It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

imaginejoy HB User
Question A question about STDs

I'm sorry...i don't want to sound stupid....but I'm just wondering if STDs can just ''develop''....me and my boyfriend have both been tested...(together)...and we are both STD free....if we have sex without a condom is it still ok??....is there going to be anything that we can catch??....

Thanks for your answers

Old 09-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Re: A question about STDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginejoy
I'm sorry...i don't want to sound stupid....but I'm just wondering if STDs can just ''develop''....me and my boyfriend have both been tested...(together)...and we are both STD free....if we have sex without a condom is it still ok??....is there going to be anything that we can catch??....

Thanks for your answers
It's not a stupid question STDs don't just develop out of thin air.. if there is no exposure, there is no STD. I have to say that I doubt you were tested for every single STD out there. Were you really tested for HIV, hepatitis, HPV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, etc? (There is no test for high risk HPV in a man, by the way, so you have no way of knowing if your boyfriend is infected.) Also, you could have been tested too early for some diseases.. not everything gives a positive test result soon after exposure. My answer is yes, you could still catch something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

imaginejoy HB User

well, we were both virgins....I insisted on getting tested just cuz i'm very careful that way...but could there still be something?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Oh, that's different. If by virgin you mean no sexual contact with anyone, then there isn't too much to worry about in terms of STDs. Some exceptions would be if one of you had a cold sore on your mouth, you could give your partner genital herpes through oral sex... or if one of you was an IV drug user you could contract HIV or hepatitis.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can never be 100% sure of your partner.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

In your situation, where you are both virgins and both tested negative for everything (assuming you were actually tested for everything), you are probably safe. The only think I could think of is if one of you is infected orallywith herpes type 1 (herpes causes coldsores on the mouth), it can be spread to a partners genitals during oral sex. Most doctors do not test for herpes type 1 because it is assumed that it will be positive, since by the time a person reaches 14 years of age, there is an 80% chance they already have it orally, and the percentage only goes up with age. Most people contract it while they are children through non-sexual means, such as an infected relative kissing them, etc. It is not considered an STD if it is located on the mouth, but it is considered an STD if located on the genitals. Only about 20% of those infected with herpes ever show syptoms.

Closed Thread