It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

bombom HB User
Question Generic meds causing no desire for sex?

Hello

I'm a 39yr old female who has had epilepsy for over 37yrs now. So I've been taking meds for I guess you can say 37yrs. I never had any problems with my sex drive before, I mean I've always been a reader, and ever since I reached my teen yrs I've always been a lover of romance books. I mean of course the romance I've read since my teens have escalated just to that, from teen romance to adult romance. Even so I've never had problems getting my heart rate for the romance scense raised. My doctors have always preferred that I take namebrand meds to generic, which I've done over the yrs. Except about a yr ago one of my insurance started giving me problems with helping me pay for two of my meds. So I had to start taking the generic brands, and I felt like ever since then my sex drive has just gone out of wack. I mean it's like the desire, and arousal of even being able to get into the sex scense of the romance books. I do blame the change of my meds for this issue, but when I hear other womens stories, about how their sex drive is down and they don't even take meds it just makes me even more sadder. To think that what if there just might not be no cure period, I mean to me when I would read my books and feel that desire, and arousal. I felt like it would help take off some of my daily stress. Oh by the way I forgot to mention I'm single so I don't have a partner to work with to help me try to cure this situation, and I'm not into the dating scene at the moment. I also have been talking to a phyciatrist,gyno, and phycologist, and so far I've not been able to get the answers, and help that I need. Workinmom I would like to let you know that I agree with you 100% I mean, with all the scientific studies that they have for medicens, and the cure that they've come of with for men to help with their sexual drive. why is it so hard for them to come up with some kinda cure to help us women in our sexual needs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
re: Generic meds causing no desire for sex?

I must once again mention testoterone cream. Another poster also mentioned it. It worked well for me ( I am 60 years old) It's a quick and easy fix if it works . You won't know until you try it. In my case there have been no side effects. If that doesn't help then you can move on ..but if it does help your problem is solved...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

bombom HB User
re: Generic meds causing no desire for sex?

Hello Kathryn!

I think I'm going to give the advice you gave me a try. I had my family doc say that that cream is only for men, but I believe it's better to take the advice from those that actually experienced it first hand, and not have read it from a book. Again thanks, I appreciate the input.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Generic meds causing no desire for sex?

Yes, I'd talk with your gyno about perimenopause. It could be what's going on. If you are on birth control pills, they can just change to a different one. That's what mine did. It helped tremendously! Now I'm on HRT and wouldn't get off for anything!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your family Doc is not up on women's hormone issues. Is it a man ? (just wondering) Do you have a GYN? Testosterone cream compounded for women is very, very common. Compounded just means that after your levels are checked by an easy blood test your Dr. writes an Rx for the level you need and a pharmacist makes up a cream just for you. My cream comes in a syringe that is marked in mgs. and I'm using 1 mg daily. Only certain pharmacy's offer compounding. I suggest you see a GYN. as your family Dr. will not know how to do this. And a GYN will also know which pharmacy's offer compounding. Good luck..

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
(male)

LonelyMarried HB User

I have a similar problem with my wife of 8 years. I am 49, she is 46. Gradually she has lost all interest in sex, giving or receiving oral sex, kissing, foreplay, touching, hugging, making out, any and all physical intimacy.

she has said it's because of her depression meds, (wellbutrin) but she has also told me its because shes stressed out at work, also told me its menopause therefore there's nothing she can do about it, she's also told me its because shes stressed out about life changes we've been through a number of years ago, i.e. changing jobs, moving etc.. and she once actually told me it's because she doesnt find me attractive anymore, then she immmediately took it back..

i need and want sex, affection, etc.. no matter if i'm stressed out or not, in fact that would help me

Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Everything you've mentioned about your wife can totally affect her sex drive. She may want to have her testosterone levels checked. On the other hand an understanding husband who is willing to help her out when needed with kids ,chores, etc . may help with her stress and exhaustion. Also wooing her with flowers and a night out may help.Or just a hug with no sex involved ,but just a reassuring hug. If it's possible for you, don't nag her for sex,after awhile she may begin to wonder what is going on and she may initiate it herself. I don't know if any of this will help you ,but I'm just giving you a woman's point of view.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
(male)

LonelyMarried HB User

thanks for your opinion, i have been trying that soft approach to things and the best i can hope for is that it slowly move in very small increments towards what i want a little bit.

She travels for work so that leaves me only able to work part time, so someone can be home to take care of our 7 yo daughter, taking her to activities, taking care of the house and chores i already do more than 50% of it all.house work, kids, school, pick-up drop off, I hear what you're saying i know all of those things can affect her desire. I am trying, it just seems we are so different. i am trying, but very much losing hope that it will ever be intimate, satisfying, passionate, or mutual.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You do sound like a pretty good husband. All I can say is if you love her hang in there. I'm 60 years old and have only enjoyed sex for the last 2 years or so.My husband says it was worth the wait. Hope it works out for you. Maybe marriage counseling?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
(female)

lar17 HB User

Hi!

First of all I would like to thank all of you for all of your advice. Then I'd like to let you, lonelyMarried know that I really am sorry that you're going through this situation. I agree with Kathryn 100%, and it sounds like you're really giving it your best. As a woman we love to be woed, if you say that she travels a lot due to her job. Maybe every now, and then when you know it's time for her to come in from her travel. Find a baby sitter, for ya'lls child, and set the table up in a special way, make her a special dinner. Then buy a bottle of whine, so that when she gets home you can show her just how much she means to you. If you can get a baby sitter that's a family member, all the better. Then you two can have all night to yourselves. I'm not saying to do this every time she comes home from her work of travel, because then she's going to expect you to do it all the time. So let me tell you, you can only do so much to please a person. If her feelings don't change after all the effort that you try to put into ya'lls relationship. Then she's the one that has a problem not you. Good luck, and God! Bless!

Closed Thread