It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
(female)

SammyJoe5 HB User
Wellbutrin & Sex Drive

I am a 26 year old female and am healthy for the most part. In the past 2 years, my libido has significantly lower and I never want to have sex (which shouldn't be the case for a female at my age). I went to see a doctor for this issue where I was giving many tests including testosterone levels which were very low. I stopped taking my birth control (ortho tri cyclin) and tried an IUD. This really didnít help the libido plus it made me a bit moody and emotional. After 4 months, I had the IUD removed and was put on a low-dose pill (Mircette). I still havenít seem a big improvement in my libido.

My doctor mentioned Wellbutrin to increase my libido. I am told itís a anti-depressant and itís also used to help quit smoking as well. My worry is I am healthy, happy and not depressed and I am scared that if I start Wellbutrin and either misses a dose or go off of it for some reason, I will be depressed since I am used to taking it. Has anyone taken Wellbutrin to increase their libido who is healthy with no depression issues? Would you recommend it? Side effects? What about drinking while on Wellbutrin?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Wellbutrin & Sex Drive

I was on Wellbutrin several years ago b/c I had a low sex drive. I had also gained weight and was feeling down about my weight - which made me not feel sexual. I was in my 20's and should had been enjoying sex with my partner, but I felt fat and ugly.

As for the Wellbutrin, I didn't love being on it at first. It messed with my sleeping habits and I suggest you take it in the morning. I had to take a sleep aid b/c I couldn't get into a deep sleep on it. I got used to it after a few weeks and no longer needed the sleep aid. Also, I had some pretty weird and disturbing dreams while on it. Other than that, I can't say that Wellbutrin was a drug that did anything MAJOR to disrupt my life. Once my body adjusted, my spirits started to life, I lost some weight, and I felt better about myself.

As for drinking, I don't remember what they recommend, but I have always been a wine drinker and still had my glasses of wine while on it. I don't know how much drinking you do, but I would not recommend drinking a lot while taking it.

When I weaned myself off of the Wellbutrin several months later, I felt like I had the flu for a week. I did not like coming off of it, but after a week I was fine. I wasn't in bed or anything, but I felt under the weather.

Honestly, if you are healthy and need something to enhance your sex drive, it is worth trying. It isn't the worst medication to be on and you may not have any of the side effects I had - or yours can be totally different. You can give it a try for several weeks and see if it helps. Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Sammy -

The Wellbutrin may or may not help increase your sex drive. You should not drink while taking it, though, because the mix of the two can cause seizures. If it were me, though, I wouldn't take it at all. If you do, you're basically treating a side effect from one med (the pill) with yet another med that has side effects of its own. I've taken Wellbutrin before. My side effects were decreased appetite, sweating, hair loss, anxiety, and auditory hallucinations (yes, you read that last one right! I've never experienced anything like that before in my life, it was very scary). Like the other poster stated, though, you may not get the same side effects. I'm very sensitive to medications. It does sound like most of your problem, though, stems from the low testosterone effect caused by hormonal birth control. Your only hope to correct that is to go off it. After that, with time things should straighten out. The longer you stay on it, though, the worst your sex drive can get.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-05-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

no bad side effects. did help my libido...maybe a little much (lol). no, i don't think you'll get depressed if you miss a dose or anything. i miss my doses a lot sometimes and im still okay

Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
(female)

30kieali HB User

What is your history with low libido? What other things did you try prior to the wellbutrin? I have tried everything and wellbutrin is my last try.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

30kieali HB User

Hi,
I would like to correspond with you. I have had the same problem for 6 years, starting at age 24. I am now 30. It would be great to talk to someone young, not going through menopause that also has the same problem as me. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
(female)

SammyJoe5 HB User

30kieali - have you tried anything else? I am open to suggestions of other ways to boost my libido before diving into Wellbutrin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30kieali View Post
Hi,
I would like to correspond with you. I have had the same problem for 6 years, starting at age 24. I am now 30. It would be great to talk to someone young, not going through menopause that also has the same problem as me. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
(female)

30kieali HB User

Hi,
I have had this problem for 6 years starting at age 24. It is so frustrating and has really damaged my relationship with my husband. I have tried testosterone injections, gel and cream. The injection felt like it worked for about a week and then it went away. It is supposed to last 6 weeks. I guess you should try testosterone first, it just didn't work for me. Wellbutrin is my last hope. What is your background on low libido? What age did it start for you and how long have you had this problem? How is it effecting your intimate relationship? Thanks and look forward to hearing back from you!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
(female)

SammyJoe5 HB User

Hi - the problems really started after I was put on spironolactone for my acne. What is does is blocks the testosterone or somehow gets rid of it in your system therefore I had no sex drive. I have been off this for about a year and still haven't seen much difference. I should try testosterone although i am scared that I am goign to have bad acne again! It has had an affect on my intimate relationship however my boyfriend is super supportive. He knows I have trouble and had to go see a doctor. I do orgasm from oral however never from sex. I never really have an urge for sex or am ever "horny"but i do try at least to have sex every so often. Sometimes when we are having sex though, I just want it to be over. I really need to go see the doctor for some alternative ideas....I don't think I want to go down the Wellbutrin road given the fact it is an anti-depressant and I also drink socially every weekend and I dont want to give that up to be on an anti-depressant. Also I am scared that it will negatively effect me since i am not a depressed person???

Last edited by SammyJoe5; 04-22-2009 at 04:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to SammyJoe5:
Buckby (08-12-2011)
Closed Thread