It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Ginkgo Biloba to increase sex drive?

Okay, so I have other posts on here about my lack of sex drive and what to do about it. Here's a little background for those of you not familiar with my situation:

I was on Prozac (an SSRI) for eight years. During that time, it killed my sex drive. I was prescribed Wellbutrin (another antidepressant) to combat the problem. This worked for the libido problem, but made my hair fall out. This was not a good trade off for me, since I was already losing hair from the Prozac, so I stopped taking it. So, long story short, I've been off the Prozac (and all meds) for four months now and still have no sign of a sex drive, with the exception of once a month (ovulation). My husband and I aren't interested in having children, by the way. So, my question is: Has anyone on here had any luck with taking Gingko to give them their sex drive back? I just started taking it and I'd like to know if there is any hope. Please do not suggest any prescription drugs. I am very sensitive to side effects and do not wish to take any more. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tarheel247 HB User
Re: Ginkgo Biloba to increase sex drive?

not sure about the Ginko..but it takes six months to a year for the sex drive to return after meds like that. since you've been on them so long i'd think it will take the full time. it took a good six for mine to come back after i was on antidepressants for stress/anxiety. but when it did come back..it came back with a vengance. nympho is a way i'd describe it. anyway don't worry. it will come back. if you let it get you down then it will just take longer to return.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've heard/read 3-6 months, not a year . It's already been four months, I guess we can hold out for another two, but a year? I don't even want to think about that. If it is true, though, about it coming back, he's going to be hiding from me when I do 'come around', because I'll be ready to blow by then. Thanks for the reply, I feel better now, like there's hope. I just hope it only takes six months. These last four years, I was only on 40mgs.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-11-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I haven't heard either.. but let us know if you give it a try and if it works for you. I am on Cymbalta right now for anxiety and depression but luckily it hasn't affected me in that way. It was supposed to have one of the lower risks for sexual side effects. I actually had a lot of body image problems before and hated my body.. now I've lost a few pounds and have been taking better care of myself and actually have more of a sex drive due to that! I would also take Ginkgo if it worked just in case for those "bad days."

Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tarheel247 HB User

not saying it will be a whole year before it comes back. but up to a year before it is back full force.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

I know you said no prescriptions. But the sex drive is controlled by testostereone. A compounded 5% testosterone cream rubbed on the clitorus a few times a week will bring back the sex drive. Your gyno can prescribe it.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Will it make me hairy? Or, will I lose the hair on my head? I had alot of hair loss from the Prozac and I don't want to lose any more.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Females normally have testosterone, but SSRI antidepressants mess up the hormone levels. A little dab about the size of a pea should not mess up your hair. If you are worries you, only rub it on 2 or 3 time a week 1/2 hour to 4 hours before sex

Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
(female)

tammy2000 HB User

Where did you hear to take Ginkgo Biloba to increase sex drive?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
(female)

KarenRB53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy2000 View Post
Where did you hear to take Ginkgo Biloba to increase sex drive?
I have also read about ginkgo helping with the sex drive while on Prozac. Just wondering if it has indeed helped anyone? Prozac is the only antidepressant that lifts my depression but it does definitely affect my sex drive.

Closed Thread