It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #1

Lucky2323 HB User
Are my Genital Warts not contagious? I have been with three people and haven't spread

I was diagnosed with HPV Genital Warts two years ago, and have had three unprotected sexual partners (who consented) since then. All three have not had any symptoms of genitals warts or HPV, and have all had regular Pap Smears. Is it possible that my strain of Genital Warts is not or no longer contagious or is it just a matter of time before they show signs? Are all strands of HPV cancerous? How do you know if yours is or not? Thanks for all the replies!

Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Are my Genital Warts not contagious? I have been with three people and haven't spread

HPV is highly contagious and yes it can lay dormat. Why would you do that to someone? Yes they could get cancer or the worts. Hopefully they will find out before it's too late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Are my Genital Warts not contagious? I have been with three people and haven't spread

Who told you that you can get rid of it? That is NOT true. ONce you have it, you have it. Plus he's saying that they do not have it. I have it and I had pre cancerous cells which I had to have a LEEP to get rid of them but it can easily come back. So no you can not get rid of it for ever.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

You guys need to do some research. HPV is a transient virus. Many credible studies say that the body will build an immunity to it normally 6-24 months. After 6 months of being treated and showing no signs of new warts you are VERY likely to not be contagious and be completey clear of the virus. A lot of times ppl will catch another strain of the virus after getting rid of the first strain and attribute it to the original strain. There are reocurring cases but most about 91% of people will get rid of it within 2 yrs. Get treated...protect yourself and your partners and inform them. I have talked to many doctors about this....some are ignorant some know the facts. Gotta remeber when it comes to this virus their is a lot of unclairty. It is most likely that the original poster did pass on the virus but the ppl that recieved it never showed symptoms since only about 5% of the ppl that have it ever show it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:
Switch96 (07-02-2012)
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User
Re: Are my Genital Warts not contagious? I have been with three people and haven't sp

You have a lot of good questions, I will try to go in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2323
Is it possible that my strain of Genital Warts is not or no longer contagious or is it just a matter of time before they show signs?
It could be either, unfortunately, there is no way to know. Recent studies do seem to show that most (90%) people's immune systems will be able to fight off the virus within 18 months; theoretically those people would no longer be contagious. But that does still leave a significant number of people who will continue to have the virus and probably continue to be contagious. But either way, I wouldn't sweat it. These are adult women who made a choice.
Quote:
Are all strands of HPV cancerous? How do you know if yours is or not?
HPV strains are classified as "high" or "low" risk in terms of their ability to cause cancer. These are not absolute terms. Low risk strains can sometimes lead to cancer, but they usually don't. And high risk strains often do lead to cancer, but not always. The only way to tell if your particular strain of the virus is low or high risk would be to have scrapings from an active sore DNA tested. That is pretty expensive and isn't usually done for men.

Quote:
is it possible to spread the virus to someone else and they will never show signs of genital warts? If this is the case how come I was unlucky enough to develop genital warts even though the girl I got it from never had any visible warts when I was seeing her?
Less than 10% of people who contract genital warts will ever have a visible outbreak. Sometimes it has to do with the particular strain you have, or your immune system might be weakened by something, but usually it is just (bad) luck.

Quote:
Is it really possible to get re-infected with different strains on the virus?
Yes, there are about 30 different strains of genital HPV. You can be infected with more than one type.

Quote:
I too have read the statistics that 90% of people do not have re-occuring warts, well how come I keep getting outbreak after outbreak?
It is possible that you are immuno-compromised for some reason, but after all this time, I am sure you would know if that were the case. So the answer is that you just have bad luck. Most people do not keep having outbreaks like you describe. It is also possible that you are being infected with different strains of the virus, yet attribute each outbreak to the original strain. Do you have a lot of different partners?

It must be very difficult for you, but it has to end eventually.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

YEs lucky is is most likely that you did transmit the virus to others and they jsut never showed symptoms. Why you were unlucky just like myself? There really is no explanation for that. The human body is a mystery and trying to explain everything about it in a logical manner can be near impossible at times. I am curious did you ever completey rid yourself of the original outbreak? When you have symptoms it means the virus is active. Unitl you get rid of the symptoms then you have not started to build an immunity to it. Maybe you treated it a little and just did not get all of it so it stayed and contiuned to spread. You see you really got to hammer it until your body gets it undercontrol. I go in every 10-14 days about for cyro treatmetn for the last couple of months and it is slowly but surley knocking them all out. I would suggest a solid treatment, no sex unless it is with the same person who shares the same strain as you...and once they are gone continue to live healthy, eat good, exercise all that crap. It is not the funnest thing in the world to deal with; but you learn a lot about life and gain a new aprreciation and perspective. You can overcome this and put it behind you it just takes some commitment. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Otherwise good luck.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Are my Genital Warts not contagious? I have been with three people and haven't sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher
Who told you that you can get rid of it? That is NOT true. ONce you have it, you have it.
This is misleading. That makes it sound like people never get rid of it. People usually rid themselves of the virus in about 2 years. It's not something you will have for life.

Lucky2323, did you actually sleep with those partners while you had the warts or are you assuming that you still have the virus when you slept with them? (And I'm assuming you no longer have warts. It's a stupid question if you still do...)

Old 09-11-2005, 04:30 AM   #8
(female)

br0wniecrombie HB User

[QUOTE=Thisby]This is misleading. That makes it sound like people never get rid of it. People usually rid themselves of the virus in about 2 years. It's not something you will have for life.

So then if ppl rid the virus themselves in 2 yrs, how is one to know of that? I have had the warts but got them removed last Nov and been clear since but my paps come out normal.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi Lucky, can I ask, did those three girls consent to unprotected sex when you had visible warts on your penis?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0wniecrombie
So then if ppl rid the virus themselves in 2 yrs, how is one to know of that?
That's the problem. The type of testing that would tell you is expensive and not widely available. So there really is no way for the average person to know for sure.

Good luck.

Closed Thread