It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

sharona714 HB User
Question Very confused, need advice please

Hi, I was just diagnosed with cervical cancer. Luckily it was caught early so chances are very good all I will need is a hysterectomy and will be cured. Here is where my problem comes in. I have been with my husband and ONLY my husband for a long time. If he gave me the HPV that caused the cancer, will I never really get rid of it? Even if he didn't, he surely must have got it from me and now the Dr. tells me sometimes after the surgery the HPV will also be gone but how can that happen if me and my husband keep giving the virus back and forth to each other? I don't want to live in fear of the cancer returning but if I never am able to get rid of the strain that caused this whole thing to begin with, I don't know what the answer is. Sometimes I think I never want to have sex with him again but I love him and that would be just absolutely riddiculous to think that way. I know HPV is not only spread through sex but also skin to skin but still, the odds are much greater that I will always have it if we keep having a ping pong effect with the virus. I am just so confused .Can anyone help me understand this a little better? I don't want to end my marriage over this but I am so afraid.: Thanks

Last edited by sharona714; 06-07-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Very confused, need advice please

Calm down the virus doesn't work that way.

You cannot keep giving the virus back and forth to each other. You both have it and that is it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

sharona714 HB User

If you research how HPV spreads, it will tell you and my Dr. even mentioned something about skin to skin to me. I was confused about all that also. Mothers who are pregnant can pass HPV to their babies during childbirth too. I guess you really can't live your life trying to avoid this. 99% of the time it is not the "high risk" strain of the virus so I guess that's good

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-07-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: People can think to do their own searches.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

furtiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
how is hpv spread skin to skin? are you saying you can catch it just from touching someone who has it?
thats a new one....
Touching and sexual activities, yes. There are way too many HPV strains, (like the one that cause lip sores; or skin herpes) and it is so common that it is assumed that 80% of sexually active people carry some strains.. even the one that are high risks for cervical cancer are too common. It is detectable for females initally by PAP Smear abnormalities, than verified by HPV DNA test, no test yet for males. Gradasil protects young women (not sex active yet) from some of the strains

Most of the doctors assume that sex is the only way you get; through a partner who has it (active or inactive, meaning with or without detectable signs) if you continue with the same one, you cant re-infect each other, but changing partners puts you at risks.

That being said, it is not clear that sexual activity is the only way to pass the virus.
Sharona you might not need something as drastic as hysteroctomy, what grade is your dysplasia? there are other ways to treat it.

Last edited by furtiva; 06-07-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

sharona714 HB User

I wish I had dysplasia. I have cervical cancer stage 1b. My Dr. feels very confident all will be gone with the surgery but again I don't want to live with this strain of HPV for the rest of my life. I was tested and have strain #16. The high risk strain. I must stress though that many many people have this strain and it does NOT turn to cancer but I was pregnant at the time I had it so maybe the comprmised immume system you have when you are pregnant caused my abnormal cells to turn to cancer.Who knows, doesn't matter at this point but I don't know how to avoid the possibility of me and my husband reinfecting each other. I know your immune system can get rid of it but not if this is the case. This is all confusing to me so you see my dilemma?

Closed Thread