It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

redheadchick HB User
Unhappy acid treatment and warts

Well after being diagnosed with hpv and genital warts almost 3 months ago my warts have proceeded to get increasingly worse. So when i went back to my gyno i set up an appointment to finally have them removed. Well they say that they are going to do the acid treatment. I am just curious if anybody here has ever had this treatment done? They mentioned that it would sting and i have this really strong feeling that it is really going to sting big time. Any suggestions how i might need to prepare? I am hoping that this will kick start my immune system to get this virus into remission. My stress level has been really high since all this and I know that has not helped. Plus the mono i had during summer didnt help either.

I am just a little nervious about whole proceedure and could use any help/suggestions that anybody might have.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

PlainJane00 HB User
Re: acid treatment and warts

I have had the treatment done twice now, and I wish someone would have been able to tell ME what it was like. So I'm glad I found your post! First of all, I have to tell you that I am the biggest baby ever, so if I can live through it, so can you! That being said, it does sting...quite a bit. For me, it stung pretty badly for the first 10 minutes or so...I just clenched my fists and remembered to breathe! It remained pretty sore for the first full day. The first time I had it done, I actually took the day off work because I wasn't sure if I could handle sitting at work all day long. The second time, I went straight from the doctor's office back to work; while I was uncomfortable and sore, it was definitely manageable. Anyway, you will be less and less sore with each day that passes, and the pain usually goes completely away within 3-5 days. I do have to warn you (no one told me this would be an issue) that on the 2nd day after treatment, I began to have burning during urination (I'm guessing because there are essentially open wounds left from the acid). It's not as bad as the burning you would get from a UTI and goes away within a day....so it's not THAT bad, just something I wasn't expecting. It may not happen for you, though.

Anyway, although the treatments are definitely not fun, I do think that it is well worth it. For me, it was VERY effective at wiping out the existing warts. Within a few days after the treatment, you will feel better and the skin affected by the acid will simply fall off. (Mine always came off when I wiped with toilet paper...don't be alarmed when you see it for the first time! It's just skin.)

I think there are different strengths of acid available...I know my doctor used a 50% TCA solution. If your doctor uses a higher strength, this may up the pain factor a bit, I would imagine.

Also, hope that you have a careful doctor! Mine accidentally touched her glove that had acid on it on my THIGH and it burned my skin and I now have a scar. Grrrrrr. I really don't mean to scare you...I've never heard of anyone else accidentally getting burned on their leg! I'm just the lucky one!

Anyway, I hope this was of some help to you. You WILL live through this, and it's a quick way to get rid of the warts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

redheadchick HB User

Thanks so much for the advice, i appreciate it greatly. I am looking forward to having my life back to normal after this. I have dealt with these for far too long. However, I have another question about the treatment. Have you had anymore come back since having those removed?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
(female)

PlainJane00 HB User

I don't THINK I have any more, but I'm going to have my dr. check for sure next week. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
(female)

bbwnva4u HB User

hi... i also have hpv type 11..my doc just gave me a cream and it worked..I have had hpv for 4 years..and it has not gone away..the virus part I mean..what are you doing to help your body fight the virus to keep from giving it to others?....

Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
(female)

redheadchick HB User

well, i just had the acid treatment done and i admit it wasnt as bad as i thought. my gyno wants me to come back again next week to check out the progress. so i am hoping this will help kick start it into remission.

as far as giving it to others, i am in a commited relationship so i am not planning on being with anybody else. also, i belive my current partner is the person who might have given it to me, considering i have never shown any symptoms prior. however, since the onset of my warts my partner and i have not been intimate (going on 4 months now), which i am starting to really miss! But i have been trying to keep my immune system in check by eating healthy and exercising. i am hoping that will help fight the virus too.
i am trying not to stress out either, but that is really hard sometimes.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
(female)

redheadchick HB User

so i went for round two today, and the stinging was much worse this time. but i am doing better now. my gyno wants me to come again in a week. but he said that they looked much better today, i am hoping that today was the last round of treatment. anywho that's my update.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
(female)

redheadchick HB User

its been about 5 days since my second treatment. this past time my gyno had to treat one that was kinda right inside the lips, well the area is really read and feels a bit swollen. Almost like there is another bump there...i don't know if this is normal or maybe its irritated? Have any of you experienced this with after having the acid treatment?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
(female)

upset111 HB User

I just had my second treatment as well. Mine are very small, and hardly noticeable. My first treatment I went in, and it stung like HELL-O...and then I went in two weeks later and got another, and my gyne told me that she hopes that they will go dormant, since they are so small.

Well they came back about a month and a half later, and one didn't go away completely, but my gyne told me she thinks that is just a hair follicle, since I shave.

But I got treated again for it anyways, with a bout 5 more that had popped up, all real close together. Mine appear on the perenium, (area between the very bottom of the vagina opening, to the begining of the anus)

Everytime I have been treated, the day after it still hurts, and the area with acid all swells, I am guessing this is because the wart is dieing and eventually falls off..??

I wait about two weeks before having any contact again with my boyfriend of 5 yrs who knows, and understands my condition. Otherwise it is too painful to really touch til it heals up again.

It really hurt my feelings and self-esteem when they came back again after the first treatment, I was devastated, but now I just think of it as a routine in my life, to just check down below every day out of the shower, just like checking yourself for breast cancer, or brushing your teeth, and your other daily activities. It lessens the stress and worry about it. Just accepting it and knowing what I can do to eliminate the warts makes me feel a lot better. I dont tell anyone about it, except my partner, and we both just cope with it. Talking about it has made me feel a lot better about the situation and myself. It will all eventually get better!

I have also just got prescribed aldera, I asked my gyne about that, and I read online that it helps your immune system recognize the virus when it has an outbreak, so it decreases the chance of having many warts pop up. But you can still always spread the virus with or without warts showing up.

I hope everything gets better for you , it's really not that bad, my boyfriend always tells me, "there are many other things that you could have that are 10x worse!"

Closed Thread