It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #1

Meagon HB User
Unhappy Please Help!!!

My name is meagon and I was diagnosed this morning with Human Papilloma Virus. I also showed dysplasia on my pap test. I this something that I can over come? Am I going to die or get warts? Please help me to understand what is going on with me!

Old 08-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Please Help!!!

Unfortunately, you can't overcome HPV because it's not curable (emotionally you can) - you just have to live with it. There are about 100 different strains out there, classified as high and low risk. The high risk strains are NOT associated with warts, but will cause you to have abnomal paps, identifying pre-cancerous cells. The low risk strains are NOT associated with cancer, but will cause you to have actual warts. If you are infected with the high risk strains, I do recommend that you stay on top of it with regular visits to the gyno or you will eventually die from cervical cancer. With that said, it usually takes anywhere from 7-10 years (depending on your immune system and how well you take care of yourself) for the pre-cancerous cells to develop into full blown cancer. This disease is often referred to as "the common cold of std's" - that's how common it is. 80% of the sexually active population is infected and they don't even know it!!! Don't worry!!! As long as you keep up with the dr's appointments and get the pre-cancer taken care of, you'll be fine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagon
My name is meagon and I was diagnosed this morning with Human Papilloma Virus. I also showed dysplasia on my pap test. I this something that I can over come? Am I going to die or get warts? Please help me to understand what is going on with me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

No, you aren't going to die As long as you are going to the doctor and getting your dysplasia monitored and treated when necessary, you should be fine. Untreated dysplasia leads to invasive cancer 30-50% of the time.

Usually, the strain of HPV that causes cervical dysplasia isn't the same one that causes warts.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 AM   #4
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Kim and Reni are right. You are not going to die but this is something that you do need to stay on top of. Since it is viral it will never go away but it can be treated. It is hard emotionally to deal with HPV. I know, I was diagnosed with cervical HPV this January. So, I know how you feel. If you need someone to talk to just let me know and we can get through this together.

Closed Thread