It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #1

john1122 HB User
genital warts can be cured??!

how many times have i read on here that HPV can not be cured. Do people just say things because they read it here and assume it is fact or is it indeed a fact?

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/news/RevBrochure1pdfhpv.htm

"Genital warts are extremely common, but can be treated and cured."....."Most HPV infections appear to be temporary and are probably cleared up by the body's immune system. One study in college students showed that in 91 percent of women with new HPV infections, HPV became undetectable within two years (Ho, 1998). However, reactivation or reinfection is possible...."

Maybe im missing something, but that pretty clearly says genital warts can be cured.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #2

luv4adonai HB User
Re: genital warts can be cured??!

genital warts is a virus that CAN NOT be cured. the warts can be removed and it can go into remission for years...maybe even forever. i've heard stories about hpv leaving the body after a year of no break outs, but i don't know how true that is. my own doctor has stated very clearly that hpv CAN NOT be cured.

Last edited by luv4adonai; 08-23-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #3

john1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4adonai
genital warts is a virus that CAN NOT be cured. the warts can be removed and it can go into remission for years...maybe even forever. i've heard stories about hpv leaving the body after a year of no break outs, but i don't know how true that is. my own doctor has stated very clearly that hpv CAN NOT be cured.
And my own doctor said and i quote "i'll give you a prescription to get rid of it" leaving me to believe it will be cured. Forget the doctors for a second, did you bother reading the link? From the cdc??? Center for disease control? I would say they trump your doctor, or mine. Doctors dont know everyting there is to know about every disease. And if you actually read my posts you would see that I am not in denial, but I accept it as its not really a big deal anyway.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #4

luv4adonai HB User

read what it's saying..."genital warts can be treated..." i realize i made the mistake of saying "genital warts is a virus that can not be cured"...i meant to say HPV is a virus that can not be cured. yes, warts can be treated, however, warts are a RESULT of hpv...warts are NOT hpv. hpv is what you will have for the rest of your life...not the warts.

Last edited by luv4adonai; 08-23-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #5

luv4adonai HB User

"There is no cure and no vaccine for genital warts. Treatment focuses on removing visible warts. However, even after visible warts are removed, the virus remains in your body and may cause outbreaks again in the future." - source: http://my.*****.com/content/article/8/1680_54222.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E9 0-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Old 08-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #6

john1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4adonai
read what it's saying..."genital warts can be treated..." i realize i made the mistake of saying "genital warts is a virus that can not be cured"...i meant to say HPV is a virus that can not be cured. yes, warts can be treated, however, warts are a RESULT of hpv...warts are NOT hpv. hpv is what you will have for the rest of your life...not the warts.
you conveniently left out the part that said "cured". It doesnt say warts can be treated, it says treated and cured. And it also says "Most HPV infections appear to be temporary and are probably cleared up by the body's immune system". But i did read the link you left, it seems that there is no definative answer one way or another, the 2 links are contradicting. I would still go with the center for disease control over *****, but either way I dont think anybody knows much about it for sure.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #7
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1122
how many times have i read on here that HPV can not be cured. Do people just say things because they read it here and assume it is fact or is it indeed a fact?

One study in college students showed that in 91 percent of women with new HPV infections, HPV became undetectable within two years (Ho, 1998). However, reactivation or reinfection is possible...."

Maybe im missing something, but that pretty clearly says genital warts can be cured.

John, I think you answered yourself....reactivations or reinfection is possible. How do you think that is possible if the virus isn't still there? Yes warts or abnormal cell growths can be removed but the virus is still there. It will always be there forever. Even if the body shows no signs of infection, it is still there. Your body's immune system does supress it but it can come back. There is no cure for HPV, it can only be removed. As true as I wish there was a cure there is none.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
And my own doctor said and i quote "i'll give you a prescription to get rid of it" leaving me to believe it will be cured. Forget the doctors for a second, did you bother reading the link? From the cdc??? Center for disease control? I would say they trump your doctor, or mine. Doctors dont know everyting there is to know about every disease. And if you actually read my posts you would see that I am not in denial, but I accept it as its not really a big deal anyway.

