crotch by a mule, and I was very black and blue for a few days. I sat on a rubber ring for about three weeks and if I didnít have it I sat very slowly. As far as having another baby without epidural, no thanks on that one. When I had my first baby the doctor took his time to do the epidural and I tore, I was just as sore.

The first two times my husband and I tried I felt as though there wasnít any place for him to go, because everything felt closed up.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

junkiebook HB User

Emma,

I donít know what happened to the last posting I did to you, but it isnít there, so I will try again. I donít know if this will help or if you like or can eat pineapple, but pineapple is a natural food item that will help with swelling. If it doesnít help it canít hurt you.

I only had the rectocele repair done, that might be why my doctor said I could get back to doing whatever I wanted. He never mentioned using lubrication, I did expect it to be uncomfortable, but I never expected the feeling that I got. After two tries one on Saturday and one on Sunday I never thought we would be having sexual relations again. However my mind flipped over to how I recovered from having a bone spur removed from behind my Achilles tendon. The recovery took about a year and I ended up doing a bit of therapy a friend told me to get a pair of swim fins and add those to my swimming. I started to think maybe I would need a little extra help getting my vagina back into shape. I went to an adult store and bought a fairly small *****, it would be something I could control myself. On those two occasions with my husband he would be upset thinking he had hurt me and lose his erection. I needed to find out what was wrong and fix it. I have tried a couple of times on my own the first time was very painful, but I was finally able to get it into my vagina. The last time things were beginning to feel more normal.

The good thing about this site is being able to chat with others who have either had the same thing or will be. Doctors are wonderful, but to be able to chat with someone who has first hand info is very good. Take care, and keep chatting.

The following user gives a hug of support to junkiebook:
djray563 (06-21-2011)
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I was told to wait 4 to 6 weeks - or until all the stitches dissolved. I'd still use lubrication for right now if I were you....

I'm glad (but not really ya know) to know it wasn't just me that found the rectocele repair so painful. I know mine was a large one...

Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
(female)

Therese5 HB User
Cool Re: Sex after cystocele and rectocele repair

junkiebook,

I read your posting the other day,but didn't respond because I was beat. I just went back to work fulltime. What you told me was helpful. We can't have sex for another four weeks.

I don't understand why your doctor let you get back to everthing so quickly after your surgery. Please be careful, because I have read so much on line about taking it easy and not doing much lifting or the prolapse may reoccur. I can't lift more than the weight of a gallon of milk, and after 12 weeks no more than 15lbs. for life if I don't want the prolapses to come back.

take care
good to talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkiebook
Emma,

I donít know what happened to the last posting I did to you, but it isnít there, so I will try again. I donít know if this will help or if you like or can eat pineapple, but pineapple is a natural food item that will help with swelling. If it doesnít help it canít hurt you.

I only had the rectocele repair done, that might be why my doctor said I could get back to doing whatever I wanted. He never mentioned using lubrication, I did expect it to be uncomfortable, but I never expected the feeling that I got. After two tries one on Saturday and one on Sunday I never thought we would be having sexual relations again. However my mind flipped over to how I recovered from having a bone spur removed from behind my Achilles tendon. The recovery took about a year and I ended up doing a bit of therapy a friend told me to get a pair of swim fins and add those to my swimming. I started to think maybe I would need a little extra help getting my vagina back into shape. I went to an adult store and bought a fairly small *****, it would be something I could control myself. On those two occasions with my husband he would be upset thinking he had hurt me and lose his erection. I needed to find out what was wrong and fix it. I have tried a couple of times on my own the first time was very painful, but I was finally able to get it into my vagina. The last time things were beginning to feel more normal.

The good thing about this site is being able to chat with others who have either had the same thing or will be. Doctors are wonderful, but to be able to chat with someone who has first hand info is very good. Take care, and keep chatting.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
(female)

Therese5 HB User
Wink Re: Sex after cystocele and rectocele repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousforever
I was told to wait 4 to 6 weeks - or until all the stitches dissolved. I'd still use lubrication for right now if I were you....

I'm glad (but not really ya know) to know it wasn't just me that found the rectocele repair so painful. I know mine was a large one...
Curiousforever,

I am on week 9 and I still have pressure and pain. I did quite well with pain after surgery, but as the healing has taken place I have hurt more. I am slowly
Good Luck

Old 08-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
(female)

NanaR HB User

Hi, I'm so glad I finallly found someone who has had a rectocele. I have a number of questions. Was your surgery done by a coli/rectal surgeon or a Gyn doctor? Was it very painful after surgery and how long did you stay in the hospital? I gather recovery is slow. I am much older than you seem to be, a great-grandmother actually and have a large rectocele. I am debating the surgery. This causes me little or no pain but is very annoying, sometimes embarrassing and requires bathroom gymnastics which I find difficult...LOL. Please tell me what to expect and if you would have it done if you were me. Many thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
(female)

Therese5 HB User

NanaR

I had rectocele, cystocel and tvt. I am 53. The surgery wasn't all that bad and the pain was bearable. They warned me about the first bowel movement and to eat light. That wasn.t even that bad. the pain came more when I started to heal. I am on week 9 and things are working out pretty well. I still have an urethrocele and I thought all would be fixed after this surgery, so I am a bit disappointed. It proably means another surgery next summer because she will not go in there again for another year. By the way my doctor is a urogynocologist. She is trained espicially to do these surgeries.

