It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

lalu2005 HB User
Red face genital warts or not genital warts?

Hey guys-here's the problem - any feedback or help prolifically appreciated.
a new partner and i went for a sexual health checkup- during the internal/external examination the nurse noticed i had one tiny tiny wart on the outside ov the vagina. Basically she said the examination showed no problems at all and i'm in the clear. internally i was absolutely clear as well.

basically i took treatment for the wart and thought nothing more ov it. i took the treatment for 3 days and then a week and a half later had relations with a new partner. basically although i specifically asked him to use protection he did not.
i didnt tell him before hand that i had had a tiny wart as i genuinely assumed this was just like a wart u get on your hand and because it was a bit embarrassing and it wasnt until the follwing morning after our nite together he saw treatment box and got really worried and sort of angry. he is assuming it is an sti and hes worried hes gonna catch it.
i have never had warts before in or out only on my hands like 8 years ago. i havnt had many partners and the last person i had unprotected sex with was my ex ov 7 years who has never had this sti ever.
i've written to the hospital to get a copy ov my notes to check if i have ever had a history of this.
what do u guys think this is- is it obviously an sti or is there a chance it could be just a wart like u get on yre hand?
is there a way ov telling if u have the sti virus or not? can u take a test to clarify this?
new partner is completely paranoid that he may have caught this and insisted on seeing my clinic notes and tests results and keeps interrogating me hardcore! how can i acertain whether this is an sti or not? i mean if it is then i figure i must have got the virus from my ex whom could be a carrier unbeknown to himself although he's never shown any symptoms of warts.
any help is much appreciated. thankyou thankyou.

Last edited by lalu2005; 11-21-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User
If you had a wart in the genital area then apparently it was a genital wart.

[deleted]

My daughter was married about 4 years ago and got genital warts from her husband...he got them from his ex-wife while he was married to her...(she cheated on him) She was treated (his ex), he was told that he did not have them at that time...but my daughter got them from him..she (my daughter) was treated 4 years ago..he got checked and he did in fact have them...he also had his lasered off. My daughter had not had them return since. she is with someone new...has been for about 3 years and both are fine.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 11-21-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Final warning: DO NOT cut and paste text from other sources.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User
Re: genital warts

Its called HPV and it is an STI...causes genital warts and cervical displaysia...it it the most common thing out thier. Get treated and get informed.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hazel_Eyes HB User

First of all, its possible that the wart on your hand infected your genital region. For instance, if your hand - the area that had the wart rubbed against your vulva - then its very likely that you have spread the infection to other places on your body - in this case, your external genitalia.

Then again, its possible that you have gotten this from your previous partner. There are no tests available in detecting HPV (HumanpapillomaVirus) There are many strains of HPV, some cause no symptoms while others give you warts. Men CAN NOT test for HPV. The only way men can determine if they have been infected with this disease is when warts are present. Another way a man can figure out is when his wife's pap smear is abnormal. If his wife has never been infected with HPV, then all of a sudden her yearly pap-smears come back abnormal - then its most likely his wife caught it off him.

You have to remember, your partner may have had HPV the whole time and he may have never gotten symptoms. He then passed it to you, and you got symptoms. Every one is different and our bodies react differently. Its possible to get infected and carry the disease for YEARS and never show symptoms. This is precisely why HPV is prevalent. Statistics say that HPV is so common you will have it at some point in your life.

You did the right thing. You went to the doctor (and you treated it). You told your boyfriend and you insisted that he wore a condom - its his fault for not listening. What does he want you to do? THINK FOR HIM TOO? You already warned him - but he ignored you and did whatever. If you ask me, he got what he deserved. In case he hasn't noticed, it takes TWO.

Last edited by Hazel_Eyes; 11-22-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel_Eyes
First of all, its possible that the wart on your hand infected your genital region. For instance, if your hand - the area that had the wart rubbed against your vulva - then its very likely that you have spread the infection to other places on your body - in this case, your external genitalia..

This is not correct...HPV is the virus that causes any warts...if you have warts on your hands or on your feet ( HPV types 1 & 2)...then they will not be transmitted to your genitals...types 1 & 2 do not infect the genitals....and the same goes for the types (6 & 11) that commonly infect the genitals... they will not infect the other areas of the body.

