It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Women Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

cattt HB User
can the yeast infection test also diagnose other infections?

so my boyfriend and I tried having sex for the first time about two weeks ago. Afterwards I started getting all the symptoms of a yeast infection including the cottage cheese discharge (TMI sorry). After about 5 days the symptoms went away on their own but I still scheduled an appointment just in case. She swabbed me and then told me to take monistat before she even got the test back. So I took it for two days and had weird side effects including an itchy bump inside my vagina, so I called the pharmacy and they said to stop taking it. I stopped 6 days ago and I pretty much haven't had ANY symptoms since. Until today, I masturbated (TMI again sorry) and afterwards I caught a whiff and it smelled slightly fishy. Not much, but very slightly. I smelled my underwear (which was really awkward) and my discharge itself smelled normal, it was just the aftermath that smelled a little fishy.
So my question is, what could this be? And if it were something else like BV would the swab be able to diagnose that? I emailed my doctor for the results so she should be getting back to me sometime this week. Advice would be VERY much appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: can the yeast infection test also diagnose other infections?

No BV won't show up on a yeast culture. Do you know if she did a "wet prep" for yeast or a culture? If she did a wet prep, BV and trichomonas can show up on that as well as yeast. But a yeast culture is only for yeast, nothing else. If the smell persists, I would go back for another check so it can be treated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

It sounds a lot like bv. yeast can have barely any smell or it might smell yeasty. Bv can smell fishy or just like a bad odor and it's really common to get it when you start having sex with someone knew. It's not sexually transmitted and men don't catch it so it's not really understood why a new male partner can trigger it but it's a well known factor in getting it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

cattt HB User

thank you both for your replies. I haven't heard back from my doctor yet, but once I do I'm probably going to schedule another appointment to get tested for BV. It's just weird because my discharge itself smells 100% normal like it always does, NO fishy smell at all. It was only after finishing did I smell it slightly. Maybe I have a mild case of it? Are there any ways I can treat this naturally?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

hi catt, to treat it yourself you can use a vaginal acidifier and these are over the counter products that restore the ph in the vagina back to slightly acidic, they usually come as a pessary or a gel which you use for around a week. I don't know where you live but there are some that use natural acids in my country.

Then take some probiotics like femdophilus (you can use these vaginally as well) and that restores things down there so the bacteria can't thrive and things go back to being balanced. Even if you had yeast this would still help things. You can also do Hydrogen peroxide douches (peroxide is produced naturally in the vag) but unless it's bad your probably don't need to do that

Last edited by captjane; 07-10-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
(female)

cattt HB User

surprisingly, all of my symptoms are gone. i also got the test results back and they came out negative, so i have no idea what it was, but thank you guys for your help! if the symptoms return, i will definitely try out those remedies! thank you

Reply Reply

Tags
bacterial vaginosis (bv), candida, yeast infection