It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question Bacterial Vaginosis and urethral tingling/burning? Doesn't sound likely

Hi everyone,

I wrote a post a few weeks back questioning the accuracy of chlamydia and gonorrhea testing by swab of my vaginal fluids, and I was awaiting my test results before I took any medication. My test results were negative, although the bacterial vaginosis result was positive. It's worth mentioning that I started developing my symptoms two weeks after making the mistake of cheating on my boyfriend. My symptoms were pelvic pain, yellowish discharge, urethral tingling/burning and pain but NOT upon urination, and a bad vaginal odor. It looked as if my discharge was possibly spotted with blood, as well. Now, it's been about a few weeks, and I'm having symptoms again. Last time I was experiencing symptoms, it was right after my menstrual period, and it's the same this time. Right as my period was ending, I started experiencing the same symptoms, and it's the same story now. I never completely treated myself for bv, as the metrogel burned terribly and gave me a horrible yeast infection, which did go away with the use of acidophilus suppositories. I called my doctor about the symptoms I'm still experiencing, and the nurse I spoke to told me that the chlamydia and gonorrea testing is VERY accurate, and not to worry about that, but that I probably just have another bacterial infection. But I have NEVER heard of a bacterial infection causing urethral symptoms, except on one website, which happens to be the CDC's site. But in all of my research, I have never read about anyone with bv having urethral symptoms. I have an appt. in a week with ANOTHER doctor to hopefully get retested, but has anyone experienced urethral issues with bv or heard of anyone who has? I deathly terrified that I did contract Chlamydia or Gonorrhea and that the test was wrong. I should also mention that I have a Copper IUD (Paragard), which I've had for about 5 months now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
(female)

iluveeyore HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis and urethral tingling/burning? Doesn't sound likely

I have recurrent bacterial vagonosis, please PM me, I would like to talk. I am 22 and have had chronic infections since I was 13

Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

YeahImScared HB User

Didn't u just say u had genital warts too... (iloveeuyore)

Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I'm just worried because my symptoms don't sound like what I've read about bacterial vaginosis. I am going to get re-tested, but I really am concerned about the accuracy of the testing I received a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have any input?
Thanks,
Katalina

Old 08-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

STD testing is quite accurate. It is very unlikely that your test results were wrong. But if it would make you feel better, by all means get retested.

Why not just finish treating the BV? If you can't use MetroGel, there are pills available. Once your BV is treated, if your symptoms are gone, you will know that is what it was. If you are still having problems, you can then start looking into other possible causes.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

oakbluffs HB User

try boric acid capsules (capsule filled with boric acid powder, inserted vaginally at night). i had one doctor prescribe the boric acid powder and empty capsules separately and i had to make them up myself. i now have a new doctor and he gave me a prescription for pre-made capsules...the only problem with this method is that there aren't very many pharmacy's around who will pre-make them for you (i live in boston and there are only 2 pharmacy's within a 50 mile radius of my house that will do this).

i had recurrent yeast infections/BV for a year and nothing worked...and i tried everything! the boric acid has completely cleared it up. i started out inserting one capsule a night for a week, and then went down to every other night for two weeks. now, if i start to get symptoms i will use the capsules for a few nights in a row and it does the trick (this happens once every 3 - 4 months). it has worked wonders for me, especially after a very long year of endless treatments that did nothing.

good luck!

Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi Oakbluffs,

So boric acid capsules are effective against both yeast AND bv? Because I RARELY get vaginal yeast infections- the only big yeast infection I've ever had was after using Metrogel. My biggest problem is definitely BV. Acidophilus capsules inserted vaginally used to do the trick and take away my BV very quickly, but ever since my Copper IUD, I can't kick it. It just changed my vaginal environment too much to where acidophilus is only barely effective. If boric acid capsules work for BV, I would absolutely give them a try. I think that I'm going to try that MetroGel once more and use the entire prescription because I'm very concerned, especially having an IUD, that the bacterial infection spread to my uterus, because of the pain I'm experiencing. I think I should use the MetroGel to clear that up, and when I get BV again, which I'm sure I will, start using Boric Acid capsules. Also, I should still use acidophlus capsules nightly, after the MetroGel, I guess. Have you ever heard of BV being this bad, though?
Thanks,
Katalina

Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi analog2000,

That does ease my mind somewhat when you say that STD testing is quite accurate. Basically, the reason I'm so upset is because even though I made a huge mistake, my boyfriend shouldn't suffer for it, as well. I have such immense guilt for what I did in the first place, and really would have a hard time forgiving myself if I gave my boyfriend an STD. I have to say, this really taught me a lesson because I sacrificed a meaninful relationship in my life as well as my physical health, which is already poor. I really have a ton of self-reflection to do

