It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

MY21 HB User
Post Hymenectomy

There is not too many stories on girls who have had hymenectomies that can be found on the internet, so I thought I would post my story.

I had a hymenectomy a year ago. Prior to the hymenectomy I was a virgin, and could not even use tampons. Trying to get anything up there hurt very bad. When I first started my period I had tried a tampon, and it got stuck and was extremely painful to remove. So I lived through my teenage years using only pads. I was with a guy for two years, unable to have sex, and that is when I finally decided I needed to do something about my situation.

I had never heard of a hymenectomy before speaking with the OBGYN. I thought it was something very rare, and kind of embarrassing to talk about or try to explain to others. I went in for the procedure, I got fully put under. I woke up, and the nurse said that I was in surgery for about an hour and they cut and stitched 10 cuts. I didnt feel pain when I woke up. However, in order to be released from the hospital I had to go pee in a pan so the nurses could determine that everything was functioning as it should. I was on constant I.V. and drinking like crazy so that I could get home and rest as soon as possible (I had to go in to work the next day. I was told it was a very 'small' procedure).

After 7 hours, no matter how hard I tried, I still could not pee. My bladder was huge because of the I.V and fluids trapped inside me, so the nurse ordered a catheter (which was extremely painful). After the catheter, I STILL was expected to go pee on my own. After a few more hours, I still could not.

Turns out, everything was so swollen down there and the gauze packed inside of me had closed everything up, making it impossible to go pee. By this time (hours and hours after the surgery), the pain killers were wearing off and the gauze had been in there for a while. The nurses pulled out (what seemed to be) atleast 6 feet of gauze that was packed inside of me! It was painful, but I was immediately able to go pee and was released shortly after.
(relief!)

It took a couple of weeks to fully heal. I walked funny for the first week or two, and the bleeding was pretty constant. I was also told to keep constant tampons in so that the hymen wouldnt "heal back up".

I am now able to use tampons and have sex without pain, and although it was a long and painful experience, it was definitely worth it. I also have come to find out it is not as rare as it seems, and women shouldn't feel embarrassed to talk about it and share their stories, so that other women can know what to expect when going in for a hymenectomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

alexhasdimples HB User
Re: Hymenectomy

Just like the post before me, I wanted to share my experience with my hymenectomy because I could not find too much information on the internet about it before my procedure.
I had had issues with my hymen for about 6 years. It began when I was a freshman in college, I was taking out my tampon and it wasn't coming out. I tried pulling harder, but the more i tugged, the more painful it was. I will admit, i was horrified! I had my boyfriend at the time help me out, he unhooked the piece of tissue (hymen) from the tampon and then it was fine. I was still horrified and told my gyneocologist about it. I had done research and told her i thought it was my hymen. She took a look around had another routine appointment with that doctor. I thought the appointment went really well and really quick, no issues, awesome! The next day I was with my boyfriend and I noticed that the sex was really hurting me. This had never happened before, so i told him that i was probably just sore from my appointment. however we tried a couple times after that, and I was in so much pain, i did not want him anywhere near me, no sex until i have figured out what the problem is!
So i decided to look in the mirror to see if there was anything there that could be causing the pain...and there was. I had never seen this there, it looked like an extra piece of skin or something coming out of my vagina. I was freaked out, i recalled seeing my hymen years ago, but this looked more pink and like skin...I figured this is what was causing the pain. I went to see my doctor and she took a look at it and said "ok is this what you're talking about? it's a skin tag, your hymen". And she said since it was bothering me, I could undergo a hymenectomy. She gave me two options, we could either do it in the O.R. or in her office under narcotics. I chose the latter because it just seemed easier than having to go throught the whole pre-op routine. So the day of the surgery came, I had to take some meds before the procedure, valium and percocet. she did numb the area with a needle, and i'll admit, i'm terrified of needles, but i barely felt this, it was just a little pinch. I told her I didn't want her telling me what she was doing, i didn't want to know when and what she was cutting...just let me know when it's over! I couldnt really feel anything, just a little tugging here and there, she let me know when "it was out". She added three stitches, they are supposed to dissolve on their own and if there are any complications, i will let her know. all in all, it went much smoothly than i thought it would. i wasn't in a lot of pain after the procedure and she said recovery is real quick, but to hold off on sex for about 3 weeks to avoid any damage or infection. I'm hoping this will solve my issues! Looking forward to painless sex and the ability to wear tampons again! hope this information helped :-)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

22RA HB User

I just had a hymenectomy (2 days ago) and also wanted to share my experience. It was difficult for me to find useful information on the internet regarding hymenectomies, and the stories I did read were not that similar to my experience.