I think you are reading the site wrong. When your doctor said I will give you a perscription to get rid of it...they meant to get rid of the existing warts. I think if you are unsure about this topic you should ask your doctor more questions. Go to my post HPV and Guilt and ask any of the women on there if it is "curable" and if it isn't a big deal. There are over 100 forms of HPV and it is treatable but I am sorry, it is not curable. Read your site from the cdc again really carefully. I'm sure you will see. It also says...."Subclinical HPV infection is much more common than genital warts, and there is currently no treatment."

Last edited by beezkneez; 08-25-2004 at 11:34 PM.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #9

john1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezkneez
I think you are reading the site wrong. When your doctor said I will give you a perscription to get rid of it...they meant to get rid of the existing warts. I think if you are unsure about this topic you should ask your doctor more questions. Go to my post HPV and Guilt and ask any of the women on there if it is "curable" and if it isn't a big deal. There are over 100 forms of HPV and it is treatable but I am sorry, it is not curable. Read your site from the cdc again really carefully. I'm sure you will see. It also says...."Subclinical HPV infection is much more common than genital warts, and there is currently no treatment."
Ok once again something was left out with the quote...read the WHOLE quote,....
"There are 30 distinct types of HPV that can infect the genital area. Of these, some types cause genital warts, and others cause subclinical infections, noted as such because they are invisible or cannot be seen. Genital warts are extremely common, but can be treated and cured. Subclinical HPV infection is much more common than genital warts, and there is currently no treatment.".

Some types cause geintal warts, and OTHERS cause subclinical infections. They are called subclinical because they are invisible or cannot be seen. This means that is 2 different things, genital warts are one type, subclinical are another. It clearly says genital warts can be CURED. And Subclinical cannot. I dont see why everybody is arguing with me on this, it is very clear what it says. Am I the only one who can read? Or comprehend? If you tell me the site is wrong, old information, ok I would believe that. But dont say that the site does'nt say what it does, because it very clearly in no uncertain terms says that genital warts can be CURED, thats a exact quote, wheres the "grey" area there.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #10

john1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezkneez
John, I think you answered yourself....reactivations or reinfection is possible. How do you think that is possible if the virus isn't still there? Yes warts or abnormal cell growths can be removed but the virus is still there. It will always be there forever. Even if the body shows no signs of infection, it is still there. Your body's immune system does supress it but it can come back. There is no cure for HPV, it can only be removed. As true as I wish there was a cure there is none.
by the way, when you made it bold "reactivation or reinfection is possible", you were making my point for me thanks. Notice it says "OR REINFECTION". There can be no such thing as Reinfection if you are always infected, that is only possible if the infection is GONE completely. Then you can be REinfected. It says OR reinfection.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:03 PM   #11

JLB284 HB User

Quote:
by the way, when you made it bold "reactivation or reinfection is possible", you were making my point for me thanks. Notice it says "OR REINFECTION". There can be no such thing as Reinfection if you are always infected, that is only possible if the infection is GONE completely. Then you can be REinfected. It says OR reinfection.
You can get reinfected with ANOTHER STRAIN. So in addition to the first one, which you will always have and can be reactivated, you can get reinfected with another strain.

Last edited by JLB284; 08-26-2004 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #12

john1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB284
You can get reinfected with ANOTHER STRAIN. So in addition to the first one, which you will always have and can be reactivated, you can get reinfected with another strain.

no. REINFECTED, means the SAME strain. RE. RE means again, you cant get REINFECTED with a DIFFERENT strain. The sentence you wrote "....you can get reinfected with another strain" does not make sense. It is imposible to get reinfected with something that you never had in the first place. If that was the case ,and they meant to say another strain, then they would have said "...can be reactivated, or you can get INFECTED with another strain." Not REinfected, because RE, like i said, means you had it in the first place and no longer have it.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:24 AM   #13
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
no. REINFECTED, means the SAME strain. RE. RE means again, you cant get REINFECTED with a DIFFERENT strain. The sentence you wrote "....you can get reinfected with another strain" does not make sense. It is imposible to get reinfected with something that you never had in the first place. If that was the case ,and they meant to say another strain, then they would have said "...can be reactivated, or you can get INFECTED with another strain." Not REinfected, because RE, like i said, means you had it in the first place and no longer have it.

