It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User
Bleeding during sex

It all started for me about two years ago when I switched to Orthotricyclen Lo, a lower dose of birth control. The bleeding would always happen when I had sex the week before my period. Then it started to happen sooner. My doctor switched me back to regular Orthotricyclen and I don't recall having any problems. Then I switched to Yasmin and the problem returned. So I went back to Trinessa (generic of OTC) and I was still sporadically experiencing bleeding during sex.

Now I'm off of the pill. Last month I had sex right after my period and there was NO bleeding. This month I had sex right before my period and I bled.

I'm so confused and so worried. I've seen my gyno about this many times and he says it's just the hormones most likely due to birth control. All of my paps have been normal since this whole thing started.

Can anyone help ease my mind or explain to me why this may be happening? I don't have any other symptoms...no pain at all, regular periods.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-31-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Survey question removed.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

natalie79 HB User
Re: Bleeding during sex

You get your period when the build-up of tissues, blood, and mucus along the uterine wall starts to slough off, right? (Something we all should know )
So, if your doctor has ruled out anything serious or life threatening, then I have a theory, one based on my own experiences: When you have sex just before your period, you're probably "shaking" some of that period-stuff loose. Especially if you have, well let's say enthusiastic , sex. It's possible that the birth control you have taken has affected the consistency of your menstrual fluids, allowing them to be more easily affected by rougher sex. Of course, this is taking into account that you are not experiencing any pain. If your doctor's not concerned, I wouldn't be either...unless your symptoms change.

Last edited by natalie79; 03-29-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

Thanks Natalie. You are probably right. But should my dr. be performing other tests on me? Like I said this started happening over two years ago. I've had regular paps and exams. I was just at my gyno's office a month ago about this problem and to tell him I was stopping birth control and I had him feel my ovaries while I was there and he didn't feel anything unusual. Anything serious should have caused other symptoms by now I would think? Right? I don't have any pain or any other symptoms at all.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

natalie79 HB User

I think that your doctor hasn't recommended other tests because of the absence of other symptoms...for the most part, if your body is in trouble, it lets you know! Two years is long time to be having this issue, but remember, you have changed b.c. a number of times, and your system needs time to adapt each and every change.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

That's true, but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and I'm constantly fearing the worst. And I'm so aggravated that this problem has ruined my sex life. I never want to have sex with my fiance. It really sucks. I feel terrible.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

I would say that if after 2 years of this if you haven't developed any new symptoms in addition and you also haven't died, then you're FINE. Because if it was something really serious, you would have started having some other symptoms by now. Two years is a long time, especially when you're talking about the big C. In that case, even 2 months is a very long time, because with most cases, it spreads really quickly and you'd be having some other type of symptoms by now.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

Thank you for that post. It really made me feel a little better about this whole situation, as I've been in quite a panic about it lately. I agree with you completely, it's just better hearing it come from someone else.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
(female)

IhATeBaCkPaIn HB User

I expierience this and I am NOT on BC I had a tubal 10 years ago. I have been having bleeding during sex for I don't know how many years. Painful too.I was once told I have endometriosis in the cul-de-sac of my uterus, this was years ago I am assuming since this time it has spread. Have you been checked for endometriosis SweetPea?
It puts a HUGE damper during sex while you are in the moment and he says "YOUR BLEEDING" and it's not just a little spotting. I have been to 2 Dr's and they both say nothings wrong. I say yes there is, you aren't the one cramping or bleeding while your having that intimate moment. My Dr. says well if he loves you he should understand . I do not think this is a normal process of a womans cycle especially if you take BC when it is supposed to regulate your bleeding.
If you find any answers SweetPea let me know. Good Luck
Kelly

Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

I've never been checked for endo, I'm guessing because I don't have any pain with the bleeding at all. Just bleeding. I think birth control can alter your uterine lining and things like that, which is why my bleeding COULD be due to the pills. I'm off of them now and when I had sex right after my period I had no bleeding at all. As I got closer to my period I did bleed during sex.

I'm gonna give it a while longer... I've only been off of the pill for two months and it's going to take time to get those nasty hormones out of my body. Hopefully it gets resolved but I'll keep you updated!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
(female)

raznboersnkids HB User

I suffer from this problem too, knowing its going to be like this almost everytime really puts you out of the mood. My problem started after a bad child birth, has anyone else had a bad delivery? I've heard it could be as simple as hormones.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

It definitely puts a damper on things. I'm only 23 and my fiance is only 26...we should be having all kinds of sex. But sadly, at this point, we're lucky if it's twice a month. I'm lucky because my fiance is really understanding and if I don't want to, he doesn't press the issue.

But to answer your questions, no, I haven't had any children. So my issue can't be because of that.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
(female)

raznboersnkids HB User

Yeah, my husband is understanding to a point, we are more often than twice a month, due to this I just dont have the desire to anymore, its not me and who I am. Its like omebody threw a wrench in the machine ya know. Im pretty sure though my problems started after my deliveries but since you have no kids that cannot be the issue with you. Its a real puzzle, I was wondering if there was a common link but its not kids. I was on ortho tri cyclen 28 for a few years, Im 30. Im on depo shot now. I doubt its your hormones, my friend thinks that is part of my problem, she also said lubrication issues but I dont have that issue. Im at a loss, I dont know what else to attempt to compare, you have any ideas.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

Maybe it's the Orthotricyclen. I'm not sure. I know I didn't have this problem at all until I switched to Orthotricyclen Lo. That whole year I was on it I'd bleed during sex ONLY right near my period. Then it became more frequent. That' what makes me think it's the hormones in the birth control pills. If you're on depo now it could be that. I've read some other women complain about all kinds of spotting from depo.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
(female)

raznboersnkids HB User

A friend of mine suggested it was a hormone imbalance so she advised some vitamins and hrt over the counter, I started mine today, will let ya'll know if this helps! Keep fingers crossed.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

Hmm..that's interesting! What kind of vitamins?

Closed Thread