It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

GJBGGG HB User
Should I go to a female doctor, for a penis issue?

About two months ago, I got an abrasion just below the head of my penis (won't say how) - it started out a bit sore and slightly tender (like a little ulcer) and that healed over, but then the area became very red and itchy, and spread around and all over the head of my penis - it's worst around my peehole (I know it can't be an STD, I've been in a "dry spell" for over a year - only one partner in that time and I always used a condom and never had any probs while I was "active.") Sorry for the graphic details. Sorry also that I'm posting about a male issue on a women's sexual health board, but I thought some of you might know more about self-help with this sort of "private" thing, than they would on a men's health board.
I tried a number of things on it - desenex seemed to help, but I only had a tiny tube of it so I stole a tube of monistat (for women) from Wal-Mart. (Yeah, stupid I know but this problem is that embarrassing to me.) Monistat made it go away so I stopped using it after a couple days, and it came back. I went through this cycle a couple times and now its back, itchier than ever and the monistat isn't working anymore. But I don't want to go to a Dr.!
I don't have health insurance, so my local Community Clinic is the way to go (sliding fee scale) but the doctors and nurses are all women though. (Here's another reason I posted about my problem on your board.)
How do I TELL them about this? Especially a female receptionist?
*IMPORTANT* Can I just tell them about the problem, and keep my pants on? Do they HAVE to look at it?***
I get hard in a stiff breeze - what if I got an erection during the exam? And worse - I produce a LOT of precum when I get hard. I walk around damp "down there" on a regular basis. I've also been known to spontaneously ejaculate if I'm "handled" sometimes - I seem to still have the plumbing of a 17-year-old.
I would be so embarrassed standing in front of a woman doctor/nurse with an erection and fluid dribbling out of my penis... What if I came on her hands while she was checking my junk? (I'm REALLY afraid of that! She'd might think I'd scheduled the appointment so I could get off on some medical fetish, or what have you.)
And the thing is, this would be even WORSE with a male doctor! (Feeling "gay" would be even worse, even though rationally I suppose that's just silly - but STILL. And, that would cost me a lot more $$$!)
So - any self-treatment options anybody knows about based on the symptoms I mentioned? I really DON'T want to go to a Dr. for this.
Thanks for any answers/advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
(male)

mercury01 HB User
Re: Should I go to a female doctor, for a penis issue?

You should definitely go see a doctor there. I know it can be nerve racking to see a female doctor, but trust me, they have been trained to work with people of all genders and ages and are not embarrassed about it. And they are aware that sometimes young men get erections during examinations. If that happens, they will probably almost ignore it and not embarrass you. It has happened to them before, and they have been trained to deal with these types of scenarios. Before the doctor takes a look, if you want you can say something like, "First I need to apologize that I get erections really easily sometimes and that if it happens I really don't mean to. If you could please be quick that would be helpful." And they'll say don't worry about it, it will be a quick exam. If you were to come in her hands, she'll be wearing gloves, but the exam will probably be pretty short and that is very unlikely to happen. All you have to say to the female receptionist if she asks is "penile scratch" or something. The receptionist is unlikely to ask you many questions and is really just trying to get through the day.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The great thing about female docs is that, especially if you tell them your concerns ahead of time, they are way more compassionate about your problem. I never go to any male doctor anymore because I have yet to find one who isn't totally impatient, rude, and inconsiderate. This one time I was sick with bronchitis and missed a week of work. The antibiotics I got weren't helping. My regular woman doc was unavailable so they put me with another from her practice. This guy was so mean! I was crying cause I was so upset about missing so much work and I didn't want to get fired and he kept saying, What's your problem, why are you being such a baby? I was like geez, what a jerk! That was only 1 of the many male docs who totally sucked that I've seen over the years.

Anyways, just make an appointment and before you show her anything tell her upfront what you're worried about and tell her you're embarassed. I'm sure she will understand. You've got nothing to lose. It's to your benefit to go to a doc to clear it up with the right meds. You could be treating it with all the wrong stuff and that's why it hasn't healed yet.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

As a woman who's gone through dozens of gynecological exams and talked to both male and female primary care physicians about all sorts of embarrassing things, my only advice is to keep it clinical. Dude, you're in a sterile environment with a professional technician getting a problem taken care of. So what if you get an erection? Like Mercury said, they're trained in this sort of thing. They've seen and heard everything. And they're trained to be a professional technician.

Believe me, it's part of their training to make you feel at ease. They want you to feel comfortable to call again and return to them or another clinician down the road when you have a problem.

Like I said, keep it clinical. You're not there for a date or to check out broads' breasts. Keep yourself in the same mindset as you would if you were having lunch with your grandmother or applying for a job or getting a filling from a dentist.

Write down what you've tried over the counter that seemed effective and what you've tried over the counter that didn't work. That will help the doctor to give you the right kind of care. You don't want to drag these things out any longer than necessary.

And try not to stress about woman vs. man. The very best doctor I've ever had in my entire life was a male gynecologist. I've had male and female doctors for all sorts of conditions and just general family medicine. There's good ones, great ones and not so great ones. I actually prefer a male to check my private junk out because my thinking is if anyone's going to go probing down there, it's gonna be a guy, not a gal.

Best of luck to you. You'll be kicking yourself in the butt that you didn't go sooner when it's all done. And more than likely, you'll never have this anxiety again. The first time is usually the worst.

Closed Thread