Genital warts or dysplasia are the types of HPV that are sexually transmitted. My daughter was pretty young when she contracted genital warts from her husband and we did a lot of reading and research on the subject.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-22-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

lalu2005 HB User

Thank you to all u guys for taking the time to write the comprehensive replies. I think I've now got the drift & almost clocked it! and yeah yre so rite it takes two to tango! And yes I think I must have got it from my ex cause immediately following separation i had an abnormal smear.
So I just wanna ask u then where do I go from here.
Is this correct? That once I'm in the clear with no outbreaks does this mean that i'm ok to have unprotected sex with the same partner i'm with now and he will be at minimal risk - I mean like the latent virus is always gonna be around but if I have unprotected sex with that same partner when I have no outbreaks then is it rare that he could catch it? is he only at major risk when I have an outbreak? But then Im thinkin if I caught it from my ex whom had no outbreaks at all then it is possible without outbreaks to catch the sti! ?? This is giving me a headache!
Also if i have no outbreaks and im totally clear does this mean oral sex is ok and again its rare he could catch it from latent virus?
Again highly appreciate any help and advice. U guys r so cool in helpin me out in becomin more informed. Thankyou thankyou

Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
(female)

lalu2005 HB User

Thank you so much for takin the time to inform me re this. It seems that i have also; like yre daughter; contracted this from an ex. Fortunately the outbreak was very mild. and i've only had this one. I hope I never have an outbreak with lots of them, the thought fills me with horror! What do u think re the message i posted today; only if u have the time; scince u have thoughtfully implemented prolific research and r well read in the subject. Ever thought ov being a lawyer!
Thanks thanx again.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

Lalu2005

My daughter's outbreak was mild and she went to the doctor's immediately...knowing something was not right...she only had that one outbreak...I think she had like 3 small ones...her paps were abnormal too.

She did have a procedure where she had develpoed pre-cancerous cells and had a procedure (I think it was like freezing the area) to remove that too...that was about 4 years ago...has not had a problem since. My daughter is now 31.

Gential warts is much more common than you think...it's just that people don't go around telling each other that they have genital warts. I found out that the band my hubby is in...one of the wives (she was not a wife at that time...got it from an old BF) had them and her previous BF who she was with for about 10 years kept giving them to her...she eventually had abnormal pap smears...then all kinds of problems and a complete hysterectomy at age 32.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
(female)

lalu2005 HB User

Thanx again for the reply. Glad to hear yre daughter is ok now. If u have time what do u think re message i posted earlier tday re message 6?

Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

The warts can cause problems if you have them on yur cervix and you should have a pap smear every 6 months...my daughter still has paps every 6 months.

The warts can return...even after treatment...the virus stays on your skin once you are infected ( that's stinks, I know). You should use condoms every time you have sex...you can pass the virus to your partner during vaginal or anal sex, even when you don't have warts you can see.

The infection can also have a very long incubation period...it can be a long time between the time a person is infected w/ the virus and the time a person notices genital warts.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-23-2005 at 02:38 AM.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

Hi,
Ive Been Married 18 Years And Went To My Gyno For Pelvic Pain, While Doing The Exam He Informed Me I Had Genital Warts.i Thought They Were Hemroids Since I Had Them For About 5 Years And No Other Gyno Ever Mentioned Them. He Informed Me I Had Hpv Abrnomal Paps For Years And Dysplasia. I Had The Surgery To Have Them Removed.not An Enjoyable Experience At All.but I Have Frantically Researched Hpv And It Is Very Prevelant. The Nurse Who Took Care Of Me Had The Same Surgery I Did And She Got It From Her Husband Who Got It Before They Were Married. However It Still Put Me In Total Shock That At 41 And Married 18 Years That I Had This.good Luck And There Is Alot Of Info On Net You Can Share With Your Partner Regarding Hpv And Genital Warts That May Help.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
(female)

alh8071 HB User

If you have had Genital warts, you most likely have HPV. HPV is the most common STD out there. There is no telling who you got it from or how long you have had it. Some people never show any signs of it. For some it can take years for any signs to appear.

I had warts four years ago, got them removed. I haven't had any problems until recently. I had my first abnormal pap smear. This virus is uncurable and will always be present, however if you get your yearly checkups (pap smears) your doctor will be able to control it.

I would def. recommend that you research this virus further.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
(female)

lalu2005 HB User

spoke to a professional and they said it is not so likely i can pass on virus when i have no outbreaks. but i think if i got it from my ex who had no outbreaks then that means outbreaks or no outbreaks the virus is always gonna be there and any unprotected sex will result in the passin on of the virus.
so is yre daughter whose with same partner for 3 years always using protection? i mean like if i have the same partner for a long time surely they will want to have unprotected sometimes.
thanx again for yre advice.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
(female)

lalu2005 HB User

also does that mean oral is always gonna be out of the question.! cause the ever present virus is always remainin latent there.
should i tell any new partner in future this.
what a headache.
thanx everyone for yre advice.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #15
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

Genital warts may develop in the throat or mouth through oral sex, but it is rare...

Using protection (condoms or dams) for oral sex is just as important as using it for genital sex, transmission may still be possible if infected areas are not fully covered by a condom or a dam.

It is a hard thing to tell to a partner..but if the shoe were or the other foot wouldn't you want to know??

I have never ask my daughter if she told her current BF or not about the genital warts...I do believe that they use protection..she does not want a baby!! Maybe I will ask her and let you know!!

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-23-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Closed Thread