It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
(female)

emmasith HB User
Strange hymen

I'm confused about the type of hymen I have. It's not broken and I've never even inserted a tampon before. It looks like it covers my entire entrance except from 2 small holes at the top. It looks sort of like a septate hymen at the top and then the bottom half seems to be completely covered, and one bit seems lumpy. I've tried breaking it myself as it would seem easier in the long run, but it's just not happening. The most I can do is insert one finger into one of the holes and stretch it a little. Does anyone have any advice?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Strange hymen

You can continue to try to streatch it yourself, but maybe it would be more effective to go to your GP and discuss it with him/her. You can have it cut if it's bothering you (say you want to start using tampons, for instance). It is not usual to have a hymen like that as an adult but it is certainly not unheard of, so your doc will know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

Are you sure you're messing with your hymen? Do you know exactly where your hymen is located?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

emmasith HB User

Of course I do. It's at the opening of my vagina.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

emmasith HB User

I just wanted to add: I spoke with my GP and he said I needed to book myself in for an internal examination. I was there for an appointment about a completely unrelated issues, but I don't understand why he didn't just take a look whilst I was there. Now I'm worried as I don't know what to do. Do I ring my GPs office and ask for an "internal examine", or would that seem like TMI for them?

Also I've been reading threads on this and various other boards and what seemed like a simple procedure (hymenectomy) now seems massive. I thought it just involved local anesthetic, freezing of the area, a few seconds and a few stitches. That was according to one forum. And then another said it was general anesthetic, an hour, stitches and lots of pain for weeks, scarring and future problems with sex.

I feel like a total freak now.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

I'm pretty sure the reason that he didn't examine you at that point is that most dr's won't do a gynological exam without a nurse in the room, probably to avoid any uncomfortable feelings of a woman being spread-eagled, alone in a room with a guy, and the security of there being another person in the room so nobody can say anything inappropriate happened.

Do you see your GP for your yearly gyno exam and pap, or do you have a separate gynocologist? Just call whoever, and say you want to move up your exam, and when you go, tell them about it before they start, so they know what to look for. People do it all the time, don't feel weird about making an appt for such a thing, you're only one of a hundred women a day who call the desk and make an appt for a gyno exam!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

knerd HB User

Hi emmasith,
I just wanted you to know that you're not the only "freak" in the room. I was really concerned for awhile and thought I had some sort of internal problem. I can't use tampons. Reason being that I have a "separate hymen." I just recently learned this by doing some research online. Its not really common so far as I know, at least judging by how much info I couldn't pull up on certain topics. Anyway, when its time to take out my tampon, this string-like part of my vagina is attatched and wrapped around it; stopping the tampon from coming out. The first couple times this happened it was excruciatingly painful because I was a virgin and using tampons was really new. Now I know that I can not use tampons without that happening because there is a "bridge" of my hymen that is in the way. The way to remove it; so far as I know, is to go to the doctor and have minor surgery. I'm sure your's will be just as minor, so don't worry.
Well, anyway; just wanted to share my story with a fellow freak. Take care and I hope everything works out for you.

Closed Thread