It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
(male)

jlove70 HB User
Being a carrier with a neg. test result?

What all std's can you be a carrier of and have a negative blood test result with? Someone told me you can be a carrier, and not know it cause the test is negative. I just thought people didn't know cause they don't have any signs, not that the test doesn't show it. Thank you for any help.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

Heavensent102 HB User
Re: Being a carrier with a neg. test result?

well
I'll give you an example
HIV.... some people can contract the virus be a carrier and not actualy go through having hiv or aids... this is being they do not have a genitic strand in their DNA that the virus can leech on to. I was told it is very rare ... and if anyone else knows anymore please feel free to correct me or post up a longer explaination... i am not sure how many other stds can do that.... I know you can have them and not have any signs... but i am not sure. anwyays take care
xoxox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #3

LBSB22 HB User

Actually it is very common to have hiv and the test results come up negative. You can have it for up to 10years and it still show negative. That's why doctors say that if you're worried..get tested every 6 months or so...just in case. Also..std's like herpes, gonnorhea, syphillis have the possiblity of not showing up positive right away in a blood test...that's because you're body hasn't developed antibodies to them yet. as for hpv..there is no blood or urine test to tell you if you have it...your doc has to look and see if there are any signs. At least that's what i've been told. I'm not sure of any others, i'm sure there are more. But if you ever worry...just get tested...and then if you're still worried..wait awhile longer and then get tested again..just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I'd be interested to know where you've heard that you can test negative 10 years and still have HIV. From everything I've read, which is extensive and includes most of the "experts" on the virus, it is very rare to take longer than 6 months - a year in the most very rare of instances - for a person to test positive.

You can be a carrier for many STDs and have the blood work test negative if you're in a window period. HIV is 3 months to a year, herpes, syphillis, and gonnorhea are somewhere around 6 weeks, I believe. If you're testing negative for everything say a year after a possible exposure, then you're not carrying anything... except for maybe HPV.

Doctors recommend testing every 6 months if you're not in a monogomous relationship because that's a good time frame for everything, including HIV, to have shown up in your system.

Closed Thread