It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

mlswim HB User
douching before sex while on period

my boyfriend and i have a long distance relationship and we are meeting up this weekend. we haven't seen each other for a month and a half, so sex is pretty much inevitable. what i want to know is if i douche on sunday (a relatively light day on my period as i started today) would there still be blood?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
(female)

MissS2 HB User
Re: douching before sex while on period

I think your period will start whether you douche or not... douching is a pretty inconsistent method to deal with these sorts of things- and can even be dangerous during your period. Your vagina is a natural cleansing organ and is usually pretty efficient in getting rid of the bad stuff by itself. Douching can actually lead to infections and depending on the type and/or frequency of the douching can lead to short- or long-term health problems.

It's an inconvenience at times like these! But my best advice is to go with the flow (no pun intended!). Hopefully your boyfriend will understand- and hopefully your period will be light!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

Just Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB User

Why are douche's still on the market? Douching is not a safe nor healthy practice and should only be done if advised to do so by a Dr. Douching during menstruation is a double NO NO! Your cervix is more open which means bacteria from the lower vaginal tract can actually get into the uterine cavity not to mention the preservatives and chemicals in the douch itsself can irritate the uterus. Unfortunately mother nature isn't convenient but it's a part of life and men who want females for partners needs to understand that. There's nothing wrong with having sex during your period as long as both parties want to and are fine with it, just put an absorbant towel underneath you. If you don't want to, then don't do it, he'll just have to wait until the next 6 week visit.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Douching will clean out your vagina, but the blood will continue to leak from your uterus into your vagina, so that would only be a temporary solution, how effective it is depends on your flow. I'd guess there would still eventually be blood.

There is a menstrual product called the Instead cup that you can use while having intercourse. It sits on your cervix like a diaphragm. He may be able to feel it, so you should tell him, but it should at least keep the blood away. If he's really against having sex while you're on your period, this might be an option.

That said, maybe you should just ask him how he feels. If your flow is light, he might be fine with it, some guys are, some guys aren't. Some guys are even fine with a heavy flow.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

Cakies HB User

Instead of douching you could just take a bath. Thats what I do when I want to have sex during my period. When you lie down in the tub the water will wash away any blood thats currently in the vagina but it won't stop new blood from coming. Its safer than douching just don't go putting soap or shampoo up there that would be bad.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Cakies, how will the bath water wash away blood in the vagina? Are you suggesting that somehow she gets bath water into her vagina?

Closed Thread