It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
(female)

Crimson609 HB User
Question Is it safe to have sex with an indwelling catheter

Not sure if I shoould post on this or the urology site.
I've been told I need to have an indwelling catheter until investigations are carried out as to the pain I'm in without one.
My partner and I hardly ever make love due to my pain from various medical issues but now I've got a catheter in really not sure what to do.
Hoped some1 would have some advice rather than having to ask my doc as it is rather embarrassing.
Not been out of pain enought to try as yet but if I am would like to take the opportunity, carefully of course.
Wondered if any1 has experience in this and could give me some hints and tips.

Last edited by Crimson609; 07-04-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: forgot to subscribe sorry!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Is it safe to have sex with an indwelling catheter

Hey scraggy, here I am again! I seem to find your posts.

All I could find out on this subject is men wanting to know if they could have sex with a cath. in. They do it, so why couldn't you if your up to it. Also, there are other ways to pleasure him if you are up for that. Hope someone has more information for you. I just don't want you to be straining things if they are going good for you right now. Like I said there are other ways. Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

In my opinon this is something you need to ask your Dr.
Don't be modest about your health...ask away girl.

If your refering to intercourse?
It probably would not hurt anything if you guys take it eazy and slow, the only thing that I would be concerend about= ...would be the catheter come lose/out? or would there be any cause of infections? from injury?
Just a Thought.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Hi Diana,
I think I just need a direct line 2 u and ask u everything LOL. Really appreciate u looking into things, but I also see your point about taking things easy. Think we'll wait until after the appt with the urologist and ask him his advice. I'm probably being optimistic that I'll get to a state of not being in any pain so we can anyway but a girl can hope!

Thanks Chevyman,
We hadn't thought of the infection issue which is slightly ironic considering I'm always aware of infection with a catheter just didn't think about it from the intercourse perspective.As I'e just said to "drs" will wait and consult the urologist I'm seeing on tuesday. The catheter shouldn't come out by the way as its anchored firmly in place by a balloon, believe me I know as I've caught the cord a few times and boy does it smart! That does bring up another issue we'd have to be careful of. Could be so concerned about hurting me miss the moment anyway. Thanks for your advice though.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Scraggy, remember if you feel up to it there are other ways of tending to his needs besides intercourse. He's probably just as stressed out with all the worry over you. It may help as this is a great stress reliever for men. Just a thought. Huggs. Diana

Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Good point there,
It's something I can't get him to talk about much, he hasn't had many long relationships and "took me on" knowing that our sex life could be rocky to say the least. I have tried bringing the subject up but he just reassures me hes fine and isn't going to go anywhere. I'm nervous as it was the start of my marriage going wrong in my opinion , not having sex so I am super aware of the issue. I think your idea of trying other ways could be something to look into as it wouldn't be painful for me but could relax both of us which I think we both need.
I do appreciate your advice, I look forward to seeing if you've answered me every time I come online.
Going to have tea now, take care and have a great day,
Elaine

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Elaine, are things getting any better for you? Diana

Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Hi There,

Knocked myself unconscious last night on the bathroom sink and falling pulled the catheter so sore and definitely not considering doing anything now until after tuesday's appt. Noticed we've lost our general health :-(
Take care huggs

Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, scraggy, huggs man! You poor thing. Glad to hear from you. Sorry you had a bad experience with your hose. Write back when you can. Just wanted to quick let you know I'm here. Diana

Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Really glad to have you as a friend at the minute. I can talk to you and really say how I feel. I know Dave's worried 2, we did try last night to have sex but had to abort when he went inside me as it was way too painful. Not surprising really :-(
Al least we tried Dave appreciated the fact I told him it was hurting rather than carrying on and trying to endure the pain, I think I've got a brilliant partner :-(
Big huggs x

Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I say you do have an understanding man there, he's a keeper!

As far as your fear of having babies in the future with him...
Some good news is that the S.W. Enzyme does eat fibrin, which is the fibrous tissues of endometriosis, also it eats up scar tissues from surgery and helps with inflammation. I'm sure in your case you would have to have the endo removed first then try the enzymes, more than likely in large doses on an empty stomach. So it works more in the body and not as a digestive aid. It can also block pain producing triggers in the body. Your suppose to increase it till it starts working. Some need more, some need less. At least maybe you could have a decent sex life if the pain wasn't so bad. You know? Just remember not to have any of this stuff two days be4 and two days after a surgery. I'd get some if I were you.

I'd not only take it on an empty stomach but take some with food so you can eat more, and digest your foods. Something to think about. Diana

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Hiya,

Have tried everywhere to buy it not sure if it's licenced over here. Sounds like it would be really useful in load of aspects though. Not having a gd time hence going missing for a few days. Had to measure input and output which is really tricky now I've had to take the catheter out. He wants output naturally and to measure the amount via the catheter(single use) its really difficult to do. Will Talk in more depth on the correct site.
TC, huggs

Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
(female)

mbwilley HB User

OH GOD YES!!!!!! And might I add that I noticed at times the cath can make things a bit more sensitive than before. If you catch my drift. I feel comfortable by telling you it is ok due to the fact that I have a book on it and have had several doctors and therapists tell me that it was a good idea to get back to it as soon as I was up for it. It is best to have your tubing taped to your leg or abdomen, as it may get in the way. Also, be sure to clean the *area* after you are done with a mild soap and warm water. You don't need more reasons to get a UTI. I hope this helps you out with your situation. I know that getting back to your sex life is important, you don't want to feel alienated by medicine, and you should never feel that way. There are many things you are able to do when under the care of medical pros...even if you thunk it's not something you would be able to do...
~Lyss~

Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
(female)

Crimson609 HB User

Thank you ever so much, seems there's always something stopping us normally pain from 1 area or another but with a catheter as well I just gave up. Not being allowed to waer one as much now, only as a break for a few days if I'm in loads of pain, trying to train my bladder to go longer and longer without going to the loo so it donesn't get used to catheters full stop. If u want we can chat about them on the urology link, need to talk about the subject we are on the post of on her so more sexual matters than catherterising. Didn't know if u realise that. Would be happy to chat if u want. Set up a thread on a topic u want to talk about I'm sure I can find u. If u want to chat to me that is.
Really grateful of the advice, given up hope on any1 else answering
Scraggy

Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Scraggy, if your wanting to talk about the cathing and having a relationship while wearing one, you can talk about it here. That is the title of your post. So it does work to talk more on it here.
There may be others out there that need this information, they may be struggling with the how to's and if you can's of cathing and sex.

Sorry your still having such a time with it all.
Huggs, Diana

Closed Thread