It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #1

neZ HB User
warts and h-p-v

Hi,
My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with hpv. Neither her nor I know how she became infected because neither of us have had sex with anyone else. The only other girl I have had sexual relations with (that were limited to oral) was also a virgin at the time. My girlfriend has not even had oral with anyone else. And now she has hpv? This is really baffling us, so I have been thinking: would warts on my fingers (that could be a more docile form of hpv) cause her to become infected with hpv? She has not reported any genital warts and I do not have any either. In fact, whenever I use my fingers during foreplay, I avoid using the fingers without the warts. So, I guess my question is, can my fingers spread HPV to her genitals? Or does this just not happen? I can't even be sure that what I have on my fingers are warts, let alone specifically HPV.

Any insight would be great.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
(male)

azerty123 HB User
Re: warts and h-p-v

No - the strain of HPV that causes warts on the fingers, toes, etc does not infect the genitals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #3

neZ HB User

Really? Can I get some sort of verification other than hear-say?

I don't doubt it - but because of the strangeness of our situation, in how neither of us have any idea how she got HPV in the first place, I want solid proof that it could not have been my fingers...

Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Have either of you had any genital to genital contact with anyone else? (Or the other girl you were with?) All it takes is that skin to skin contact. It doesn't matter if you are a virgin or not.

The type of hpv that causes warts on your fingers does not cause genital warts. And the type of hpv that causes genital warts does not cause warts on your fingers or other body parts.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

If she was diagnosed with HPV because she got an abnormal result on the PAP test, then yes, the warts you have on your hands could do it. The reason? Because ALL warts are HPV. And not all warts have to transmitted sexually, it's just that that's the way GENITAL warts are transmitted. People often forget that there are 2 very different concerns here. Genital warts cause genital warts, but it's all the other strains of HPV that can also cause abnormal PAP test results.

And there are tons of little kids around with warts on their hands and feet (HPV carriers) who certainly didn't get them from having sex, right?

Anyway, all this is based on if you're saying she has HPV from a PAP test, not because she has obvious warts on her genitals, because the other two replies are right in that the strains of warts that infect your hands does not usually reside on the genitals. That would be 2 different strains.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Thisby, you are right in saying that a different strain causes an abnormal pap, but the warts on his hands would have nothing to do with causing an abnormal. It is always spread by genital to genital contact, whether it is low risk (visible warts) or high risk (not visible and causes abnormal paps). I assumed he was talking about visible warts because he thought his girlfriend caught it from the warts on his finger. Yes, all warts are hpv but warts on hands or feet or other body parts are yet another different strain and cannot live in the genitals and vice versa.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 09-02-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #7

neZ HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. Let me clarify sexual history some.

My girlfriend and I were both virgins when we got together. Neither of us have slept with anyone else. She had had no genital-to-genital contact with anyone, while I possibly had genital-to-genital with another girl, maybe 3-5 years ago (but no sex). That particular girl had never had sex or any genital-to-genital contact with anyone else, either.

So, yes, I could have gotten it from old girlfriend, but where did the old girlfriend get it from? And, to clarify further, the old girlfriend has never had a pap test to check to see if she even has HPV.

The current girlfriend had an abnormal pap, but I don't think it has been determined yet which kind of HPV she has (or potentially has).

Again, I guess the question of the day is whether or not my finger warts could have gave her the HPV she has in her genitals.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

neZ, I can honestly that from your reply, I still dont' know if you are saying she has visible warts on her genitals, or has only tested positive for HPV due to an abnormal PAP result. The reason I am asking for the clairification is because I know for a fact that you can have an abnormal PAP result from visible, NON-genital warts. Since the virus is spread by physical contact, it is not necessary for her to have had genital-to-genital contact, it could be hand-to-genital (his, hers, both, self, whatever).

If she is going back to the doctor, have her ask him what could have given this to her.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Kenshin HB User

Nez depends what strain of HPV she has , Im in a seminlar predicament with my girl.Plus HPV can go Dorment for a number of yours without being active so and doesn't normally affect men in any werid way except strain 6-11 which cause genital warts. The High Risk ones like 13 and up normally cause cell abnormality on the cervix which can lead to cancer,does don't cause problems to men unless they are immune system is comprimised(but men can carry the virus). Most likely one of yall had sex with someone a very long time ago and it is just becomming active

Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 AM   #10

neZ HB User

Neither of us have any genital warts - nor does my ex girlfriend.

Yeah, it probably was me and my fingers that have given her HPV - however, there does seem to be some disagreement out there as to whether or not infection genitally is possible this way.

But yes, I think it does depend on the strain. How can my finger-wart strain give her a strain that effects the cervix and not give her any warts at all? Can it just mutate like that?

Also, yes, she just had an abnormal pap smear. Nothing else that we know of, as of yet. She'll be going in next month for additional tests and a colposcopy.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Kenshin HB User

Naw thats still imposssible. they are two different strains. the HPV 13 and up that deals with cervical cancers, are not the same like the ones on your fingers.Do one on your fingers are not sexualy transmitted,look at the web site

Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #12

neZ HB User

Yeah, but we are unaware of what kind of HPV she has - it is likely that she does not have any cervicle cancer, otherwise I think they would rush her to her next test.

What if she actually DID have flat warts that nobody could see? If she had these, then would it be possible for me to have gave her this from my fingers?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

NeZ, it is impossible that she got it from your fingers. If she had an abnormal pap she has high risk hpv. It means that over time it could (but not necessarily) cause cervical cancer. It sounds like she is taking the proper steps by getting the colposcopy. They may want to treat it (called dysplasia) or if it is just mild they may want to wait and do a re-pap in 3 to 6 months because it could clear up on it's own. Again, the warts on your fingers did not cause it!

Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #14

neZ HB User

Alright then. I am satisfied with that answer.

Now, I guess, her and I play the waiting game to see if it clears up.

How long does HPV usually take to clear out of the system? I have had these warts for maybe 3 years now (or slightly longer) and they seem impossible to get rid of using over-the-counter stuff. I figure that they'll just clear up on their own in time. At least that is what I hope. If they do clear up (and they are very mild, in any case), does that mean that the HPV is out of my system?

What about my girlfriend - how long before she will clear up? And are there any signs of that?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Kenshin HB User

Well both high risk and low risk give you abnormal pap smear. 2 years it normally takes for it to eaither disappear or become doormet. but itt can always reoccur. Best thing to do is to ask the doctor what strain she got. BUT ITS not from your finger. the virus strains that effect the gental and throat are way diffrent from the one on the hand and leg, the hand and leg ones are not STI (Sexual transmitted infection). its on the [ deleted ] website.trust me and my are dealing with that issue ,look at my post

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-08-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Closed Thread