It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2001, 03:52 PM   #1

clinky38 HB User
Plasma donation=loss of sexual desire

I've been told that among other information, our plasma's chief components of is water (90 to 92 percent) and proteins (6 to 8 percent). It also containes various dissolved substances...including hormones.

Question: What hormones of the body does plasma transport?

If an individual donates plasma, I'm assuming those hormones also leave the body, forcing it to work harder to produce more of those hormones,
OR
does the body protect itself against this twice weekly "assault" and saves it's renewing energy for other "important stuff" the body really needs, neglecting to produce, in equal quantity, the hormones being drawn out?

Basis of question (purely hypothetical of course):

If an individual female (38 years) donates plasma twice a week (because the Rh negative factor with antibodies is in market demand), and given that plasma contains hormones, could that possibly be a cause for the (markedly so) decrease in libido?

As a test, hypothetical female stopped donating plasma for approximately 4 weeks (after donating consistently for 2 years) - no difference noted.

The family physician was asked; response: clueless.

However, in reading these postings, I will also be going to my physician and requesting checking of my testosterone levels. Has anybody experimented with adding testosterone and had to find a balance with the (undesirable) hair growth? 13 years of marriage....something needs to be done!!
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2001, 09:29 PM   #2

Christine VR HB User
Re: Plasma donation=loss of sexual desire

I don't think that donating plasma would decrease your hormones in your body, because like blood your body does make more. I could be wrong but I have a blood disease in which they remove my plasma and replace it with donated plasma. I don't feel any different hormonally when recieving treatmenst, and I recieve plasma from both male and female donors.

Old 06-20-2001, 08:20 AM   #3

clinky38 HB User

Thanks much for the insight. Now for me to find the difference. Are you single, no kids no "major" stresses (other than your plasma rotation)and your sexual desire is still strong? Or would you also have the same married hassles as I have (in addition to the medical problems) and you still have strong libido? I'm the latter - minus the medical issues.
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2001, 08:21 AM   #4

clinky38 HB User

Sorry, one more: At your next plasma session, would you be able to ask your physician this question?

Old 07-06-2001, 02:12 AM   #5

Christine VR HB User

I am single with no children. actually because of my blood disorder I am advised not to have children. My sex drive is pretty much normal, or at least I think it is. And in answer to the last question, when i get a chance I will ask my doctor. I will let you know.

Old 07-06-2001, 09:18 AM   #6

clinky38 HB User

Thanks for taking the time. I do appreciate it. I will of course be taking the blood test and I'm pretty certain it will show a lower than normal testosterone level. Thanks again.

Closed Thread