It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
(female)

pegela HB User
Herpes And Nerve Damage

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GENITAL HERPES IN JUNE AND HAVE HAD NUMBNESS EVER SINCE. IT STARTED OUT WITH VAGINAL AND RECTAL NUMBNESS.I AM UNABLE TO MOVE MY BOWELS WITH OUT LAXATIVES. NONE OF MY DOCTORS HAVE EVER WANTED TO RELATE THIS TO HERPES. AFTER THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF TESTING, I STILL MAINTAIN IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HERPES. I AM WONDERING IF IT (NUMBNESS) WILL EVER GO AWAY COMPLETELY. THE NEUROLOGIST SAYS THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN FROM HERPES, BUT I HAVE FOUND INTERNET EVIDENCE THAT IT DOES. I AM 53 AND FEMALE. ANY INPUT?

Last edited by pegela; 10-30-2005 at 01:51 AM.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User
Re: Herpes And Nerve Damage

This is completely unrelated to herpes. Food moves through your digestive tract by a process called peristalsis - basically involuntary muscle contractions from your esophagus through your intestines. Herpes lives in nerves that do NOT innervate your intestines or have anything to do with this process. Be careful what you read on the internet.

If you haven't already, I think it's important to see a gastroenterologist to discuss other possibilities for your difficulties. In the meantime, how's your diet? Do you eat plenty of fiber, drink plenty of water? You can definitely become dependant on laxatives, which may be causing or exacerbating your problems. You may also want to consider seeing a therapist, to discuss any difficulty you've had accepting your diagnosis of herpes, and to discuss any anxiety/depression you may be feeling otherwise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

I don't really see how the two are related, other than the timing of the onset of the numbness. Have you tried herpes anti-viral treatment to see if that helps? I doubt that it would help your numbness or digestion, and perhaps your symptoms are caused by the stress and emotional anxiety of having caught herpes and not by the disease itself.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

An HSV-2 infection will cause lesions inside the vaginal area and may cause some minimal nerve damage. Numbness is a rare symptom of HSV-2 but is usually short term. I'd wait it out and see what happens.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

pegela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkleflower
This is completely unrelated to herpes. Food moves through your digestive tract by a process called peristalsis - basically involuntary muscle contractions from your esophagus through your intestines. Herpes lives in nerves that do NOT innervate your intestines or have anything to do with this process. Be careful what you read on the internet.

If you haven't already, I think it's important to see a gastroenterologist to discuss other possibilities for your difficulties. In the meantime, how's your diet? Do you eat plenty of fiber, drink plenty of water? You can definitely become dependant on laxatives, which may be causing or exacerbating your problems. You may also want to consider seeing a therapist, to discuss any difficulty you've had accepting your diagnosis of herpes, and to discuss any anxiety/depression you may be feeling otherwise.
thanks for your response. I have seen a gastroenterologist. He even did a colonoscopy. everything checked out normal. The problem is, that ever since the numbness, I have been so constipated, I need the laxative (using aloe) or it feels like there is a mass near or pressing on the rectum. I understand that anxiety over getting the virus could play a factor. It has been devastating to say the least.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegela
feels like there is a mass near or pressing on the rectum.
Have you talked to your doctor about a possible rectocele? That's where the rectum bulges into the vagina, and is basically a result of general pelvic muscle weakness (especially if you've had kids). You might do a search to see if those symptoms resonate for you.

As for the herpes thing, don't feel bad. 25% of the population has genital herpes (including me), and we continue to live healthy, fulfilling and satisfying lives anyway. I think the thing most people have difficulty with is the stigma of having a STD, not the STD itself. If you could contract herpes from sneezing and then touching a doorknob, nobody would even give it a second thought. If you're having frequent outbreaks, ask your doctor to put you on suppressive therapy. But since you describe this diagnosis as "devastating", I think it really would be a good idea to see a counselor, maybe just for a couple of sessions. It really helps to have someone to talk to :-)

Closed Thread