Old 08-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
(female)

oakbluffs HB User

hi solstice,

yes, i do believe boric acid is typically prescribed for BV infections and yes i have heard of out of control cases. maybe you could ask your doctor about it after you finish with your metrogel? i had a similiar experience to yours...i had constant discharge, itching etc and it always seemed like an STD or yeast infection. i always tested neg for both and even though i tested neg for STD's was still put on several rounds of differentantibiotics. these antibiotics caused yeast infections which were cleared up through typical means (diflucan or over the counter and sometimes prescription monistat). once the yeast was no longer there (verified through test results) and i still had the discharge and itching my doc's concluded that i had a strain of BV that just wasn't reacting to anything they gave me, including metrogel. i was eventually prescribed boric acid in the manner i listed in my first post and it finally went away...and if the discharge and itching do come back, which happens every 3/4 months, just 2 - 3 days of boric acid clears it right up. like yourself, i was so scared i had an STD that i was going to pass along to my boyfriend. i too went through a million STD tests over and over to ease my mind! one of the things that boric acid does is evens out the PH level of your vagina (sorry to be so gross) and my doc said this is always a benefit, whether you have BV or not. it is a treatment that has worked out well for me. there is lots of info online and i have found discussion strings on other boards stating varying degrees of success. let me know if you have anymore questions, i know how frustrating it is to have to deal with this.

Last edited by oakbluffs; 08-18-2005 at 04:05 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
(female)

iluveeyore HB User

How did you "make" the pills, that is what I am curious about? I think it is OTC now so I am going to try it, I have chronic bacterial vaginosis

I found this information online

How much is usually taken? Boric acid is available in powder form from a pharmacy, without a prescription. This powder can be packed into an empty gelatin capsule and used as a suppository. For women with vaginitis, some doctors recommend that one such capsule, containing 600 mg of boric acid, be inserted into the vagina each night for two weeks. Some health food stores have suppositories that contain a combination of boric acid and herbs.

Are there any side effects or interactions? Boric acid suppositories should not be used during pregnancy. Boric acid is very toxic when taken internally and should also never be used on open wounds. When boric acid enters the body, it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dermatitis, kidney damage, acute failure of the circulatory system, and even death. In the past, boric acid was used as a topical treatment for infants with diaper rash. However, even in diluted (3%) form it caused significant toxicity and two deaths.4 Therefore, boric acid should not be applied to the skin of infants and small children. In fact, experts in the field have stated, “The minor therapeutic value of this compound, in comparison with its potential as a poison, has led to the general recommendation that it no longer be used as a therapeutic agent.”5 However, in more recent research, no serious side effects were reported when boric acid was used as a treatment for vaginitis.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with boric acid.

Last edited by iluveeyore; 08-19-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I must add my two cents in here. I also had terrible problems with yeast and B/V. The meds for the B/V would cause yeast. It was a vicious cycle nothing worked. I was in misery all the time. Finally a GYN recomeneded the Boric Acid Capsules. Morning and bedtime. It worked great cleared it up within a couple of weeks. I still have problems every few months but I just use the Boric Acid capsules and it clears up very quickly if I start it at the 1st signs of symptoms.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
(female)

oakbluffs HB User

hi iluveeyore,

in order to "make" boric acid capsules yourself you must buy a container of the boric acid powder as well as a box empty gel capsules. some pharmacies and healthfood stores will sell both without a prescription. i live in MA and it is extremely hard for me to find either sold over the counter, which is why i have gotten prescriptions from my doctor. you can also purchase both items on-line. do a google search for 'empty gel caps' or 'empty capsules' and you will see tons of on-line stores. they are really cheap. i have always used size 00. if you can't find the boric acid powder in a store near you, you can also purchase it on-line.

the gel caps are two sided...you just pull one side out of the other so that you have two pieces...scoop the boric acid powder into one half....then you slide the other half onto the full side and you are done.

i use one per night...that worked for me. my doc said he has some patients with more severe cases who use two a night or one in the morning and one at night. i would start out with one a night and see how that goes...if you don't notice a difference try two (i wouldn't do more than two, it can irritate your skin).

Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
(female)

iluveeyore HB User

Quick question, I can find the capsules in my area size "0" but not "00" would this do?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
(female)

oakbluffs HB User

the 0 capsules may be a bit smaller...see how you do with those. if you can't feel a difference you may need to use two at a time, but i think you will be ok with one.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User

Look up trich. I think the whole spelling is trichamonis vaginalis. I'm almost positive that's what you have. Takes Flagyl to get rid of as it is a parasite. You cannot drink with this at all--alcohol that is. Good luck. I found out they don't normally test for this in routine std testing and people get misdx all the time with vaginosis, bacterial infections, yeast, uti's etc.

It causes everything you describe, and it will be gone with Flagyl. No homepathic remedy for these parasites that work. Takes just a wet prep at the gyno's office and they look at it under the microscope and dx you right then. It doesn't cause any long term problems, but both parters need to treat at the same time as to not reinfect one another.

Closed Thread