It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question If Gonorrhea & Chlamydia negative, then what does this sound like??

Hi everyone,

I recently wrote a couple of threads about antibiotics I was given for possible Chlamydia, but I ended up waiting to take the meds until I found out my results for sure. The results took an entire week and a half (a week and a half of anxiety!) and today the tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea came back negative. I was not tested by urine; I was tested by the doctor taking a swab of my vaginal fluids. Initially, the reason I went in to be tested is because I had a thick, yellowish discharge that I've never had before. At the time of the testing, I was diagnosed positively for bacterial vaginosis, and given MetroGel, of which I did not finish. Now I am having other symptoms, a week and a half after initially seeing the doctor, that do not seem to point to just bacterial vaginosis. I have urethral pain, BUT NOT when urinating. I have some cramps, but it could be related to the fact that I have an IUD. It seems like I might have a slight yeast infection from the use of the Metrogel, as my vaginal discharge has not been the same since. I also have a mild, itchy/tingly urethral sensation and VERY MILD itching as the beginning of my vaginal canal. Yesterday, my regular doc tested me for a Urinary Tract Infection, and it came back NEGATIVE. What do I do now? I'm planning on making another appointment with the doctor, but should I just take the antibiotics I was given for the possible Chlamydia even though the test came back negative just to be on the safe side? I have a Copper IUD, which puts me at a higher risk for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. I have never heard of BV causing the symptoms I have, and Trich causes lots of itching and I don't match the symptoms for that, I know I don't have Gonorrhea, and I'm thinking that maybe the test for Chlamydia was a false-negative. How common is it to get a false negative result? I asked the nurse on the phone when I received my results about the possibility of a false negative, and she told me that it's pretty rare, and that the test is very accurate. Could a yeast infection cause the urethral pain? Sorry for the million questions, but does anyone have an idea? The anxiety about this is probably a lot worse than the symptoms! This has me so stressed out.
Thanks so much,
Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User
Re: If Gonorrhea & Chlamydia negative, then what does this sound like??

Well, you might very well not have gotten rid of your BV. You didn't complete the treatment, which (getting on my soapbox) not only means that you probably aren't fully cured, but also helps breed antibiotic-resistant strains. So it's important to *finish any antibiotic treatment you ever get* (getting off my soapbox). But in all fairness, though, BV is usually really, really tough to get rid of no matter what you do. In your case, though, particularly since you have an IUD and you're experiencing cramping, I think you should follow up with your doctor sooner rather than later. Untreated BV can lead to PID. You can also have false negative results for chlamydia and gonnorhea, too...

Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi Sparkleflower,
I agree with you that all medication should always be finished completely, but I *had* to stop the MetroGel because it was burning my vagina so badly. It may get rid of BV, but it also kills all of the good bacteria in your vagina, and it left me with quite a yeasty discharge and lots of irritation. I started taking acidophilus orally again, which I know helps get rid of BV, and I also started using acidophilus capsules intervaginally nightly, which seem to be helping somewhat, as well. I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone knows how often there are false negatives when it comes to gonorrhea and chlamydia tests, chlamydia specifically, since my symptoms match that much more. I've done a ton of online searches, and learned that the CDC now recommends a certain kind of test (of course I can't remember what the heck it's called right now) and I know that the laboratory I was tested through used that type of test. Anyway, it's Saturday now, so I guess Monday I'll call the doctor and make another appointment to be sure. I really just *DO NOT* want to infect my boyfriend if I have something. I'm still not going to sleep with him, even though my tests came out negative, because these symptoms are just very unusual. The weird thing is that today my urethral pain doesn't seem to be there, I just have itching at the beginning of my vaginal canal.
Thanks,
Katalina

Old 07-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #4

scarlett_ HB User

The vaginal swab for testing chlamydia is more accurate than the urine test so if the test was negative then you probably don't have it... however, if u feel worried about it get another test taken just to make sure. If that one is negative then you can probably safely say that you do not have chlamydia. Go to a different doctor of u need to, to get tested again, whatever... although if you have BV then it most likely is BV that is causing your symptoms. I know yeast infections are hell...all I have to do is look at an antibiotic and I get one, lol. But do try and perservere with your proper medication. It will be worth it in the end. Get creams... or oral tablets.. or whatever there is for the yeast to control that. I think (but not positive) BV can cause PID so definitely make sure ya get rid of it. I'm not saying you have PID... if you had it it would be excrutiatingly painful and you would certaintly know about it! The itching is probably due to the yeast infection although whenever I get a yeast infection the itching is so intense.

Anyway hope this helps u and u get this stuff sorted out!

Old 07-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Scarlett,
Yeah, I thought that the vaginal swab testing was more accurate. And you know what? Today I have no urethral pain, just generalized vaginal itching, so maybe it is a yeast infection, or maybe I still do have BV. Your post definitely eased my mind a little bit, but I think I'm going to go get tested again through another doctor. I actually just found out that there is another Women's Health Center in my area that is free/low-cost for women without insurance (me). I am not one to get yeast infections normally (well, actually, I have a yeast overgrowth in my intestines, but rarely get vaginal yeast infections) but it's very possible that I have one due to the MetroGel. Anyway, thank you for helping reassure me a little bit, I appreciate it!
~Katalina

Old 07-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #6

scarlett_ HB User

Re testing will ease your mind and you have a right to look after your health. You could have gotten the yeast infection from taking the stuff for the BV. You have to remember stress causes so many symptoms too so hey it could be that either! Let us know how u get on!

Closed Thread