It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

Snix HB User
"withdrawal method"

I think i am gonna go off the pill to see if it is causing my moodiness, depression, and decreased sex drive..

anyways, ON the pill, my bf and i always use the withdrawal method...

hopefully this isnt TMI, but basically he pulls out, and we are always careful to make sure nothing drips down there...

Ive heard this method isnt reliable, but i dont get why?? We;ve been doing this for almost 2 years, and never once has he accidently gone inside me. We both hate condoms, but obviously ARE willing to use them if absolutely necessary.

While i do want to have kids with him some day, i DO NOT want to have kids NOW!

i guess my main question is...why isnt it reliable?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-23-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: TMI.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: "withdrawal method"

I'm confused as to why you were using the withdrawl method while you were on the pilll.....there was no need to. The pill is 99% effective.

Don't use the withdrawl method if you go off the pill unless you want to be parents.

It's not even a method......it's a joke!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

luvgirl HB User

It's not the safest method for sure but it is possible. You guys can use condoms when you go off the pill if you want extra security. If you dont want to use condoms and still want to go off the pills I suggest you continue using the withdrawal method and use spermacide lubricant. It's not the best method but with the spermacide lubricant it adds a bit more protection vs just the withdrawal method. Statistically women tend to get pregnant just using the withdrawal method since a lot of men don't pull out when they should or pull out too late. If you guys have been using the withdrawal method along with the pill for years now then I say go ahead since your bf know when to pull out. Also a lot of women get pregnant too if their partner uses condoms. If you want a higher level of protection you have to be using it properly which sounds like the withdrawal method is working for the two of you.

Btw don't listen to what rosequartz says about using the pill and the withdrawal method. Yes the pill is 99% effective against pregnancy but if you want 100% protection then you will use a second method. Right now I use the condom and the pill. I'm just not ready to be a mommy yet so I'm taking precautions. If I get pregnant with those two combo then it'll be my miracle baby and how do you say no to a miracle baby

Old 01-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

The withdrawal method works well WITH the pill or another method. I also use that method and do the same thing along with my pill.. it seems easier for me so I don't have to deal with any messes later on.

But by itself, it's about 80% effective.. so yes, it's mostly effective, but that's still 20% of a chance! The reason is because pre-ejaculate fluid (even if you don't even notice any, there can be the tiniest bit) contains sperm as well. So even if he pulls out in time, there is still a chance from the pre-ejaculate fluid.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

Snix HB User

Rose...i used it cause i dont want to be a mom, and a lot of times on weekends i would take the pill 3 hrs later than normal (i take it when i wake up). Also, i dont want him to get in the habit of having one inside me...he never has (well, he has with condoms..) and wont until we are married.

Luvgirl..thanks. He has consistently been reliable, lol. There is always like a 3 second delay btwn pulling out, and him having one

turra - thanks too...thats what i was curious about...if there was any pre-ejaculate fluid. does this come our right before orgasm? Or can it come out anytime during intercourse? A lot of times (when on the pill) we would start sex w/out a condom, and add it later on...is that not a good idea??

Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

luvgirl HB User

Pre-ejaculate can happen any time during intercourse. He can get so excited that there is pre-*** before you guys even get started. Pre-ejaculate isn't as bad as having him ejaculating inside of you but it is just enough that it's pretty risky. If you really do not want a child at this point in your life then use both condoms and the withdrawl method. If you're really paranoid (like me ) use spermacide lubricants too! That provides a lot more protection. Plus statistically by using both you reduce the chance of getting pregnant a lot.

Btw I was told by my bf that it's ok to be a couple of hours late taking your pill. Not sure about 3 hours though. Why don't you take it before you go to bed? that way you don't have to wake up at a certain time to make sure you take your pill.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Snix,there is a great post on the pregnancy board that you might want to read.
Withdrawl method alone even with years of practice can and does fail. YOur best bet if you want to quit the pill is to do some research online about other methods of bc. Also talk to your doctor about what other choices you have. The Birth control board can also help you out as well.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
(female)

Snix HB User

thanks guys This helps a lot.

Ugh, how i resent being in the abstinence only health class in high school. Its amazing how ignorant i feel on this topic sometimes. I'm gonna see if there is a free health clinic around so i can talk to someone, since i dont really have a doctor (i am in the process of looking for one!)

Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

snix - why not call or visit the doctor that prescribed your birth control pills?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
(female)

fuzzybee HB User

Hi,
Hi i was using the withdrawal method with my bf for 4-5 years and never got pregnant.he even went back inside me ( which is even more stupid now i think back) and luckily i didnt get preg.!! HOW I DIDNT I DONT KNOW LOL.

Anyway .... i wouldnt take the chance again because itll happen when you least expect it i think,

xmex

Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

fuzzybee the time he went inside you, you prob werent ovulating.. if youre not ovulating you wont/cant get pregnant.. it is true that the pull out method can work, sometimes for a month, sometimes for a yr or more, other times the first time you use it, it doesnt work.. it is still debateable whether or not there is sperm in pre-ejaculate, i think it has been proven there can def. be left over sperm in the urethra so if your guy doesnt pee before sex sperm can def. get to where it wants to go, and sometimes the urge for a man is so strong they think they pul out in time, and some leaks out, and if your ovulating when it happens you can def get pregnant.. so if its not a risk you wanna take, id suggest maybe a diff bcp will help, or use condoms..

Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
i guess my main question is...why isnt it reliable?
Unfortunately, it is because the man isn't reliable. Now, I'm not going to say that every man is going to mess up, but in general, the reason the method fails is because the man fails to withdraw in time, every time, or reinserts when there is still semen from a previous ejaculation in his urethra. Both of those errors can cause pregnancy. According to Planned Parenthood statistics, this method has a 'typical use' failure rate of 27% over one year (do it for a year and 27% of the women will get pregnant). Not good odds.

Closed Thread