I think that JLB made his point quite clear. I think perhaps you are the only one who isn't reading right and comprehending. HPV or Human Papamillia Virus is the cause for genital warts or these subclinical. The thing you read from the cdc was written in 2000, and it is 2004 so more studies have been done. They are learning more everyday about this virus. HPV is a Virus and as with all virus's such as herpes and aids it can not be cured. Yes medicine or by any other means it can be removed but the virus can always be there since and this is most proven because it can be reactivated or in other words, come back. That is why two sexual partners who have the same strain can not pass it back and forth. However, you can have more than one strain of HPV therefore it is a reinfection. There are over 100 strands of HPV, trust me, I'm in med school and i've already been through this. Alot more research has been done since this is the most common of std's. Medicine can get rid of warts but they can come back or then again they may come back. I'm not on here to argue and I'm not trying to be rude and have people be rude to me but I promise you if you go and ask your doctor if hpv can be cured or if it will remain dormant in the body forever see what they say. I think instead of getting on here and trying to argue defeats the point because to you no one is going to be right. I think you should research this a little better so you know for sure. Perhaps cdc could have stated what they meant wrong or like I said earlier, if the article was written in 2000, I am sure more studies have been done. Just research it yourself if you don't believe anyone here. That is all that I can tell you.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #14

JLB284 HB User

Quote:
Wow, I don't know what to tell you, you obviously don't want to believe you'll have this virus for life. I can get a cold in August. Then I can get reinfected with a cold in September. Not the same strain of cold virus, but a cold nevertheless. Now insert "HPV" in my example. If you don't see the point, I don't see the point in continuing to argue about it. But when your next sexual partner gets HPV from you, see if she believes your theory that you've been cured.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #15
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Exclamation Re: genital warts can be cured??!

WOW, John!!! I'm not sure who you are and I don't care where you got your "credible" info from, but I am an ob/gyn RN and I can tell you right now, that HPV is not curable - only treatable! You cannot "reinfect" yourself with the same strain, only with new strains. Once you have it, you have for life - unless the medical community comes up with a vaccine and I think the vaccine for AIDS takes presidence over that right now. There are over 100 different strains out there, classified as high and low risk. High risk strains are not associated with genital wart but are associated with cervical cellular abnomalities, which if left untreated, will progress to cervical cancer. The low risk strains are not associated with cellualr abnormailites, but will cause you to have actual warts.

HPV is spread through skin-to-skin contact, therefore, condoms do not protect you against this disease and because of that, condom manufactuers are re-designing their labels to reflect that fact! 80% of the sexually active population is infected and don't even know it. This disease is so common, doctor's often refer to it as "the common cold" of STD's. There are no tests available to detect infection. The disease lives in the skin, not in the blood. There are no tests available for men - at all! If a woman is infected with a high risk strain, it will most likely show up in her pap and from there, an HPV DNA Digene test will be performed to see which strain/s she is infected with. If a man is infected with a high risk strain, there is no possible way to test for it, unless a tissue biopsy is performed, but what man do you know of that is going to have his penis biopsied?! If there isn't a visible wart, diagnosis is a negative.

You can walk in to any hospital in the United States and ask any gynecological doctor and they will tell you that it is not curable and any doctor who tells you that it is, needs to have his medical license suspended, pending many more years of common sense & medical school!!!

If you have this disease, you need to start understanding that this is for life - and it's not a joke! If you have unprotected sex with someone because you think you're "cured", you could possible be infecting someone else! PLEASE, do your research, talk to other medical professionals before you think that this is some disease that can be cured with a script.

Last edited by KimRick; 08-27-2004 at 09:52 AM.

Closed Thread