Let me know how things work out

Good Luck

Last edited by Therese5; 08-12-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:10 AM   #12
(female)

junkiebook HB User

Emma,

I can certainly understand how you felt about going back to work fulltime. I did that last week too. I think it is a much wiser decision to wait, I have been not feeling as good as I had before we tried to have sex and I went back to work.

I have been a little bit concerned about how I have been feeling especially after reading about what you can do I can see that your doctor has a better understanding of things. My doctor has only stressed not to become constipated ever or the rectocele will reoccur. I work in a library which isnít a very hard job, but there are several books that do weigh more than a gallon of milk and after only one week, I can feel the difference. The last thing I want is for this to happen again.

I am 57 and my doctor is also a urogynecology doctor, who specializes in vaginal surgery, and also does surgical and non-surgical treatment of urinary incontinence. This reminds me that even though several doctors in RI say he is the best in the state there are other doctors that have a different view of our problem. Iím going to make another appointment with him and talk to him about the way I have been feeling, which is making me feel that I am headed back to square one. Thank you for telling me. I will certainly be more careful no matter what he tells me. It is good to talk, thank you again.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
(female)

junkiebook HB User

NanaR

I have described it as getting kicked in the crotch by a mule, and being very black and blue for a few days. That is a bit how it felt and things looked, but I agree with Emma that it wasnít terrible pain. When you think of what work has been done in that area it is going to be a bit uncomfortable, but I would tell you that I have felt a lot better since my surgery and I have been able to walk and stand for longer periods of time, which make a shopping trip better. Iím not sorry I had the surgery, and I am very glad for the added support of the ladies here. I am going to make changes in the way I do things and hope and pray that I havenít done anything to set me back for real.

My doctorís field is now urogynecology, he was a obgyn and a gyn before. He specializes in vaginal surgery as well as surgical and non-surgical treatment of urinary incontinence. I was in the hospital over night, and the doctor had me on morphine. I was given a dose in the evening, and should have just taken the 800 mg ibuprofen because I didnít feel well during the night, I kept having waves of nausea, I never was sick, just felt nauseous. I had the 800 mg ibuprofen prescription filled as well as the colace capsules. The ibuprofen I took for about two to maybe three weeks and then I stopped because I didnít feel any pain. I probably could have stopped taking them sooner, but I didnít because I had the prescription and took them, I still have a few left. Recovery is a bit slow, but if you feel better in the end I think it is worth it. That is one of the reasons I am going to slow down what I am doing, especially the lifting part and the sexual part. I have come too far to screw things up. As you can see there is a big difference between the doctorsí opinions. I think Iím going to adapt Emma5ís doctorís opinion, because of how I am feeling. Everyone is different, my doctor may have the right idea for most of his patients, but some of us are different.

As far as having the surgery, I think you need to think of your quality of life. For me I wasnít able to stand and go shopping without finding a seat. I carried a cane seat, but that wasnít always enough, and I would feel sick to my stomach for a couple of days after, and have a bulging feeling there. I had a few problems going to the bathroom. Those feelings and problems have gone away since my surgery. I am 57 and not overly active person, but I do like to swim and ride a bike. I havenít tried swimming, yet. We did go for a very small bike ride on a flat piece of a bike path. I can feel the difference, and I think it will be a while before I attempt a bike ride. Again I am not sorry that I have had the surgery and I will change what I have been doing. Good luck making your decision.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
(female)

NanaR HB User

Hi All, I'm not sure that I told you my age. I am 74 and active.According to the tests I have had I have a large rectocele which I discovered myself. I felt a LARGE lump in my thigh which apparently extends into my vagina. I had a cystocele and bladder suspension done in March by a wonderful Urologist but he doesn't do this kind of surgery of course. I wonder if I should see a urogynocologist for a second opinion. This thing doesn't hurt but it reguires laxatives and colace daily and "bathroom gymnastics" if you know what I mean. I'm conflicted about having the surgery sut if I don't and this gets worse in a few years I may not be healthy enough to have it done! Darn it!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
(female)

itsmeMI HB User

Nana, I would get a second opinion from a urogynecologist.

Last Monday I had my surgery - cystocele repair, rectocele repair, TOT and cystoscopy. Thus far I am doing okay though I am more uncomfortable today than in the past. Also, I think I am running a low grade temp - 101. For pain I take tylenol extra strength during the day and percocet at night. I am still doing some spotting but the doc said this might continue for 2 weeks. Next Monday I have a follow up appointment.

Last edited by itsmeMI; 08-14-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Closed Thread