It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 04:46 PM   #1

tanbp HB User
STD's and a CBC

Does anybody here know if a CBC would pick up an infection like Gonorreaha? I know it would tell specifically, but was wondering if the infection throws off the blood count.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #2

kajajha HB User
Re: STD's and a CBC

Hello Tan!
A CBC would not pick up gonorrhea. They only check for cell counts of normal blood components (white blood cells, red, platelets etc.) A serious illness (like acute apendicitis or the like) might noticeably increase white blood cell count enough for the doctors to worry, but not something like gonorrhea. You have to ask for a seperate test.
Good Luck!
Kaja

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 06:53 AM   #3

Weeping Willow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajajha
Hello Tan!
A CBC would not pick up gonorrhea. They only check for cell counts of normal blood components (white blood cells, red, platelets etc.) A serious illness (like acute apendicitis or the like) might noticeably increase white blood cell count enough for the doctors to worry, but not something like gonorrhea. You have to ask for a seperate test.
Good Luck!
Kaja
I know a CBC will pick up indicators for certain STD's that are caused by bacteria. I can't remember how it goes, but high segs and low lymphocytes or vice versa is an indicator of a bacterial infection.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeping Willow
I know a CBC will pick up indicators for certain STD's that are caused by bacteria. I can't remember how it goes, but high segs and low lymphocytes or vice versa is an indicator of a bacterial infection.
A high white cell count MIGHT indicate there is some kind of underyling infection (or it might indicate leukemia...lotsa variables!). Infection could be viral or bacterial. Trouble is, there are all kinds of bacterial infections (and most aren't STDs). A Sed Rate measures inflammation levels and is often used to determine whether arthritis is present.

Closed Thread