It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User
Dentists need to know?

Since when does a dentist need to know if you have an std? I went to mine yesterday it had been quite some time since i had gone so they had me "update" my info and when i got to the question "have you or do you have an std?" i wanted to check no (i have herpes) but the honest thing to do was check yes.

It didnt ask why std or anything...but any other dentists out there as this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 03:37 AM   #2
(male)

Muscn HB User
Re: Dentists need to know?

Mine also asked that. They even went so far as to ask how long Ive had it (I have hpv).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #3

jshortstuff4 HB User

Piranna65- I know this has nothing to do with your message, but how do you live with herpes, like what is it that you do that makes it less awkward? Can you still have sex without transferring it to your partner? I don't know if I have it, but I am so worried.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
(male)

justinluck HB User

Everyday, dentists must take precautions to protect themselves and other patients from STDs located in the mouth. I read in the paper once about a dentist who didn't change his gloves and he transferred herpes from one patient to another.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

Muscn HB User

jshortstuff4, youre looking too far ahead right now. Dont start worrying about transferring it to your partner or dealing with how to tell a partner. You dont even know if you have anything so youre wasting energy and driving yourself crazy looking too far ahead. I know its easy for me to say since Im not in your shoes, but for now, just try to deal with finding out if you have anything and go from there.

Have you checked to see if theres any clinics in your area?

Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Dentists ask a lot of questions that seem odd, but do have legitimate implications for your oral health.

Of course, it is entirely up to you whether or not you decide to share this info. You are under no obligation to tell your doctor anything you don't want to, but to receive the best possible care, you should probably be completely honest. And don't worry, dentists have to follow confidentiality rules too.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

tictac HB User

The mouth is a part of the body and sometimes people don't realize the connection. Your oral health can have implications on the rest of your body, and vice versa. There are many STD's that exhibit symptoms in the oral cavity. It's not uncommon for a dentist to be the first one to recognize an STD on a person. Dental professionals can best do their job when they know your entire health history. They will respect your confidentiality as much as any other healthcare professional.

Closed Thread