It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

QandAandKTHXBAI HB User
Can you lactate without being pregnant?

I think I've heard of people lactation before without being pregnant, but this has never ever happened to me before today so I'm kind of worried.
I was in the shower and sort of squeezed my nipple (not even hard) and some white, thin liquid came out. I made it happen a few more times with each breast. It wasn't a lot of liquid either, just a couple drops. This has NEVER happened before.
Does this automatically mean I'm pregnant or can this sometimes happen?

I'm on no medications and I haven't been on birth control for the past two months. ***?

Last edited by QandAandKTHXBAI; 09-18-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: errors

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
(female)

sheona HB User
Re: Can you lactate without being pregnant?

Honey, I'd get a pregnancy test just to make sure. Though if you have been having regular periods and have no other symptoms, lactating in early pregnancy happens but is not too common.

If the test is negative, I'd recommend a trip to the GP just to make sure everything is A-OK! Do you check your breasts regularly for irregular lumps or changes?

Hope you find your answer,

Good luck and take care
Sheona

The Following User Says Thank You to sheona For This Useful Post:
missy54 (12-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

If you have ever been pregnant before and breastfed you can certainly have milk. If you were on the pill--it does make the body think it is pregnant--you could possibly have milk. If you are experiencing hormonal changes--yes. Just to be sure give the nurse at the doc's office a call. If you still feel uneasy after a pregnancy test? Make an appointment.Sincerely, searchin

The Following User Says Thank You to Searchin For This Useful Post:
missy54 (12-26-2011)
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

It is completely normal to be able to express a small amount of liquid-even if you haven't ever been PG. The liquit can be clear, yellow, greenish- all completely normal.

Large amounts- bloody, etc you should call the dr.

Pup

Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

If you start finding the milk to be thick and white and you can feel the fat in the milk(like real whole milk) then see your doc. A tiny tumor in the pituitary gland called a prolactinoma can cause that to happen. Very treatable.

good luck.............Jenny

Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
(female)

nannydee24 HB User

Not sure hold old you are, but at 68 years old I began to lactate. Was I surprised? You bet. My prolactin level was off the chart because I had a pituitary brain tumor which does NOT mean you have one. This prolactin issue can certainly cause you to have secretion from the breast. But, perhaps your doctor can test your prolactin level. Ask him. It may be hormonal. Good Luck.

Closed Thread