It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

Charlee 2010 HB User
Weird scent after ejaculation

After having unprotected sex with my boyfriend, I find that for the next 2 days or so, I have an odd smell around my vaginal area. We use condoms, but now that we have been cleared of STI's, we have stopped using them. There is also more discharge than usual. I find that when we use condoms, I don't have this problem. Is semen supposed to create this odor?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
(female)

sheona HB User
Re: Weird scent after ejaculation

The most common infection of the vagina in called bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is an overgrowth of normal bacteria found in the vagina, causing increased discharge and an abnoraml smell; which is more noticable after un protected sex. This is due to the alkaline pH of semen lowering the acidic nature of the vaginal environment.

Lots of things can increase the risk of BV developing including; having a IUD fitted, smoking, new or multiple sexual partners, recent antibiotic use and vaginal douching.

If you visit your GP, s/he will take some swabs to confirm and it's easily treated with a course of antibiotics (such as Metronidazole), cream or a pessary.

Unfortunately, once you've had it once, it does tend to return at some point in life.

Good luck, Sheona.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread