It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Veteran

ana_24 HB User
What STDs can cause itching?

I think I have a yeast infection but the treatment I have been on isn't really helping a whole lot. My doctor gave me something else to take and she said if this doesn't work, I have to come in for swabbing as I may have an STD. The only symptom I have is low to moderate itching. She freaked me out a little with that STD statement and now I'm wondering, what STDs could result in itchiness without any other visible symptoms? I've been with the same partner for about 6 months now and we both got tested for STDs before we started having sex without condoms.
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2004, 06:56 PM   #2

wbcfan HB User
Re: What STDs can cause itching?

I guess the question i would be asking my Dr. is why is she diagnosing a yeast infection without taking a swab?? That would seem to be common practice, as there are many things that can cause vaginal itching and a swab is the only way to make a definite diagnosis. Some of the list are: yeast(normally itching and inflammation with thick clumpy discharge, although there can also be no discharge), trich (greenish frothy discharge and itching), BV bacterial vaginosis, (grey discharge, foul odor, can be itching), and chlamydia, (vaginal irritation, white or clear thin discharge and possible irritation itching), and vaginosis or vaginal irritation from chemicals, soap, bubble baths, allergic reaction to spermacides, etc. The TRUE std in this group is chlamydia. Sexually transmittable (NOT TRUE STD) would be trich or possibly BV. Both have been proven to be transmitted non sexually and in most cases are not notifiable std's. Less likely to be seually transmitted is yeast infection. And the last one vaginosis is of course NOT sexually transmitted. So in a nut shell, without a swab being done, you cannot know exactly what it is that is causing the problem. Although yeast is likely, just because it doesn't go away after one treatment does not mean that it is not yeast. Many women have stubborn yeast infections that after the discharge goes away, if there was any origionally, it may take some time for the irritation, itching, inflammation to settle after. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
Veteran

ana_24 HB User

I have had a yeast infection about a year ago and I told her the symptoms are the same minus the discharge. I have had NO discharge at all and no odour of any kind. She did say she will give me the Diflucan pill but if it doesn't go away in the next few days she wants me to come in for a swab as to quote her, "it may be an STD". She knows I am very busy and find it hard to keep a daytime appointment. Given the fact that both my boyfriend and I have been tested for a number of things are are exclusive (100%), chances are it couldn't be chlamydia or some of the other things. I suppose it could be BV however I've had no discharge or odour. It seems anyway that the symptoms are now almost completely gone so it probably was an yeast infection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If anything new develops I will certainly be going to see my doctor immediately. Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

sometimes just taking a good probiotic can really help the balance of things. i was on some heavy duty antibiotics for a while and although i did not get a yeast infection then, i started to get one a month after and it just lingered around. it really scared me too because of the things that can go along with that, such as a poor immune system and possibly other STD's. i am married with a baby and i just couldn't swallow that i may have an STD. i even asked my husband about it, but felt pretty dumb afterwards. i had an IUD at the time so i got that removed and did all the stuff, incuding diflucan. i am happy to say that it is all better now. the diflucan helped in 24 hours, but it still took some time to clear up. ~~~moral of the story is that don't think the worst! it was not an STD or anyother nasty, just my body trying to regulate itself. maybe you are allergic to something or you need a probiotic. good luck hun, keep in touch.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran

ana_24 HB User

Thanks Nyxin.. I think us women tend to always overreact and think the worst. It's just one of those fears that you can't shake. An STD could change a life for ever and have serious complications. Really I should just become a nun so I never have to worry about it.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

your welcome, and believe me i have felt that way too, the nun thing that is, but you don't need to feel overwhelmed. some STD's can lie dormant for years, even a decade so even if it is, which i really doubt, it ain't gonna kill ya, and i bet it can be easily fixed. i bet it is an irritant of some sort and the doc will get you fixed up. try cortizone 10, that really helped me with the irritation. best of luck, it's a nothing thing that will be long gone soon i am sure.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #7

inspirations HB User

I have yeast infections all the time. Always w/ no discharge, just inflammation and itching. I always get them when I am on antibiotics, which is not uncommon. Have you been on antibiotics for anything lately? If so, then it is definitly a yeast infection. (I would assume.) As I said I get them a lot (UGH!) but I have found that Diflucan is my wonder drug. I always have relief within 24 hours of taking it. So it should help, because it really doesn't sound like an STD. Good luck, but I'm sure its nothing. And even if it is an STD it sounds like it would be bacterial, which means chlamydia or gonnorhea, both are easily taken care of with a single pill. Unfortunately I contracted gonnorhea awhile back (Trust me I thought it was the end of the world!) and it was taken care of with one pill. No biggie.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran

ana_24 HB User

It does appear that Diflucan took care of the problem. I love that drug! Within 24 hours the symptoms were almost entirely gone. Now it seems that when I pee, there is a little bit of pain. Not even pain.. it's hard to describe but like it's sensitive. I wonder if there is something going on with my urinary tract. I swear, I'm not a hypochondriac! lol... I'm not imagining things

Closed Thread