It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
sex after hysterectomy problems

I had hysterectomy last December. I just had sex for the 2nd time and it's well, nothing. I know part of it is hormonal as I'm in full menopause. 2nd, I just had major back surgery, a double lumbar fusion, but what I am wondering is will I be able to enjoy it again? I miss feeling good in general, esp with sex though, I mean, no orgasmic feelings at all, nothing, and before I used to always.

Thanks for anyone sharing or advice hopefully.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

miss345 HB User
Re: sex after hysterectomy problems

If you have not had sex but two times since last December, then you must be out of practice...As far as back problems, I live with them...The herniated disc is the worst, but so goes life...

IMO, sex is a mind game...You think you will have fun and you do...If you think it will be a drag, then you tolerate...What and who you were before you had this surgery is the same woman who you are now...Maybe near a year older, but just as good...Your problem is doubting yourself...Do that and you are losing your passion to start...

I am tempted to do some blogging here on this site on many subjects...This will be one of them...I feel with age and the experience of life that now we women are as good as it gets.....Take care...ILD....

The Following User Says Thank You to miss345 For This Useful Post:
RyansMom39 (01-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

RyansMom39 HB User

Thanks ILD! this was one of my worries...I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy on Jan. 21st...kinda freaked at the moment

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

miss345 HB User

Don't be scared...After a few days you will feel wonderful....Be sure and get your rest as this is important...I (and especially my husband) have never had any regret....IMO, both aging and after Menopause (Hysterectomies included) has been the best time in our life...No more PMS and tension...Kind of like going back to early dating time and getting to know each other again...

Good luck and if you have time let us know how it goes...My best to you...ILD....

Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Yeah, I get what you mean as for being out of practice, but I just had metal rods and screws put into my lumbar spine so I've got good reason to be afraid.
My PT just gave me a booklet though all about how to have sex after this surgery, so I have some reading to do!
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
(female)

Kell998 HB User

I also had a complete hysterectomy in 2007. I have also had major changes related to sex such as severe vaginal dryness, loss of clitorious sensation, no sex drive and unable to be aroused. I have been on several different hormones over the years and have searched endless hours for a resolution. Thinking this would be mylife. I felt like i was letting my husband down and just didnt feel like a whole women. Then I discovered and tried the the following supplements; GINKGO BILOBA 120mg to increase sexual arousal, BLACK COHOSH 540mg for reduced vaginal dryness and hot flashes GINSENG 100mg increase libido, DAMIANA to increase clitorious sensation. After just one week of taking all of them have worked. I now am getting aroused easier, no more dryness which means no more painful sex, I am getting more sensative on my clitourious and i actually want to have sex and think about it again. Oh and it has also help alot with my hot flashes. I really hoped this has helped some of you ladies and men with your wifes. I know how hard it is and the strain it puts on a relationship. Good luck and god bless. Just keep your head up and don't give up

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
(female)

Kell998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinmom572 View Post
Yeah, I get what you mean as for being out of practice, but I just had metal rods and screws put into my lumbar spine so I've got good reason to be afraid.
My PT just gave me a booklet though all about how to have sex after this surgery, so I have some reading to do!
I also had my L4 and L5 fused with a cage, two rods and 4 screws placed in my back so i know how scary it can be. Just be easy and try to find a comfortable position. I have found putting a pillow under my lumbar region where my pelvic is tilted back helps alot. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Back problems (caused by the hysterectomy) aside, hysterectomy destroyed my sex life - no libido, little to no arousal, and things are pretty much dead in the nether regions. Mind games have not overcome the loss of my sex organs and lack of nerve supply / loss of sensation to what's left. Just as a man's sex organs are key to a fulfilling sex life, so are a woman's.

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
workinmom572 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Yes, hysterectomy has changed everything. If I could go back, I would of kept all my female parts and endured that pain to have the awesome sex we had pre-op. I've yet to find a solution, but now that my back is getting better from my lumbar fusion maybe I can have one less thing to be afraid of. I intend to demand my Dr. give me something, anything to try. This is B.S. my husband does NOT deserve this and neither do I, we are only in our 40's, and now he is having big surgery so Lord knows when we will ever have it again.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

workinmom - I feel the same way. If I had listened to my inner voice, I would have run as fast as I could from my gynecologist. But it was hard to tell myself this doctor I'd known for 20 years was full of crap! The loss of my sex life is one of many losses from this surgery.

Have you tried some vaginal estrogen? There are creams, tablets, and rings but you'll need a prescription. Since it keeps those tissues healthy, it not only improves elasticity and lubrication but can help sensation. I just got an Rx for Vagifem but haven't tried it yet. I don't have much of a dryness problem since my (systemic) HRT pretty much takes care of that area but I figure it's worth a try to get some sensation (and maybe even some libido) back.

Hope you find something that works for you and if you do, please share!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
(female)

Arleeda HB UserArleeda HB UserArleeda HB User

Did you have your ovaries removed as well? Ovaries make about half the testosterone, or sex drive hormone, that women produce, even after menopause when they quit making estrogen. If you are open to hormone replacement, you might try a pill called Estratest, which combines estrogen and testosterone. The half-strength is usually enough, and one minor side effect is skin breakouts like in adolescence. When I took it years ago, I took Premarin daily and 1/2 strength Estratest every other day. It worked well 12 years ago--but now that my demented husband has decided to reignite our sex life, I really don't want to start again!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
(female)

Estrogen helps with the lubrication, but not the libido. For that a tiny bit of testosterone is very important. The adrenal glands make some, but for me it wasn't enough to make up for what the ovaries had produced (even after menopause ovaries continue to put out testosterone).

Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Arleeda - What form of testosterone do you use?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
(female)

I used the half strength Estratest, which is combination of esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone. However, it appears that this is no longer manufactured because methyltestosterone is now a controlled substance! The steroid concentration in these pills was very low, I can't imagine that would-be athletes would be stockpiling it! There does seem to be a generic EEMT available by mail order from Canada Generic Choice pharmacy, but there may be some difficulty in getting prescriptions from Canada. I
I discontinued Estratest after my husband had vascular dementia companied by a loss of interest in sex about 7 years ago.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Dumb question but can I insert a ring like that having lost my cervix? Does it only go into the vagina? Thanks so much for clarifying.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread