It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

darrrkerv1sit0r HB User
Question Cervical Rubbing During Intercourse...

I just had my yearly PAP with my gyno,
and my doctor noticed that my cervix seemed a little inflamed.
I remarked that I've noticed, although rarely, after sex
that there sometimes is a few drops of blood directly afterwards- nothing my partner would notice, but enough to be noted.
Also, I can definitely feel it, during sex, if my cervix is being rubbed too hard- it is just a little discomfort... but it certainly is not pleasurable.
I actually had to find a doctor who could perform the PAP without twisting my cervix around!! My first doctor really tore me up... I would have discharge up to a few days after the office visit... so my new gyno that I've been seeing for the last 3 years gives me a relaxed, smooth procedure...
he recommended that if I still feel discomfort during sex, that I should have my cervix frozen. I've taken some changes to my sexual routine to ensure I don't feel that rubbing... but if I choose to get my cervix frozen... what would be the benefits? Is the procedure simply to reduce sensitivity, or are there actually medical reasons to do so?
Is there any chances for future issues if I choose NOT to have my cervix frozen? I don't feel like this is something I NEED to do, but if it prevents health issues in the future, such as cysts...

Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Cervical Rubbing During Intercourse...

If I understand correctly, your pap test is normal, but your cervix is raw/inflamed, right?
This is a common problem among young women (under 25) and also among users of hormonal contraception. It's called cervical erosion, also known as cervical ectropion. It can cause bleeding after sex, but it isn't dangerous, and requires no treatment. It tends to clear up on its own when the woman 1. gets older, or 2. stops using hormonal birth control.

I have heard that if it's bothersome, doctors will sometimes treat it with cryotherapy (freezing of the cervix).

I actually had this procedure at age 16, but it was for CIN, related to the hpv virus. Back in those days (over 20 years ago) cryo was the standard treatment for mild to moderate CIN. It had now been replaced by the LEEP procedure.

The cryo procedure isn't bad- to my recollection, it doesn't hurt at all during the procedure, although I was very nervous and I recall a weird smell (it might've been the chemicals they use).
Afterward, though... about half an hour afterward, your cervix starts to "thaw out", and then there's some serious cramping. It started just as I got home, and I took some pain pills and went straight to bed, and slept for the rest of the day. It was fine by the next day, but then there was an icky-smelling brown discharge for a week or so after the procedure.
After about two weeks, I was fine and it was as if nothing ever happened.
It cured what was wrong with me, and did not impair my fertility in any way: I had two kids within the next couple of years.

So... as far as procedures go, it's a fairly minor one.
But you need to be aware that what's wrong with you (unlike what was wrong with me) is not serious and requires no treatment.
You need to weigh the inconvenience of bleeding a bit after intercourse against the discomfort of having this procedure.
You also need to explore with your doctor whether there are less invasive ways of clearing up your cervical erosion, if it bothers you that much.
I've heard some women have used progesterone cream to good effect; for others, stopping the pill or switching to a different form of contraception is all it takes.

Anyway, weigh your options carefully. Good luck!

Last edited by Kali333; 05-02-2011 at 04:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
darrrkerv1sit0r (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
cervix, cryocautery, frozen cervix, sexual intercourse