It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #1

alwysasweetie21 HB User
Unhappy Unprotected sex once....STD????

Ok...I have a friend, who had sex with this guy one night....They had sex twice in one night, and the first time a condom was worn, but the second time it was unprotected.
She is really worried that she could have an STD...since she doesn't know if he is disease free or not....is it possible to get an STD from just one time with a person???......any comments and knowledge on this would be completely appreciated.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
(female)

wild_thang_386 HB User
Re: Unprotected sex once....STD????

all u need is one nite w someone, to catch an STD. she should talk to the guy if possible, look out for any signs or differences on her body, and should get check if she really believes she might of caught something. better to be safe than sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

One time and one instance of contact is all that's necessary to contract and STD. If any fluid was passed between the two then there's a definite chance of an STD if one of the people has one.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

You don't even need fluid to pass between the two people. HPV and herpes are both passed on by skin to skin contact.

The number of times you have unprotected sex, and the number of people you have it with, is going to up the odds of getting an STD, but a woman can get pregnant from "just one time" and anyone get an STD from just one sexual encounter.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

By all means get a test done. They can do it at the same time the pap smear is done. My best friend got HPV from her husband who had been sleeping with this one girl. The girl he had been cheating with already had a hysterectomy from her HPV getting so bad. She ied and said it was her appendex (sp) He had been cheating on his wife for a year with this girl when she found out and left him. She went to the Dr. after getting the quickest appintment and found out that she had HPV in stage 3.She has been in the hospital twice for her HPV. They next time she has to be hospitalized they said she will most probably have do a hysterectomy on her. She can never have anymore childern. Men are carries and 90% of the time are never effected by HPV. They just pass it on to women. Very few men are effected by it. When they are it is not as serious as it is for women.
You may not have it but better safe than sorry. My best friend was a virgin when she married her husband and had only been with him her entire life. Sad I know but now she is married to another who knew about her HPV and still married her. She did not even sleep with him until a week after they were married just incase he changed his mind and wanted out. She did not want to be responsible for ruining his life. They are happy as can be now. Just thought I'd type that too incase anyone out there has it. Life can still be good with HPV.

Jenteal

Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

A majority of sexually active people actually have HPV. Most will not warts, or get cancer or have other problems e.g. requiring a hysterectomy but HPV itself is very, very common, and definitely not the end of the world.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Ok here are the facts I copied for the low down on HPV. This should help answer alot of questions.

There are over 100 different strains of the Human PapillomaVirus, or HPV for short. A microscopic picture of the virus can be seen on the left. Of the 100 strains of HPV, only 30 of them are sexually transmitted. The other 70 strains are responsible for warts on your fingers and toes and cannot be transmitted sexually. Most of the 30 sexually transmitted strains of HPV cause no symptoms at all and are not dangerous. So why should you even care about HPV? Because some of the other strains of HPV can cause genital warts and some can cause cancer.

How is HPV spread?

HPV infects the epithelial cells of the entire genital areas of both men and women, including the vagina, penis, scrotum, cervix, vulva, groin, thigh, and anus. Therefore, you can get HPV just by touching your genitals to the genitals of someone who has it. It is said that HPV is spread by sexual skin-to-skin contact. Warts on other parts of your body, like your hands, are caused by different types of HPV. Contact with these warts does not seem to cause genital warts. Warts may appear within several weeks after sexual contact with an infected person; or they may take months to appear; or they may never appear. This makes it hard for you to know exactly when or from whom you got HPV.
Who gets HPV?

Anybody can get HPV. Since HPV is a sexually transmitted disease, people who engage in risky behaviors are more likely to get HPV than others. Risky behaviors include having unprotected sex, having sex at a young age, and having multiple partners. It is estimated that 20 million people in the United States are currently infected with HPV. An additional 5.5 million people become infected each year. People who have weakened immune systems because of HIV or other immune system suppressing diseases are more likely to get HPV.
Is there a cure for HPV?

There is currently no cure for HPV. However, a vaccine was recently developed for one of the most common cancer-causing strains of HPV. The effectivness of this vaccine is currently being tested.

HPV is a virus and can normally be destroyed by your body's immune system in about two years without taking any medications. A small number of people aren't able to destroy HPV with their immune system and are said to have persistent HPV infections.

Are there treatments for HPV?

There is no treatment for HPV. However, there are treatments for genital warts and cervical cancer, which are caused by HPV.

Can I die from HPV?

Yes, you can. HPV causes 93% of cervical cancer cases. HPV and cervical cancer will kill around 4,000 women in the U.S in 2003. In addition, HPV has recently been linked to other genital cancers like anal, penile and rectal cancer. An unknown number of people will die each year from HPV and these genital cancers as well.

Jenteal

Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

Now now you know better! thats the same as "I didnt think I could get pregnant my first time!!"

Closed Thread