It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
(female)

violet89 HB User
Treating UTI with cranberry tablets

Hi,

Following on from a prior post about UTI's, i was wondering if anyone has treated their UTI solely with cranberry tablets.

I have had a UTI for 9 days now- I went to the Dr 3 days after having symptoms. She did a urine test and said i had a UTI. However she just told me to take cranberry tablets, and that would clear it up.
From the beginning my symptoms havent been that bad I guess (after reading other posts). I didnt have any pain except for when I urinated- once finished urinating, I would get an ache just above my public bone/lower stomach for about 3 seconds. Its just the same as the feeling of REALLY busting to go to the toilet, then it disappears. Its weird because I dont really go to the toilet that frequently (which is supposed to be a main symptom)- its only at night. I have to get up at least 3-4 times a night to urinate. It feels like I'm busting, and on a couple of ocassions urine actually leaked out as I hurried to the toilet (normally I can hold it in). I'm pretty worried about this, I dont want to suddenly have an incontinence problem because of the UTI. Is incontinence a side effect?

The pain has decreased now, sometime I urinate and dont feel any pain, other times I feel a slight amount of pain. What bothers me the most is my poor sleeping- its a real pain to have to keep getting up at night.

So yeah, I was just wondering if anyone has had success getting rid of a UTI with cranberry tablets. Im taking 2-3 a day and each tablet is equiv to 10g fresh juice. I just dont have time to see a Dr at the moment & dont want to go if its not necessary...she didnt say anything about the risk of a kidney infection if left untreated. I'm confused about whether it has actually gone cos the pain is minimal. But I am worried....

Thanks

Last edited by violet89; 11-28-2006 at 02:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

hannahph HB User
Re: Treating UTI with cranberry tablets

That is really strange. I am quite suprised that your Dr is not treating you with antibiotics. I have dealt with UTI's often and have found that cranberry pills help control my symptoms but do not sure the infection. My grandomther also deals with chronic UTI's and is allergic to almost every antibiotic under the sun. With her they let her go untreated as long as they can before giving her IV antibiotics but they monitor her all the time. I would be concerned. I lnow you said you don't have time for the DR but if it were me I would want a second opinion. Sometimes they even have clinics where you can go at night if work is an issue. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I actually use cranberry tablets to PREVENT the UTI's or sometimes if I feel one coming on, I can stop it before it develops into an infection. There was a point where I had just had 2 infections in a row and once I started urinating more often, I could tell I would almost be getting one. The pills helped for this and were lifesavers...

BUT usually if you already have an infection, it's too late. I haven't heard of being able to cure the infection by using the pills. Usually a lot of the pills say they aren't used for curing it on the labels. I would ask the doctor for antibiotics.. sounds like the cranberry pills might be stopping it from becoming worse. If it was getting to the point where it would spread to your kidneys I think it would be a lot worse. I felt like a needle was jabbed in me every time I urinated and there was blood.. I was going every few minutes.. and mine did not spread to kidneys. The only person I know who had this happen said they were in so much pain they couldn't do anything. Sounds like you are preventing this, but definitely ask about the antibiotics!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I too have heard that cranberry juice or cranberry pills are only good as a preventative measure. If you have a UTI, it doesn't cure it. If you still have yours, go to another doctor.

Closed Thread