Just a bit of background, I'm 22 years old and have never been able to wear a tampon. Every time I had my period, I'd try to put one in, but it literally felt like a brick wall blocking the entrance to my vagina. I tried using a mirror to figure out where the entrance was, and I literally could not find it. I did get my period, but it lasted on average 7-10 days, and it was never a heavy flow. I began to develop anxiety over putting a tampon in. My friends all suggested I try to stretch out the area with my finger, which I tried but there was no obvious entrance hole.
I was hospitalized for extreme cramping 2 months ago, and that's when I decided to overcome my anxiety and go to the OBGYN doctor. After informing her of my troubles with tampons, she checked me out and told me I had 2 small holes that only a Q-tip could fit through, and I would need surgery to remove my hymen if I ever wanted to wear a tampon or be sexually active. I was oddly relieved, I had blamed myself for years for not being able to put in a tampon as well as a growing anxiety toward sexual intimacy, only to discover i was not at fault. I was then scheduled for a hymenectomy.
Before surgery, I was not allowed to eat or drink after midnight the night before. I arrived at the hospital 1 1/2 hrs before surgery, where they did a blood pressure check, a urine test, and took my temp to make sure I was stable for surgery. The anesthesiologist and doctor went over everything with me, and all the nurses were amazing at making me feel as comfortable as possible by answering any questions I had.
I was given the anesthesia right before being wheeled into the OR. It was immediately relaxing, and all I remember was the lights in the OR before passing out. Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room. The nurse told me they were all done, and I couldn't believe it. I felt zero pain. The only distinct feeling I had was feeling like I really had to go to the bathroom. They gave me pop and some crackers, and I went to the bathroom within 10 minutes of waking up. Unlike some of the other stories I read online, I had no pain with urination. I was cautious while wiping, but I honestly felt no pain. There was a little bleeding, as was to be expected, but only a tiny tiny bit. The doctors said they didn't even need to use stitches, and I hardly lost any blood during the surgery.

I was released from the hospital 45 minutes after surgery, and was feeling great. It didn't hurt to walk, and I was back to normal immediately. I did get my period yesterday, so besides the normal cramps, I have not experienced any pain associated with the surgery.

I hope this helps. I HIGHLY recommend a hymenectomy if you are considering one, just make sure you trust your doctor and feel comfortable with him/her.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

Maryannie111 HB User

Thank you for posting this information! I have been worried about my hymen in the place of the entrance for a long time. I wasnt able to have sex, so very sexually driven bf in my life does not want to continue seeing me. I am very relieved to know that a surgery could correct the problem. Thank you ladies for sharing.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

vanillacupcakes HB User
Smile Re: Hymenectomy

I also have recently had a hymenectomy.

had a similar experience to some of the other people who have posted. I had never successfully used tampons, thought that I was just dumb and couldn't work out where they were meant to go. at the age of 25 some friends were talking to me and suggested that I try to insert fingers while in the shower, I didn't know where there was a hole for them to be inserted into either... much exploration, and looking at diagrams, made me realise that maybe I actually had a physical problem.

My periods have always been what I consider normal... since i was 12, about 5 days of bleeding, generally not to bad pain. NO need for prescription medication anyway, just some paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Anyway, eventually got brave enough to get checked out by a GP and referred to a gynaecologist and had the hymenectomy. Simple procedure where they cut and X into the hymen, and stitch back the four 'flaps'. The surgeon said that she could find no perforation (holes) in my hymen and was amazed that somehow I had been getting my period all this time. I Felt amazing after the procedure, wanted to pee as soon as I woke up so that I could get out of there. Eventually they let me into recovery, gave me my juice and sandwiches and let me go pee. Then I was free to go. Currently I'm still a bit sore when I plonk myself down somewhere or forget that I'm meant to be healing and start climbing fences and running around... Really itchy at the moment too!

So my story isn't over yet... But I think that it will be worth it. 13 years of not being able to wear tampons. I'm excited to have that option.

It was such a relief to find out that I actually had a physical problem, and that I was actually different to most of my friends, not that I was just an idiot and couldn't work out how to put a tampon in! (and it's exciting to get it sorted out now, rather than to have to deal with it one day when I get married! Oh the poor girls back in the old days who would have had this problem- ouch!)

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

choffman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryannie111 View Post
Thank you for posting this information! I have been worried about my hymen in the place of the entrance for a long time. I wasnt able to have sex, so very sexually driven bf in my life does not want to continue seeing me. I am very relieved to know that a surgery could correct the problem. Thank you ladies for sharing.

I just wanted to say that if your boyfriend is leaving you because you are unable to have sex then he is not worth having in your life. You should want someone who cares about you more than he cares about getting sex from you. Hope this helps. Yes, I need a hymenectomy too but don't have insurance and can't afford to pay for one.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
(female)

allipq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22RA View Post
Just a bit of background, I'm 22 years old and have never been able to wear a tampon. Every time I had my period, I'd try to put one in, but it literally felt like a brick wall blocking the entrance to my vagina. I tried using a mirror to figure out where the entrance was, and I literally could not find it. I did get my period, but it lasted on average 7-10 days, and it was never a heavy flow. I began to develop anxiety over putting a tampon in. My friends all suggested I try to stretch out the area with my finger, which I tried but there was no obvious entrance hole... I decided to overcome my anxiety and go to the OBGYN doctor. After informing her of my troubles with tampons, she checked me out and told me I had 2 small holes that only a Q-tip could fit through, and I would need surgery to remove my hymen if I ever wanted to wear a tampon or be sexually active. I was oddly relieved, I had blamed myself for years for not being able to put in a tampon as well as a growing anxiety toward sexual intimacy, only to discover I was not at fault.
Thank you, THANK YOU for sharing. I am in the exact same situation (age, thoughts and everything, so strange!) and this was very encouraging to read! I will be having my procedure this month and with my job cannot afford to be recovering for more than a day or two, so I'm praying things work out with my situation the way they did for yours. Thanks again!

Closed Thread